Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
KrotosAudio
KVRer

5 posts since 8 Jun, 2016

Postby KrotosAudio; Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 am Weapon sound design

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here do much weapon recording for games, films or even beat-making purposes?

If so, what's your usual workflow?

Apparently, 93% of all movies include at least one gunfight but creating unique weapon sounds can be costly and also take a long time! I work for Krotos and to address this, our team recently decided to create a new tool called Weaponiser:
https://www.krotosaudio.com/2018/02/20/ ... overview-1

It can also be used for layering beats and music production in general:
https://www.krotosaudio.com/2018/02/20/ ... roduction/

Is this something any of you might use?

Jeremy
zeep
KVRAF

1700 posts since 17 May, 2005

Postby zeep; Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:41 am Re: Weapon sound design

I had seen this a while ago. Seems perfect for working with recorded weapon sounds and preparing them for use in the game engine.
Is it only available with the library?
KrotosAudio
KVRer

5 posts since 8 Jun, 2016

Postby KrotosAudio; Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 am Re: Weapon sound design

Yes there are two versions - Weaponiser Basic and Weaponiser Fully Loaded and both come with a variety of presets and sounds although you can't buy them independently of the plug-in:
https://www.krotosaudio.com/weaponiser/
zeep
KVRAF

Postby zeep; Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 am Re: Weapon sound design

I understand. The reason i ask is because for many game projects there is already a library of recorded sounds, so there is no real need for more. So in that case i would be interested in the software only, for a reduced price.

There's certainly use for extra sounds when mixing though. In any case, i will keep Weaponizer in mind.
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF

2693 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:43 am Re: Weapon sound design

Oh god, what the world has come to. Now that is a specialized, niche tool :o
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
vurt
addled muppet weed

35626 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 pm Re: Weapon sound design

DJ Warmonger wrote:Oh god, what the world has come to. Now that is a specialized, niche tool :o

hmmm with a name like yours, youd think youd be all over this!
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22495 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:50 pm Re: Weapon sound design

Ridan
KVRian

941 posts since 10 Dec, 2014, from one rocky mountain to another

Postby Ridan; Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm Re: Weapon sound design

Use to dabble in weapon-esque sound effects a few years ago. Would highly suggest any sort of granular effect as the main component of either a source sample or a basic synthesized "weapon" sound. For this i made a generic laser sound in Massive, two customized deep drones and used some field recordings of tin trash cans and enclosed garage doors. Put it through Alchemy's engine, but honestly don't think it was necessary now that i look back. Kind of muddled the sounds more so than needed. The main tool was New Sonic Arts "Granite".

The Speed and Space functions being the second most essential outside of the source sounds. Having the laser, drones, and field recordings on three separate tracks cycling through each individual sound at different times gave it a sort of battlefield - weaponry atmosphere.

https://soundcloud.com/bcaudio/futurist ... field-2015
zeep
KVRAF

Postby zeep; Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 am Re: Weapon sound design

That sounds good Ridan.
Guenon
KVRian

1453 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:03 am Re: Weapon sound design

KrotosAudio wrote:Does anyone here do much weapon recording for games, films or even beat-making purposes?
If so, what's your usual workflow?

I usually go with a hybrid approach, record custom material with different mic setups, all sorts of impact/metallic/structural/steamy/etc. stuff... Not only clearly weapon-like, but elements I can use for different layers of a finished sound. Then I combine those with synthesized components, but instead of keeping the synth stuff realtime in the final sound, I first print all synthesized elements as rendered raw material as well, usually right when I'm tweaking/improvising those components ("record what I hear"). So if I'm doing imaginary sci-fi weapons for instance, at the end of that phase I might have narrowed it down to some 4-6 hours worth of raw material in audio form, spread out and picked on the timeline in Live for previewing and cutting.

Then I manipulate that stuff in samplers and granular software and the like, concentrating on the interplay of those different elements that happen during a single weapon oneshot. Amplitude and pitch enveloping is at the core of that, and also getting nice granular colors for some components; Ridan detailed a similar approach that sounds familiar :)

Especially when doing imaginary weapons, sometimes ones that fire slow large projectiles, or conversely small energy ones, haha, having those real-world recordings helps to give the weapon sound the concrete sense of material and weight and "flight" and inertia and so on.

Fun oneshots like:

https://soundcloud.com/guenooni/scifi-b ... s2/s-6kFUN

And classic techniques like:

https://soundcloud.com/guenooni/scifi-b ... -1/s-9vNAq

and so on :)
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:49 am Re: Weapon sound design

perchoo!
thats my finger blaster sound effect.
Guenon
KVRian

Postby Guenon; Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:52 am Re: Weapon sound design

vurt wrote:perchoo!

:D

In that one, the stuff that sounds most like the classic blaster (Star Wars) is literally a slinky! Tried to record it just the way they did it back in the 70s.
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 am Re: Weapon sound design

Guenon wrote:
vurt wrote:perchoo!

:D

In that one, the stuff that sounds most like the classic blaster (Star Wars) is literally a slinky! Tried to record it just the way they did it back in the 70s.
cool. reading the sound design of star wars was an eye opener, lots of clever foley work.
Guenon
KVRian

Postby Guenon; Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:03 am Re: Weapon sound design

vurt wrote:cool. reading the sound design of star wars was an eye opener, lots of clever foley work.

Yeah, exactly. Relevant techniques even these days... And very cool :). Recording real-world raw material gives that certain organic and classic vibe to a lot of sound design like this. Also recording electromagnetic interference and the like, and using that as raw material in the same way, in addition to the usual audible mechanical vibrations recorded through acoustic/conductive means.
vurt
addled muppet weed

Postby vurt; Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:11 am Re: Weapon sound design

Guenon wrote:
vurt wrote:cool. reading the sound design of star wars was an eye opener, lots of clever foley work.

Yeah, exactly. Relevant techniques even these days... And very cool :). Recording real-world raw material gives that certain organic and classic vibe to a lot of sound design like this. Also recording electromagnetic interference and the like, and using that as raw material in the same way, in addition to the usual audible mechanical vibrations recorded through acoustic/conductive means.
its also good fun smacking the tension cables on telegraph poles with a big stick. :D
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sound Design