How to make your mix extra punchy and present while preserving definition and dynamic range.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If this is a joke I don't get it.
My latest release 'News to Me' features at #4 on Traxsource Essential Garage charts: https://www.traxsource.com/title/924594/january-29th

jordonpmusic wrote:If this is a joke I don't get it.
Although it isn't 100% designed as one it can be perceived as one.
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

:-) That was enjoyable.

Rameses wrote:
jordonpmusic wrote:If this is a joke I don't get it.
Although it isn't 100% designed as one it can be perceived as one.

how zen.

Seriously, a lot of your suggestions don't make a lot of sense.
The other ones seem overly complicated, a poor substitute for proper sound design and a way to get a really lifeless overprocessed sound. The opposite of a mix with definition and dynamic range, then.

My workflow is the complete opposite. I keep things as streamlined as possible and only use one or two well-judged effects on a sound, if any.. definitely no weird shit with harmonizers and multiband compressors. I love broad stroke equalizers and then glueing things together with slow compression and some saturators on sends. Saturation is really key if you're working in the box, picking the right type is 50% of it. Well-saturated sounds just sit together much better before you even start with compressors.
Reverb and delays I also keep as sendFX or sidechain them so once I have my sound dialled in, I just have two sliders (dry and wet) to worry about and don't have to go back into the plugin chain.

Your music sounds pretty cool actually. It's different. I like Triptych, reminds me of DJ Krush a bit.
But as I suspected the mixes sound very flat and lifeless to me.

Yeah, I mean, maybe I'm just used to a type of communication where one would have to think the part which is missing in the things the other one tries to say for himself so you really would have to take this tutorial less than seroiusly...^^

I'm just saying that as I proceeded from not mixing to mixing like that the quality gain would be unreal and really impressive, for me at least lol

It's like a basket full of things, there would be things you might could use but also there is some information you would regard as useless and so on because I guess that I also would forget to mention a lot of commands which would be essential parameters to make this thing work because the more steps a mastering chain has, the more you have to regard to make it actually work

thanks, Dj Krush was one of my biggest influences in the beginning of my producer "career" and yes, my focus really would be on composition and atmosphere rather than correct mastering so I guess you're right, but actually on a good stereo some of the mixes sound quite good, judged objectively. Idk, I actually know how things work but I'm too fast-paced and lazy to explain it right or even care to apply it lol have a nice day
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

"How to make your mix extra punchy and present while preserving definition and dynamic range."

Abridged: Use long attack times :)

Return to “Production Techniques”