vurt modular update alpha two

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote:
vurt wrote:yeah the mantis was kind of what i was thinking for starters, just wasn't an option on modular grid :)

probably will have to add at least a happy ending though :lol:
space seems a bigger issue than price :lol:
I just picked up a Mantis case myself. One warning though- the far left and right spaces on the bottom row are kind of shallow, because the legs fold up into the case there. Plan accordingly with modules that aren’t as deep in those spots.
that's worth noting, will have to work out whats shallow enough now too :o

whyterabbyt wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:A To integrate pedals, you may need some attenuators, to get signal out and some amplifiers to get it back in, or some dedicated modules, like A-119.
I have a couple of these
http://www.doepfer.de/a138d.htm
yup, couple of them could be very useful :D

the ottobit in the mix could be mucho fun!

Zombie Queen wrote:Ah, so more a drone / drum box than a malady player?
similar to this, but more layers :)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=501901

Dreadbox make a case that has a few basics built in. Not very expensive either, considering the extra functionality:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dreadbox_case_168.htm

I'd agree to cutting back on oscs and filters. Add mixers, attenuators (the Dreadbox would fix that) and VCAs.

the mantis offers me a little more space though.

the osc in the pic so far are just place holders, ill decide on as an example moog style and wavetable and whatever, it wont be multiples of the same modules. same with filters, some different character filters will give me a broader range of sounds long term.

vcas! :oops: i knew id forget something. lucky its alpha stages or that could be a showstopper :lol:

Why are you building a telephone exchange?

donkey tugger wrote:Why are you building a telephone exchange?
i believe landlines are gonna make a comeback, like vinyl did!
ill make a killing!!!

Looks like a nifty sound palette but all those 2hp modules next to each other would drive me crazy. Maybe just spread them throughout the case. Also, make sure the Mantis' PSU will provide adequate power (and power headers) for all of that stuff. The downside of using a lot of small modules is you need more power headers, than you would with fewer bigger modules.
whyterabbyt wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:A To integrate pedals, you may need some attenuators, to get signal out and some amplifiers to get it back in, or some dedicated modules, like A-119.
I have a couple of these
http://www.doepfer.de/a138d.htm
Yeah, I like the A-138d over the A-119. I've had both. The Malekko Snd/Rtn is also nice. I recently built a bunch of CGS pedal adapters into a stand alone box, so I wouldn't have to use rack space for that kind of thing.

yeah, ill reduce the actual number of modules, by replacing multiples in this iteration, with things like the cloud generator.

I think that Circadian Rhythms is better suited for trigger signals than gates. It can do gates, but I find the experience a tad less rewarding/intuitive. Therefore, I'd drop ADSR envelopes in favour of function generators (Rampage, Quadra, Maths/Function, PEG), simply because they work great with just triggers. Alternatively, maybe plan for a few T->G (trigger to gate) from Erica, which come in neat 3hp.

I've btw. gone against my dogma of "no memory, no computers" and replaced CR with Varigate 8+, because it's just plain addictive and does everything I need, like different clock division and length per track. It doesn't do more than 16 steps per track and it lacks the live programming feel though which CR certainly has (but I'll never be as fast & proficient as Colin Benders, hehehe).

Urs wrote:I've btw. gone against my dogma of "no memory, no computers" and replaced CR with Varigate 8+...
Heh. I just bought a Monome Teletype to replace most of my sequencing/gate manipulation stuff. I made fun of the thing when I first saw it -- an old-school terminal with a USB keyboard input that you program with something that looks superficially like assembly language -- but it will happily divide and multiply clocks, do Euclidean sequencing, tracker-style sequencing, whatever algorithms you throw at it, plus quantization and so on.

I already had an E370, and I'm planning to get an ER-301 which is pretty much the ultimate nerd module. So I'll have two computers in my rack with a price higher than my desktop, and another that's pretty close. :hihi:

Urs wrote:I think that Circadian Rhythms is better suited for trigger signals than gates. It can do gates, but I find the experience a tad less rewarding/intuitive. Therefore, I'd drop ADSR envelopes in favour of function generators (Rampage, Quadra, Maths/Function, PEG), simply because they work great with just triggers. Alternatively, maybe plan for a few T->G (trigger to gate) from Erica, which come in neat 3hp.

I've btw. gone against my dogma of "no memory, no computers" and replaced CR with Varigate 8+, because it's just plain addictive and does everything I need, like different clock division and length per track. It doesn't do more than 16 steps per track and it lacks the live programming feel though which CR certainly has (but I'll never be as fast & proficient as Colin Benders, hehehe).

ooh that variegate sounds more useful long term, and i have no problems with going digital for any part of the system.
my not wanting midi is more a limitation, i prefer shorter sequences that can be staggered to create longer sequences through variation when it comes to what im after here.
with a midi in module it would be too easy to get lazy and play full length files. i have the computer for that.
plus i get to just switch on and not need the computer running, then im less likely to be distracted here and at youtube :hihi:

so far, from the advice received here (for which i thank you all 8) ) im thinking that for starters, maximum control over minimum voices, then once that's set up adding more voices to the mix.
i think a bare minimum of 3 oscillators(to be finalised) to start with, with a selection of filters. with the addition of the tg one sample module, that should give me an interesting enough sound pallet for starters.

looking at the varigate, the voltage block came up too in the search.
im going to have to do some reading on these two, as the cv sequencing sounds pretty cool too. but its a lot cheaper than the varigate, which doesn't on the surface seem logical :lol:

updated: getting closer to being happy with the initial set up here, once i go through and work out which modules are still easy enough to get and find replacements, then i can work on finding best prices, while finding as many vids about each module as i can :)

theres some bits here that i know are happening what ever! so in the next week or so ill be ordering the mantis case and the first few modules, just enough to get a little something going...

oh, and cables, don't want to forget that :o

anyway
alpha two

I cant work out what's changed versus the first one?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Modular Synthesis”