Dialing SunnO))) tone with VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings!
This is my first post in this forums, and I actually have a question about tone.
I am an ambient/rock/metal guitar player, and I have a couple of VST FX which helped me dialing lots of good and heavy, dreamy and catchy tones.
Now, I need my most favorite drone-y and doomy tone. The SunnO))) tone. I read lots of Interviews from Stephen F. O'Malley, and he mentioned Fuzz pedals to get a sustained and distorted tone. I tried Facial Fuzz (from POD Farm) and that fuzz pedal from Guitar Rig. I think I also need a good delay for that.
I really need your help on a good delay and a good fuzz plugin.

I'll bite...

Guitar > Interface > Fuzz > Pitchshift (-1 + -2 octaves) > Distortion Amp modulation.

Tune guitar as low as possible and wear a cloak. And don't forget a smoke machine and strobe light in your bedroom studio to complete the aesthetic \m/

:D

I was always under the impression that the immense volume Sunn O))) play at live is a key part of their sound with regard to feedback behaviour, but I've thought it for so long that it's honestly 50/50 as to whether I read it somewhere or just pulled it out of my arse.

Would brain-rattling volume be necessary in a studio setting, and if we're sticking with plug-ins (I haven't played electric since the FastTracker 2 days), is it feasible to get it in and out of the box with low enough latency to get solid feedback effects?

The volume thing is a little overated - yes it's essential for live because the physics of that extreme oppressive level of sound pressure overwhelms the listener. Evolutionary biologists even say the sheer volume may ellicit primal "fight or flight" chemical responses in the brain. But when your whole song is a couple of chords then you need to bring something else to the table to make the live experience visceral and dramatic.. and this band does that with cloaks, disorienting lightshows, esoteric imagery and Volume.

HOWEVER...

Being a guitarist I know you can get huge, huge sounds in the studio with lower volumes (feedback somewhat needs volume but pedals can help coax it out at lower volumes)... but it's definitely more fun to ask the rest of the band to leave the room and crank the stereo rig to max :D

I dunno - I've always liked the band Earth more....

MogwaiBoy wrote:
I dunno - I've always liked the band Earth more....
Their drone or post-drone era? Anyhow, Dylan Carlson is an amazing guitarist and artist.

I still have to see SunnO))) live. Some of my friends did several times and they were blown away by the viceral & unique experience.

Highly recommend seeing them live. Bring decent earplugs.

Drop guitar tuning to baritone/7-string range. Use some kind of overdrive to slam an amp with a lot of gain. Use feedback to keep the note going.

What's nice about feedback with these low power chords is you get a good period of warbling noise, compared to the shrieking sustain of high notes with feedback.

There is something special about the Model T amps they use; the only other band I've seen to get a similarly epic drone sound was Boris... and they were also using a Model T! Toying around at home I've had the best luck slamming bassman and 5150 models. Marshall and Mesa type amps try to hard to do their own thing.

Some amps need to be pushed hard to get their best tone. Unfortunately this can mean ultraloud if , like the ModelT, it's running four 6L6s in the power amp. There's a pic of the pedal board which shows a wide range of fuzz/drive/boost pedals:

Check your ampsims for an amp using 6L6s in the power amp and season with any Rat / Sovtek BMP / drive sims you have.

you have everything you need to get a good recorded sound - Guitar Rig. It is just a matter of putting in the time to figure out your own version of the sound you admire. Rammfire is a nice extension for Guitar Rig or maybe a separate product based on guitar rig - anyway it is good for some distorted tones, but everything you need is in Guitar Rig. The rest is up to your playing and how creative you are in developing techniques of composition and playing that will give you what you want

MogwaiBoy wrote:I'll bite...

