Sound Design App

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there
Is there such a thing as dedicated host for sound design. Im thinking something like a Eurorack GUI made up of a grid where you insert plugins and effects to make a "rack" and at the end of the rack is a real-time record button that records everything you are doing.
I know this can be done in every DAW with a bit of setup but its nice to break out of the usual same old same old and have a fresh layout for sound design.

Ableton Live does exactly this. It has instrument and effects 'racks'.

Max/MSP hands down wins.
Bitwig would be closer to that than Live, though you can run Max within Live...
Reaktor could also be in that party, though the standalone does not load plug-ins...
Bidule could also be considered...

MuLab has exactly what you described: a 'Eurorack' modular GUI made of a grid where you connect plugins and effects to make a rack:
http://www.mutools.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcI5Q0GnXSA
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I don't think the OP is looking for a modular synth type solution.

Yeah no I'm not looking for a modular synthesis type setup, I'm after a system where I can load say for example Sylenth1 and several effects plugins to create a "rack" that can be recorded in real time as I tweak and adjust parameters

DJTraffik wrote:Yeah no I'm not looking for a modular synthesis type setup, I'm after a system where I can load say for example Sylenth1 and several effects plugins to create a "rack" that can be recorded in real time as I tweak and adjust parameters
And, given that that's what a DAW basically is and does, what is it that you expect to be different from a DAW?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Way back in the mists of time, this was basically what Ableton Live was created to do - other than the recording bit. However, it's very easy to send audio to a channel armed for recording.

The advantage of Live is that you have chains and racks within racks for quite complex setups as long as you don't want audio feedback.

... or pretty much any DAW :ud:

FL Studio also has Patcher which is very good and easy to understand.

whyterabbyt wrote:
DJTraffik wrote:Yeah no I'm not looking for a modular synthesis type setup, I'm after a system where I can load say for example Sylenth1 and several effects plugins to create a "rack" that can be recorded in real time as I tweak and adjust parameters
And, given that that's what a DAW basically is and does, what is it that you expect to be different from a DAW?
Sometimes its just nice to get out of the DAW and use something different. I came from hardware originally and sometimes just glaring at the same screen over and over kills creativity.
What Im after, becuase by some of the responses here it seems that people havent quote got my original post, is a standalone program that allows me to load in a VST like say for example Sylenth and then add some effects, in a rack setup similar to a Eurorack case. No arrangement window, maybe a simple analoguu style sequencer and the synth and the effects. At the end of the chain there would be a "record what you hear" button and then I can just sit there and tweak away recording everything so I can then go in and chop up the wav to make samples.

It was just a thought.... just wondering if such a thing exisists. I know I can use a DAW to do this, I already said that in my original post.

DJTraffik wrote:Sometimes its just nice to get out of the DAW and use something different. I came from hardware originally and sometimes just glaring at the same screen over and over kills creativity.
What Im after, becuase by some of the responses here it seems that people havent quote got my original post, is a standalone program that allows me to load in a VST like say for example Sylenth and then add some effects, in a rack setup similar to a Eurorack case. No arrangement window, maybe a simple analoguu style sequencer and the synth and the effects. At the end of the chain there would be a "record what you hear" button and then I can just sit there and tweak away recording everything so I can then go in and chop up the wav to make samples.
Well, the only tools like that that aren't classic linear-timeline DAWs are basically the modular DAWs and you've already ruled them out for some reason. Which is weird, because you say 'similar to Eurorack' which is pretty much the definition of modular. (And 'DAW' is pretty much a synonym for 'plugin host' in this context.)
The only real difference between a modular DAW and a 'rack' is not being constrained on the routing. Slot-based racklike solutions, ie modulars with fixed routing (eg Chainer), never really lasted, and actually were less like Eurorack than the modular hosts are.

Bidule pretty much does everything you mentioned, except maybe sample editing and you could probably use Edison to make up for that if you wanted. But I guess there's not much point in suggesting it, because Bidule is modular.

There's absolutely nothing that gives you all the stuff you're asking for (routing, sequencing, recording, audio editing), ie DAW functionality, without being a DAW of some description in the first place. The stuff you're asking for kinda defines what DAWs do. And there's nothing that's 'similar to Eurorack' but not modular.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

^^^ Once again, whyterabbyt presents nothing but a bunch of logical, rational, reality-based facts. It reminds me of a modular DAW I know that can be configured as three small windows-- a plugin browser, a rack, and a recorder-- with the rest of the screen available for plugins.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”