Repro or Diva?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

doesn't matter, after running them through sausage fattener like most idiots do, they sound exactly alike.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:doesn't matter, after running them through sausage fattener like most idiots do, they sound exactly alike.
Yea and sound like it's straight outta 2015? F*ck that it's the current year! Even idiots know that shit's dated as f*ck...

Diva sounds better in a mix when i switched the effects OFF from repro the sound wasn't as good as diva fought with the bass with lot of processing. With diva I barely need processing nothing it's the only synth plugin that doesn't make u hair splitting ur hair in a mix down plus Bazille.I might not like the hw PRO 1 for bass maybe as well diva really sounds fabulous it smokes budget analogs. For me it's the most important how it sounds in a mix. Diva it's massive time and money saver would wish less known emulations on it something more rare Uhe imagination would be the best..

lacandon wrote:Diva sounds better in a mix when i switched the effects OFF from repro the sound wasn't as good as diva fought with the bass with lot of processing. With diva I barely need processing nothing it's the only synth plugin that doesn't make u hair splitting ur hair in a mix down plus Bazille.I might not like the hw PRO 1 for bass maybe as well diva really sounds fabulous it smokes budget analogs. For me it's the most important how it sounds in a mix. Diva it's massive time and money saver would wish less known emulations on it something more rare Uhe imagination would be the best..
Hi,
of course it sounds better without the totally overdone EFX. They wash out the mix and make it blurry. And often Effects without a funktion as pre-delay take away much of the punch and bite. I always (there are exceptions of course) would record an instrument dry. Everything is done when mixing starts and only this way every sound design possibility stays open.

When there occurs a problem with the bass (not prominent enough in the mix) then it is in most of the cases a frequency problem in correlation with other bassy instruments like synths, bass-drums and so on. You may have phase-problems? Every instrument should cover its own frequency and if there are two which are overlapping than it makes sense to cut one of them in a certain frequency. For me the consideration of spreading the frequency spectrum of a track is already an important part of composing. I consider these steps: composing, arranging, instrument-selection, recording, mixing. On principle you can make a really fat bass which is standing out in a mix by just using every given synth (or accustic bass)! Parallel compression, ducking, cutting, frequency handling and so on are your friends for that. Cheers

To pick one, Diva. But really, both (3) are great! :tu:

Urs wrote:Diva for smooth analogue sweet spots all over. Repro for the raw stuff.
Diva's digital emulations can get pretty raw too! Both are great synths. I use them a lot! :tu:

nichttuntun wrote:
lacandon wrote:Diva sounds better in a mix when i switched the effects OFF from repro the sound wasn't as good as diva fought with the bass with lot of processing. With diva I barely need processing nothing it's the only synth plugin that doesn't make u hair splitting ur hair in a mix down plus Bazille.I might not like the hw PRO 1 for bass maybe as well diva really sounds fabulous it smokes budget analogs. For me it's the most important how it sounds in a mix. Diva it's massive time and money saver would wish less known emulations on it something more rare Uhe imagination would be the best..
Hi,
of course it sounds better without the totally overdone EFX. They wash out the mix and make it blurry. And often Effects without a funktion as pre-delay take away much of the punch and bite. I always (there are exceptions of course) would record an instrument dry. Everything is done when mixing starts and only this way every sound design possibility stays open.

When there occurs a problem with the bass (not prominent enough in the mix) then it is in most of the cases a frequency problem in correlation with other bassy instruments like synths, bass-drums and so on. You may have phase-problems? Every instrument should cover its own frequency and if there are two which are overlapping than it makes sense to cut one of them in a certain frequency. For me the consideration of spreading the frequency spectrum of a track is already an important part of composing. I consider these steps: composing, arranging, instrument-selection, recording, mixing. On principle you can make a really fat bass which is standing out in a mix by just using every given synth (or accustic bass)! Parallel compression, ducking, cutting, frequency handling and so on are your friends for that. Cheers
None of these u said diva just sounds better in a mix I've noticed with Analog synths that I don't like them in the mix as well. Its not about to process the shit out of them it'd about what u get in the beginning diva it's excellent in a mix u can hear it compare to other synths which needs processing to fit the mix

You could take any synth, screw a sound you like, make it your carrying base sound-design element of your song and build everything else around it. Nobody would say, that it doesn´t sound good in your mix. It´s much about idea, sound, and of course composition/ arrangement/ chord-extensions/ usage of modes or mixed modes and chord-progressions. The "normal" listener wouldn´t recognize it anyway. He/ she will always listen to the song as a hole and not to a single sound in it ;)

P.S.
Of course there are instruments which you pull in an overcrowded mix and they always will win more recognition than other instruments. But every instrument is useful for certain things but regarding the discussion between DIVA and REPRO, it is short thought to say one is better than another. Yes in certain circumstances maybe one is fitting better than the other.

Both are pure Sound-Design-Monsters with so many capabilities that it is not reasonable to approach them this way. I think it´s not appropriate to say this or that is better because the bass (for example) does not cut through a mix at once. Who would reduce these machines as bass-providers anyway? :)

Anyhow...again. When an instrument hasn´t enough bite in a busy mix...than in most of the time there is something wrong with the mixing technique and the layering strategy and in most other cases the other tracks already have to much bite.

