The new music bizz is all about sucking money out of DIY artists

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sfd wrote: Becase that was the benefits of being singed in the good old days.
Not sure if that was a typo, or intentional :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

herodotus wrote:
vurt wrote:i remember back before software, when guitars, keyboards and drums where all free :cry:
great days!
Funny, I don't remember that at all.

In fact, I seem to recall working weekends as a kid and signing over my checks to the local drum shop.

The UK must be a really different place.

:o

:hihi:
In the 80s I got a government grant to buy a guitar amp, to help me get off benefits. I ended up on the Enterprise Allowance Scheme as a musician ... dole plus £10.

No one owes anyone anything... Life is tough better get a helmet. :roll:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I have never gotten a damn thing from the government.

:-x

Well, except for the down payment assistance on my house. Where I have my home studio. With my cheap but awesome microphones and 16 track interface and laptop with more cool audio stuff than I could have imagined possible in the 80s.

I guess I should stop bitching.

gummint pays me to stay out the workforce

under the notion I could go postal

Robmobius wrote:No one owes anyone anything... Life is tough better get a helmet. :roll:

I just wanted to say... ^^^ this is the correct answer.

herodotus wrote:I have never gotten a damn thing from the government.

:-x

Well, except for the down payment assistance on my house. Where I have my home studio. With my cheap but awesome microphones and 16 track interface and laptop with more cool audio stuff than I could have imagined possible in the 80s.

I guess I should stop bitching.

Haha. Music gear was relatively expensive in the 80s. Having a four track and a microphone was a real luxury. There's never been a better time for musicians so far as equipment prices are concerned.

I don't know why i am responding to this. I shouldn't even be here right now... but I'm going to do it anyway. It's about LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. If you want a hit... a hit, by definition, "hits" the most people possible.. stupid, or not stupid. Try it, I dare you, because the "hit" makers are the ones with gold and the studios.

Dasheesh wrote:
Robmobius wrote:No one owes anyone anything... Life is tough better get a helmet. :roll:
I just wanted to say... ^^^ this is the correct answer.
Tough guys, yeah. :party:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Enterprise Allowance Scheme as a musician ... dole plus £10.
And of course there was the other scheme - ET; 'Employment Training', or 'Extra Tenner' as it was more commonly known. :hihi:

Zombie Queen wrote:
4damind wrote:To become a successful artist you must also learn to run a business, this means in most cases that you must learn how to sell a product and most important: you must have a great product.
This sounds very reasonable, but the fact of life, as far as I can see, is that product that actually sells is far from great. Check out on a radio.
A great product can also mean "fits well the genre" or it's so different that many people like it because.. it's different.
Most singers cannot really sing.. there are dozens of examples of very successful groups where the lead singer cannot sing very well.. but "perfection" is not so important to be successful. Maybe it's better to say "you must be different".

Anyway, most music is not good enough (=interesting enough) or sometimes the production quality is really bad.

Ok, there are some hints for a successful song ;) Many successful songs sharing the same or similar chord progressions. I remember some well known 80s producers like Stock/Aitken/Waterman (Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley, Bananarama, Dead Or Alife,... the list of known acts is very long). Yes, most of this songs sounding very similar but this stuff was commercially very successful.

When I was a lad, we used to gather around the fireplace with our hardware T-Pain Microphones and sing the olde classics like ''friday'' (by Rebecca Black). They were hard times but good times.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Outside of those extremely rare discoveries like a Bieber on YT, most bands still are found the old-fashioned way. They do tons of live shows, build up a following with DIY releases and then outwork everyone. All so that when they "hit it" they can be borderline broke for the rest of their musical lives.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

Try taking away the infrastructure that you depend on for a day and come back and tell us that you didn't get a damn thing from the government.

Scotty wrote:Try taking away the infrastructure that you depend on for a day and come back and tell us that you didn't get a damn thing from the government.
That would have been a lot cleverer if you hadnt selectively excised the part of his post where he refuted that statement himself.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”