One Synth Challenge #109: Fathom Synth by Seaweed Audio (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

functionform wrote:Now if I could just find that pitch bend range...
I haven't tried this, but could you not just add a modulator (or several ones for several oscillators) that controls the pitch via MIDI controller pitch bend? I think if youdo this, the modulation amount doesn't add to the default pitchbend range, but it might replace it all the same, so you could get even smaller pitchbend ramges than the default one like this ... Not 100% sure though if this works.
Edit: try bipolar mode for the modulator

Entry:

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/bh9090 ... thom-mix02

All harmony is done with mono patches using multi oscillators tuned at intervals. I did that before the poly version was available and just kept it.

66 instances in Live 10 with Auto Pan, Auto Filter, Delays, Compressors, EQ8, Saturator, Overdrive, Redux, Reverb, Gate, Limiter.

3rd party: Tal Reverb 4, TDR Slick EQ.

FathomSynth wrote:Rktect, Hi, I sent you a PM.

But also, I had my Sierra workstation open, so I'm going to just go ahead and make you a version 295 build for Sierra with the new code with new features and bug fixes, but using the old plugin ID.

Hopefully your Ableton will think it is the same plugin, so you don't have to reload all your tracks.

OK, I sent you a PM with the new code built with the old plugin ID, I'm hoping that your host will like it and think it is the same plugin.

Hello, Fathom

I'm having the same problem with El Capitan 10.11.6

I'll make you a build.

OK, I sent you a PM with the Mac download using the old plugin code.

https://soundcloud.com/functionform/osc109-dead/s-PCWzy

In the tradition of others, my non-submission. I labored over this, but ultimately I don't "feel" it driving me. fwiw 19 instances. just some side chaining mostly on the daw side. fathom definitely falls easy into a mix.

Sometimes you dislike a track, but it tells you how to complete it, sometimes you you like and it shows you how to make it even better (the dream/true love!), and then other times, you like it but it just.. doesn't... go anywhere. Might have to start from zero!

I might end up homeless from losing my job and wife over osc 109. This is on you Fathom! Think I'll take a break for day to start with fresh ears. I will definitely finish something. Might not be as complete as I would like, but something will be done!

Hey Functionform, don't start over from zero....that's my curse! lol

What you have sounds great so far, especially the beginning all the way to the zippy zip build. I like how it drops down, so maybe in measures 5-8 after the feel change, build it right back up pretty quick and hit it hard. Make sense? just my two cents, though :) Maybe that will help you get it going again when you come back from ear rest...or divorce court :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Thanks NS, I'll think about it. Part of the problem is that I feel there is this bipolar angle to the track that wants to split into two. Maybe if I take sometime I'll feel out which one direction wants more attention.

I know what you mean. I really like those big anthem saw chords and arp lines, though. All of the sounds are well crafted.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

FathomSynth wrote:I'll make you a build.

OK, I sent you a PM with the Mac download using the old plugin code.
Any of my hosts except for Max is complaining. Its not a big deal, but I would like to have a consistant and never changing ID in the future. It has to be fixed for ever, and it has to be the same for Mac and Win...
I did not do any automation yet, because I modulate with my MIDI controllers...

All Mac users, report in.

I can change the plugin code back to "0000" permanently on the Mac, which will fix the problem for everyone.

Of course anyone recently who made a big song with lots of tracks with the code set to the new "SEAW" will then have the same problem.

The reason I changed it to "SEAW" is so it was the same as the code in Windows.

We can bite the bullet now and everyone save their track presets and reload them and have the code match the plugin code across all products in Windows and Mac or we can keep it 0000 in Mac so current users are OK.

I can go either way on this, so let's have a Mac user vote please.

FathomSynth wrote:All Mac users, report in.

I can change the plugin code back to "0000" permanently on the Mac, which will fix the problem for everyone.

Of course anyone recently who made a big song with lots of tracks with the code set to the new "SEAW" will then have the same problem.

The reason I changed it to "SEAW" is so it was the same as the code in Windows.

We can bite the bullet now and everyone save their track presets and reload them and have the code match the plugin code across all products in Windows and Mac or we can keep it 0000 in Mac so current users are OK.

I can go either way on this, so let's have a Mac user vote please.
0000 is a bad idea, those who didn't save their presets, would need temporarily an old version, save the presets, and then reload it into their sessions. thats what I did. It has to be unique and the same for Win and OSX...
Please simply keep SEAW from now on...

My song :
https://soundcloud.com/user-319698205/s ... uitlunaire

9 Fathom instance
Waves F6
Waves X-Click
Waves H Delay
Waves NLS
KHS Chorus
KHS Trance Gate
KHS Reverb
Softube FET
BBE Sonic Sweet

FathomSynth wrote:I can change the plugin code back to "0000" permanently on the Mac, which will fix the problem for everyone.
Not for me, because I adapted already to SEAW...; - )

Some other notes and suggestions. I found a lot of the factories have a certain roughness. Nothing wrong with it, but I also found, that it is due to pretty high default values for detuning and fine tuning.
The Pitch Fine and the Detune Fine knobs is spanning 100 cent and in most cases set to 0.250, which is a 8th note or 25 cent. Whenever I change the number of voices, the default values are set again... A much better and useful default for detuning would be around 3 to 4 cent...
Of course you can adjust things with the Detune Amount, but that has a default of 0.5, which creates a detuning of 12.5 cent as default
My suggestion then would be, default Detune Fine, set to 0.100, and default Detune Amount to 0.20 on the Detune page...
Changing defaults would not change existing presets, it should not be a big deal...
Also if I set the voices to a higher value, the Detune Fine settings for a lower number of voices is not copied, it is spread out again with way too high values. It would be better, to at least average the spanning of the lower voice settings...

On the global settings, I would love to see the pitch bend range. It could be done with the space the Glide Mode knob is taking. As polyphony is ignored as soon the Glide is set to either time or rate, this could be incorporated into the polyphony knob, by having two positions for polyphony 1:
"1 Time" and "1 Rate", and as soon Polyphony is bigger than 1, Glide is off...
At the moment for any preset I recall, the first duty is, to set as many modulators as there are oscillators and set the Pitch Octave to be modulated by an amount of 0.461 to get my 24 semitone pitch bend range I need and want always...

This leads immediately to the next demand, I would love to see meaningful units. For pitch for example, usually I want to set the range to full semitones. Rather than setting a value between 0 and 1, I want to set it between 0 and 48 (seems the max for Pitch Octave) or between 0 and 4 (which makes it more difficult to set it to values in between).
My 0.461 value, is probably not exact either, because I could not find the hidden Modulators, which control the existing pitch bend range of 2

Last for now: I want both, save and save as. When I find a preset I want to tweak to something new, I need save as, but then I just want to save and not think about, that it creates new versions each time I save. I also don't get why the contrast of all those icons is so low, that you cannot see those buttons. Just enlighten them!

Beautiful - ... - please make an 8 minute version of it without abrupt end...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote:
Beautiful - ... - please make an 8 minute version of it without abrupt end...; - )
hey thx for listening !! :tu:
An other version is in my plan ;) with hardware and more longer.

Return to “Instruments”