That's another story of u make bad layer etc.. Trust me I've used many synths.... I work very precise I am actually sound designer too. Some synths just sounds better in a mix without much further processing. Virus it's good example it just fit without much work Tone2
for example it doesn't..and many others.
I would not call Repro sound design monster neither Diva.Zebra it could be described as sound design monster.. Repro it's very simple synth. Diva it's more versatile.

lacandon wrote:That's another story of u make bad layer etc.. Trust me I've used many synths.... I work very precise I am actually sound designer too. Some synths just sounds better in a mix without much further processing. Virus it's good example it just fit without much work Tone2
I would not call Repro sound design monster neither Diva.Zebra it could be described as sound design monster.. Repro it's very simple synth. Diva it's more versatile.
Hi lacandon,
"Some synths just sounds better in a mix without much further processing. Virus it's good example it just fit without much work"
- Agreed, that´s a fact without a doubt. Maybe replace "better" with "more fitting"?
In the case of a hardware VIRUS (and most digital sounding synth like FM/ Wavetable/ Additive/ PD- machines) that´s no wonder. The Virus has a very "bity" engine with sometimes harsh digitally overtone style and a beat in down region but especially in the high end. It will cut through a mix like a butter knife, if that is the sound you need/ want :)

"Repro it's very simple synth"
- Agreed to some degree. It somwhow really is some kind of post-punk machine. Easy, fast, direct in your face, based on the original hardware unit bands like SKINNY PUPPY used endless times when they startet early 80th. In the digital version there are many different sounds possible especially with the polyphonic version.

"I would not call Repro sound design monster neither Diva / Zebra it could be described as sound design monster"
- Agreed concerning ZEBRA. Of course you cannot expect an analog emulation to be as versatile as a modern Wavetable-Synthl like ZEBRA, Palms PPG WAVEGENERATOR or PPG INFINITE or an additive Synth.
DIVA for me nevertheless is a true theme park of sound options paradise. I am screwing very long on a synth sometimes just for fun and the output of totally different sounds each time I dig deeper surprises me again and again.
- REPRO hasn´t as much possibilities as DIVA that´s true but the presets alone offer a very big variety of totally different sounds. When you manipulate knobs yourself there is a completely additional soundworld happening.

I think it is a "good" thing to regard every machine by its own as a closed system and not to compare.

Joyful sound-creation :)

Analog can be as versatile as digital mopho tetra, pulse 2 etc have impressive modulation ranges.
Repro it's excellent as it is and I will use it as it has the rawness but behringer are coming with cheap version as well.
U he synths are great instruments which sounds better then majority of the cheap hw.
Can't wait what they will come up with Analog emulations are fine but there its more to be discovered definitely.Dedicated midi as the Roland system 1 would be a game changer for u he synths..

Repro, repro and repro, I'm actually using the real thing now all because of Repro. Well and because I always wanted one too :D
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

lacandon wrote:Some synths just sounds better in a mix without much further processing. Virus it's good example it just fit without much work Tone2
The interesting thing is that 2 experienced people will say the opposite about a particular synth sounding better in a mix.

It's a pretty subjective thing based on your musical interests and style and so on.

Yes sound it's subjective but some synths was just designed better then others not everyone its a good chef. Especially in the box there are tons of synths sounding thin and plastic with a lot of low mid buildup etc it's everything comes down to how they are designed filters oscs envelopes. With good converters and good ears all that it's very obvious to hear. If they all sounded amazing why bother buying 3d party then.. You can be experienced as much as u want but Opel will never become Porsche etc..
In the case of u he it's just they have the talent and ears,some others have great technical knowledge but not hearing..

pdxindy wrote:
lacandon wrote:Some synths just sounds better in a mix without much further processing. Virus it's good example it just fit without much work Tone2
The interesting thing is that 2 experienced people will say the opposite about a particular synth sounding better in a mix.

It's a pretty subjective thing based on your musical interests and style and so on.
Pretty much. I go to Diva more often not because I think it fits better in the mix (Personally, I think most synths don't just "fit" in the mix without some kind of processing) but because I find it has a wider sound pallet. I mean let's face it. It has more filters, more oscillators, more of just about everything. And while Repro-1 has some wicked FX, it's monophonic so is limited to what it can be used for at least in comparison to Diva. Sure, sometimes I want those wicked FX and have to turn to Repro-1, but I don't find Repro-5 as doing anything that Diva can't do just as well.

In fact, I would have been perfectly content had U-he just released Repro-1 without Repro-5.

Of course with all the synths I have (finally, I confess that I have way too many of them) going to one synth more than another, these days, doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Unless there's something that I know one synth does better than any other, I find I'm spending most of my time browsing through my synth list and feeling like I'm swimming in the Atlantic Ocean without a life preserver. And yeah, I know I should probably just sell some stuff but what? I don't really use anything exclusively anymore. In fact, even synths like Synthmaster and Omnisphere, which I used to use all the time, I use seldom. But then I seem to be using everything seldom these days.

Fortunately, my purchases this year have been way down. I think I will spend 10% of what I spent last year. So at least that's a step in the right direction.

In the meantime, the track I'm working on right now will contain Pianoteq, MODO Bass, MTDrummer, Sampled Guitar and vocals and MAYBE one synth. Which one? I have no clue at this point.

Yeah, the runaway train has finally gone off the rails.

Return to “Instruments”