Best Spring Reverb Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haha!! Interesting story

Just had an email from JRR Shop saying PSP Springbox is for sale for $29 and PSP Nexcellence for $49 (both cheaper once in the cart) - I've already got SKNote Necklace, has anyone had a chance to compare to PSP Nexcellence, and if which do they prefer ?

Softube has a spring reverb on sale for 50% off as well.

mcbpete wrote:Just had an email from JRR Shop saying PSP Springbox is for sale for $29 and PSP Nexcellence for $49 (both cheaper once in the cart) - I've already got SKNote Necklace, has anyone had a chance to compare to PSP Nexcellence, and if which do they prefer ?
I just compared the demo of Nexcellence with SKnote Necklace (and a number of other spring reverbs I have). Nexcellece and Necklace sound completely different. Necklace's "sproing" sound doesn't sound like a spring as much as room early reflections, but it's not exactly room sounding. Also those reflections do capture the sound of going back and forth through a spring. Nexcellence has more of a real spring sproing sound and sounds more like a spring reverb. Necklace sounds good and has a different but useful sound so it's not a bad reverb.

I don't think Nexcellence overlaps enough with Necklace to influence a buying decision. However, Nexcellence does have more over-lap with Agean Spirit and some Nebula 4 programs I have.

I will probably buy Nexcellence because it has a lot of control over the reverb sound and some nice other features like EQ, limiter and a lot of control over the stereo image.

Well that's me sold, thanks for the in depth description / comparison :)

EDIT: Looks like it's even cheaper still by a couple of dollars over at Audiodeluxe

mcbpete wrote:Well that's me sold, thanks for the in depth description / comparison :)

EDIT: Looks like it's even cheaper still by a couple of dollars over at Audiodeluxe
you're welcome! Don't forget you get a discount with PSP directly if you have other products of theirs - my discount gets the price down to $33!

UAD AKG BX 20

I just bought Softube Spring Reverb. Once I get the code I will do a video shoot out between 7 different spring rev plugins and 4 Nebula 4 spring programs.

Oh yeah, I always seem to forget their offering. They make good tech, also worth a look at.

There’s also always the Impulse Response avenue. You could always checkout your friendly neighbourhood convolution reverb to see if you like anything they have to offer. Your DAW most likely has one. I’ve heard of IRs being available online, some free. You might find something worthwhile downloading and installing in your convolution reverb.

Spring reverbs always remind me of what I would do as a young kid when I’d crawl under the couch to play with its “suspension” springs like a musical instrument. I used to find that whole fascinating.

Flash forward and I don’t use them nearly as much as I should. Probably time to reassess that.

The spring reverb in Bazille is pretty great. Someday, Urs, someday :(

I've got PSP Springbox, very nice sound and light on CPU. GUI could be larger (and/or scalable), but this is a typical problem for most PSP plugins.

plexuss wrote:I just bought Softube Spring Reverb. Once I get the code I will do a video shoot out between 7 different spring rev plugins and 4 Nebula 4 spring programs.
please use snares for some? dub style.

Aegean always seems to get the best reviews
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I just went through my 14 spring reverb plugins. Nexcellence sounds very much like the Nebula TimP library The Great Spring. However the only parameters with the Nebula library are mix, gain and pre-delay. So for more versatility and to avoid the annoyances of Nebula, Nexcellence makes a good option. Nexcellence was not similar to: PSP SpringBox, Necklace, Spirit, SpringAge, Softube or Outer Space. So you are pretty safe getting Nexcellence if you are worried about it being to similar to other spring reverbs.

My God... I just realised that if I was a developer, as an Aussie I could make a spring reverb called Alice Spring, after the city!! Haha!!

Yeah, lame I know, but still...

Return to “Effects”