Guitar > Interface > Fuzz > Pitchshift (-1 + -2 octaves) > Distortion Amp modulation.

why use +/- whole octaves, perhaps 10.7 semitones up and 11.22 down is the way to go :)

Having experienced them thrice I feel like SunnO))) is about amps, low frequency oscillations and rooms.
You could certainly get close to the album sound with Guitar Rig but the experience of sympathetic resonance in a live room is what makes them special IMHO.

resynthesis wrote:Some amps need to be pushed hard to get their best tone. Unfortunately this can mean ultraloud if , like the ModelT, it's running four 6L6s in the power amp. There's a pic of the pedal board which shows a wide range of fuzz/drive/boost pedals:

Check your ampsims for an amp using 6L6s in the power amp and season with any Rat / Sovtek BMP / drive sims you have.
pretty sure the Model T (at least the originals, dunno about the Fender reissues) are 6550/KT88s, not 6L6s. it matters (though I've mostly only used the sunn bass amps).

MogwaiBoy wrote:I'll bite...

Tune guitar as low as possible and wear a cloak. And don't forget a smoke machine and strobe light in your bedroom studio to complete the aesthetic \m/

Oh That will be amazing but neighbors will call the police as soon as they realize someone did something that evil in an apartment complex :))
For the sound output I use my laptop speakers (pure $#!t) but it's safer!
cron wrote:I was always under the impression that the immense volume Sunn O))) play at live is a key part of their sound with regard to feedback behaviour, but I've thought it for so long that it's honestly 50/50 as to whether I read it somewhere or just pulled it out of my arse.

Would brain-rattling volume be necessary in a studio setting, and if we're sticking with plug-ins (I haven't played electric since the FastTracker 2 days), is it feasible to get it in and out of the box with low enough latency to get solid feedback effects?
The volume is important, but it's not my actual problem. I could solve this problem using compressor plugins/pedals and get loud and sustained tone from my guitar (even my guitar is not designed for this purpose, it's a very normal beginner guitar). I think I need some kind of "Frippertronics" to get that nice and mind-blowing feedback.
MogwaiBoy wrote: I dunno - I've always liked the band Earth more....
I like Earth too. Dylan Carlson is one of my greatest inspirations on guitar and composition. But, to be honest, I don't like their drone music.
Neon Breath wrote: I still have to see SunnO))) live. Some of my friends did several times and they were blown away by the viceral & unique experience.
I also have to see them live. Unfortunately, they have no plans for performances in Iran, and I also think here the government won't let them perform ( I still don't know how they let Schiller and Olafur Arnalds perform in Tehran and Shiraz :D), but I watched videos of their performances. It's a magical performance!
imrae wrote:Highly recommend seeing them live. Bring decent earplugs.

Drop guitar tuning to baritone/7-string range. Use some kind of overdrive to slam an amp with a lot of gain. Use feedback to keep the note going.

What's nice about feedback with these low power chords is you get a good period of warbling noise, compared to the shrieking sustain of high notes with feedback.
I try this trick, too. I did lots of my recording with a Baritone tuning (used transformer to tune my guitar down). But I think I still need a good pitch-shifter plugin. any suggestions?
woggle wrote:you have everything you need to get a good recorded sound - Guitar Rig. It is just a matter of putting in the time to figure out your own version of the sound you admire. Rammfire is a nice extension for Guitar Rig or maybe a separate product based on guitar rig - anyway it is good for some distorted tones, but everything you need is in Guitar Rig. The rest is up to your playing and how creative you are in developing techniques of composition and playing that will give you what you want
I never heard of Rammfire before. I'll do a research on that!

Do you guys think SunnO))) could replicate and reproduce their sound with amp sims?

For anyone interested, pretty cool and interesting interview/lecture by the man himself, O’Malley.

Often talking about the live VS in studio aspect of music.

https://youtu.be/m-ZdB7pEvAs

Neon Breath wrote:Do you guys think SunnO))) could replicate and reproduce their sound with amp sims?
I don't think so, because I tried a lot. But, I hope I could get a tone close to that

Return to “Effects”