help me decide on new synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok so i normally wouldnt ask this kind of question...but here i am.

ive been itching for a new hardware synth. and i cant really make up my mind. now ive had my eye on a few of them....and i know they arent all that comparable but it is what it is, heres what im thinking about...in order of what i thought about first...not want more.

moog mother 32
matrixbrute
dredbox erebus
behringer neutron

so....what i really really want is the matrixbrute....but im not sure i want to plunk down that kinda cash, and also its friggin ginormous and i dont know that i have anywhere to put it.

the other 3 are all kind of playing in the same area...i initially fell in love with the video demos of the mother 32....and then the erebus sounds so soo sweet to me...thick and dripping with goodness....but, then here comes the neutron, and while i cant say the sound is quite as delicious as the dreadbox...it sounds pretty nice and is half the price. money isnt a main factor...but it is a factor. i can afford any of them...but i do need to justify the price (to myself only, i dont really need to).

i dont really have anything like these already, my hardware consists of:

virus indigo
red sound darkstar
korg electribe ea-1
yamaha dx200

suggestions? ideas?
ImageImageImage

what about getting two Mother32's and a DFAM, and put them in one of those tiered 3 piece racks that moog also sell. or two DFAMs and a Mother 32 .... or whatever variant suits.

seems odd to put matrixbrute in the shortlist, and not consider a 3 piece setup like that.

since they're all semi/modular anyway, even look into creating a eurorack setup with a 2k value equivalent to the matrixbrute.

sorry, but the inclusion of matrixbrute on your shortlist has set the financial bar and i consider that price range a goal to aim for :)

Moog Mother & DFAM would be very nice. I was bidding on an Erubus not long ago. Didn't win it tho' ... if money's no problem get Mother, Erubus and DFAM.
I'm sure you'll be happy, whatever you end up with.

:hihi:

lol...I never said money was no problem, in fact I specifically said it was a factor. i don't have 2k+ just burning a hole in my pocket.

I have no interest in a dfam, none at all. the matrixbrute is a fantasy synth, I could buy one... but I can not justify that amount of cash. let's forget I even mentioned it.

as of right now I can't even justify spending $600 on the erebus or mother 32 when the neutron is half that...

I'm asking if theres something im missing that would make up the price difference. I'm not a hardware aficionado and as of right now, don't feel I have enough knowledge to be able to tell if the price difference is worth it or not.

ok.... let's make this simpler.

neutron vs erebus.....GO!
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:lol...I never said money was no problem, in fact I specifically said it was a factor. i don't have 2k+ just burning a hole in my pocket.
chaosWyrM wrote: money isnt a main factor...but it is a factor. i can afford any of them...but i do need to justify the price (to myself only, i dont really need to).
lol ... what you actually said was vague, at best, but considering the fact you even put the matrixbrute in your shortlist in the first place it didn't really indicate that spending 2k was gonna be a problem, if it was worth it.
chaosWyrM wrote: the matrixbrute is a fantasy synth, I could buy one... but I can not justify that amount of cash.
good idea including it tthe shortlist then :lol:
chaosWyrM wrote: as of right now I can't even justify spending $600
:dog:

seriously, figure out what your actual budget is.

How about a Neutron and a 0-Coast?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Daags wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:lol...I never said money was no problem, in fact I specifically said it was a factor. i don't have 2k+ just burning a hole in my pocket.
chaosWyrM wrote: money isnt a main factor...but it is a factor. i can afford any of them...but i do need to justify the price (to myself only, i dont really need to).
lol ... what you actually said was vague, at best, but considering the fact you even put the matrixbrute in your shortlist in the first place it didn't really indicate that spending 2k was gonna be a problem, if it was worth it.
chaosWyrM wrote: the matrixbrute is a fantasy synth, I could buy one... but I can not justify that amount of cash.
good idea including it tthe shortlist then :lol:
chaosWyrM wrote: as of right now I can't even justify spending $600
:dog:

seriously, figure out what your actual budget is.
seriously...theres no need to cop an attitude about it ffs. and thanks for all the helpful input and cherry picking. i dont have a budget...but im not plunking down a wad of cash simply to do it. so far ive got 4 responses and not a single one talks about the pros and cons of the synths i listed in comparison to each other.

ya know what? if it makes you feel better...lets just say the budget is $600.

and again...ive already narrowed it down to 2....can anyone here break down the differences between the neutron and the erebus and maybe explain why the erebus is 2x the $$?

::edit::

but your pestering me did make me narrow it down to those 2...so i guess i have to thank you for that. :tu:
Last edited by chaosWyrM on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

deastman wrote:How about a Neutron and a 0-Coast?
i was looking at the 0-coast, but it didnt really speak to me that much...and im not getting 2 synths right now...just one.
ImageImageImage

I would get the Matrixbrute, it is what you really want and it is quite deep and lot of fun. And when it goes out of production it will become a sought after classic.

And hurry because it seems Arturia is going to increase the price in a very short time, there is some info on their page https://www.arturia.com/products/matrixbrute/overview
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I would get the Matrixbrute, it is what you really want and it is quite deep and lot of fun. And when it goes out of production it will become a sought after classic.

And hurry because it seems Arturia is going to increase the price in a very short time, there is some info on their page https://www.arturia.com/products/matrixbrute/overview
you are an evil person. :evil:

im never buying a new one anyway...i know i referenced the 2k+ price tag, but you can get a near mint open box for around 1500. that still doesnt change how huge it is or gives me anywhere to put the thing if i had one.

i would really love one...but i just dont think i can.
ImageImageImage

I can't believe this is not a wag tunes thread! :o

I've been thinking pretty seriously about getting an 0-Coast myself, it seems a little unconventional
which puts it right up my alley. Personally, not a big fan of Arturia.

jacqueslacouth wrote:I can't believe this is not a wag tunes thread! :o

yeah yeah. im well aware that this isnt the most thought out question....if i was able to be a bit more logical about it, i wouldnt be asking for the help.

and people wonder why new members get scared off.
ImageImageImage

pekbro wrote:I've been thinking pretty seriously about getting an 0-Coast myself, it seems a little unconventional
which puts it right up my alley. Personally, not a big fan of Arturia.
taking another look at the 0-coast. i want to like it more than i do, i like the concept, but the actual sounds in the demos im watching isnt doing it for me.

if i had all the money and room id get one, but for now i think its still a pass.

maybe i can convince my buddy to pick one up...this is more up his alley anyways...then ill at least get to play with it once in a while.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:but i just dont think i can.

do what thou will, shall be the whole of the law.
love is the law.
love under will.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”