The new music bizz is all about sucking money out of DIY artists

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Supply and demand. Users demand tools. Suppliers supply them. For a price.

If you don't want the tools, or don't think you need them (maybe you don't)....don't buy them.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

sfd wrote:Becase that was the benefits of being singed in the good old days. The label brought in engineers,k producers and marketing people.
Then charged the artist for all these services, regularly spending more on the artists behalf than they could ever bring in. See Albinis seminal takedown "Some Of Your Friends Are Already This f**ked" (already linked to by resynthesis).

So is there any benefit to being signed to a label these days?
Image Image Image Image

The "modern age" is better for creative people, yes, but only in the fact that they can create more easily. Creating is much easier than ever before. However, it has never been a great time for artists to make a living on their art. That has always been a miserable prospect.

1. Most people don't buy art. This is especially the case in economic recessions ... and in failing civilizations.

2. There's consequently far too little attention (and money) to spend on even every "worthy" artist. Aside from skill, social networking (the age-old kind, not any specific type), and clever marketing, luck/chance has always been the biggest cause of success for artists. Being in the right place at the right time, fitting into cultural moments, etc.

You want a better world for artists? Get involved in politics and social systems. Promote a healthier economy and culture in your country. The USA is a great example of where it's really going wrong right now. The hatred for expertise and intellect is one of the top enemies of the arts. The obsession with Wall Street speculation results in an economy that refuses to take risks, refuses to invest in society, and centralizes wealth. Everything is connected in a very practical way (not in a woo/magical way).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

You can nowadays publish all your music on all digital platforms (iTunes, Spotify, Google, Amazon, ...) for $20 per year. You keep 100% of royalties. That is with DistroKid. There are other companies in the race of course. Some have no base fee but want 15% of royalties.

Reverbnation is a good example of those exploiters. They are totally shameless.

IMO many people expect too much from this "self marketing" thingy... they expect to invest near nothing and become the rising star after posting some slide-show videos on Youtube. But this is not the way it works. To become a successful artist you must also learn to run a business, this means in most cases that you must learn how to sell a product and most important: you must have a great product.
And to be honest, most musicians having no great product and completely no idea (and often also no interest) about running a company or to sell music as a product. So they need someone else for this part, something like a manager.

Some fall into the trap and become a "gear collecting hobbyist" who invest more time with reading forums and watching videos about producing and buy near every new available plug-in. Yes, this can suck your money out of the wallet very quickly...
You can self release music with help of this digital distributors ("aggregators") easily but without having a salable product or potential buyers this make not so much sense.

It's true that there are "zillion others doing that everyday", but most of them are not very good either. We speak about only a few percent of guys with a real chance.

Among musicians there are more brilliant musicians then businessmen. By obvious reasons. You can not become a brilliant musicansj only dealing with your musicanship halftime to spend the rest of the time doing other things.

How good an engineer, producer or salesman is the average successful artist ?

Can Lady Gaga master a mix ? What did Kurt Cobian know about marketing ? Can Madonna tune a guitar ?

These people could focus on their artistery whiel the lablel took care of the rest.

In the past you could pick up a guitar, sing a song and re cord it into a caette and send it to a label.

You had a small chance to be picked up.

Today that chance is even small if you don't provide a slick HQ demo.

As if you where applying as both a song writer, artist, engineer, producer and marketing guy.

And in most cases this is true today. Becase labels won't do anything for you anymore. Not like what they did in thje past.

At least tthey provided recording sessions with engineers and producers.

Read this open letter from a not so hugely selling, but very well known artist: Alan Wilder (ex Depeche Mode):

http://www.failedmuso.com/blog/an-open- ... think-not/

if you want to make it BIG you better drink a LOT of Milk of Magnesia :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

4damind wrote:IMO many people expect too much from this "self marketing" thingy... they expect to invest near nothing and become the rising star after posting some slide-show videos on Youtube. But this is not the way it works. To become a successful artist you must also learn to run a business, this means in most cases that you must learn how to sell a product and most important: you must have a great product.
Really?
Wikipedia wrote:"Shaddap You Face" was also Number 1 in 11 other countries. There have been over 50 different foreign language cover versions, and hundreds more published informally on YouTube with new versions being recorded and uploaded every year. The original release sold over 6 million copies and has remained the most successful Australian-produced single in Australian music history...
https://g.co/kgs/o8GKAB

i remember back before software, when guitars, keyboards and drums where all free :cry:
great days!

4damind wrote:To become a successful artist you must also learn to run a business, this means in most cases that you must learn how to sell a product and most important: you must have a great product.
This sounds very reasonable, but the fact of life, as far as I can see, is that product that actually sells is far from great. Check out on a radio.

vurt wrote:i remember back before software, when guitars, keyboards and drums where all free :cry:
great days!
Funny, I don't remember that at all.

In fact, I seem to recall working weekends as a kid and signing over my checks to the local drum shop.

The UK must be a really different place.

:o

:hihi:

sprnva wrote:So is there any benefit to being signed to a label these days?

LoL, every time I post on soundcloud I get invited to a label by a Russian temptress.

Zombie Queen wrote:
4damind wrote:To become a successful artist you must also learn to run a business, this means in most cases that you must learn how to sell a product and most important: you must have a great product.
This sounds very reasonable, but the fact of life, as far as I can see, is that product that actually sells is far from great. Check out on a radio.

Not true... it takes an enormous amount of discipline, hard networking, and just plain long nights swallowing your pride to get there. Selling your soul is hard ass work. Ask Mary on the street corner.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”