Your thoughts on the waves CLA compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Waves CLA compressors are currently on sale with a great deal of 79 dollars.

I wonder what's your take on relevance of these specific compressors, considering 1) I already have several compressors and 2) my main focus is electronic music.

I have the Glue compressor in Ableton (which is pretty nice) and I also own the Waves Gold bundle which features several compressors like the C1, MV2, Renaissance compressor, H comp and V-comp.
https://www.waves.com/bundles/gold

I have not yet full explored what the difference is between these different compressors. Compression seems to be a concept that is pretty difficult to grasp.

So what would these CLA compressors add for electronic music.
I also heard that, as far as the Waves compressors go, the API 2500 is more suggested for electronic music than the CLA's?

Also, for controlling loudness, it seems to me that compressors are not the only mechanism that is in play here. Transient shapers, saturators, even EQ can also change the perceived loudness or punch of a track.

For the price they're okay (and better than nothing). They're not the most accurate models, but they're "in the ballpark".

So for the price, yes. Otherwise e.g. Klanghelm MJUC for 1176 and Vari-Mu styles and then find a better LA-2A clone.
There was a shootout with graphs somewhere IIRC.

I'd go with the VC 2A from NI. I'd actually rather buy the NI Vintage Compressors bundle, rather than the CLA bundle.

I especially like what the CLA-3A can do on a drum buss.

You can demo them and then make up your mind.

Stick with the Renaissance. They're good workhorse compressors, even for electronic music, and gives low overhead. I have the Mercury bundle, but keep coming back to Renaissance, most probably due to familiarity, but they get the job done without any fuss. Keep your $79.00 and save up for the Black Rooster version instead.

Download the free Tdr feedback compressor but master it u do be surprised how good this compressor its. This is not gimmicky shit the attack time its very much like any hw even tough this compressor doesn't emulate anything but its made better then 95 percent of the emulations.Tdr feedback its a bit better then Kotelnikov..1176 it's rock n roll shit for electronic music u need snap vca style and tube but algo tubes are fake,the vca ones however are pretty spot on.
The Waves Dpr dss comp its amazing for electronic music its clean but if pushed it can get dirty as f**k. Very versatile.I used the real one

Thanks, I like the TDR feedback compressor. :tu:

I guess you are referring to the bss dpr-402?

Any thoughts on Sknote Disto?
You can drive hard, very versatile and seems to be good at glueing stuff as well. Has also distortion and tape.
No demo though; I saw this in videos.
A demo gives you a much better picture than some videos.
Last edited by Stefken on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stefken wrote:
I have... <snip>

I have not yet full explored what the difference is between these different compressors. Compression seems to be a concept that is pretty difficult to grasp.

So what would these CLA compressors add for electronic music.
I also heard that, as far as the Waves compressors go, the API 2500 is more suggested for electronic music than the CLA's?

Also, for controlling loudness, it seems to me that compressors are not the only mechanism that is in play here. Transient shapers, saturators, even EQ can also change the perceived loudness or punch of a track.
How about a plan?

1. Concentrate hard on the concept of compression and don't give up, until you have fully understood what it is and what it does. Yes, the theoretical part. Read up, there's everything you need to know, for free.

2. Explore the compressors you already have, then learn them very well - until you're satisfied with the results you're getting out of them. At least the Glue and H-Comp are top shelf stuff, you could do with these two easily.

You still don't know where to start? Here's a pro tip: compressors don't work based on the style of music you are making, and don't care whether you are using acoustic or electronic instruments. And saying 'electronic music' tells US nothing.

3. Yes, there are other... 'mechanisms', you forgot to mention expanders and limiters. Final tip: in case compressors prove too hard for you, just find a limiter and use that. How? Crank it until it sounds good.

mod.killer wrote:
How about a plan?

1. Concentrate hard on the concept of compression and don't give up, until you have fully understood what it is and what it does. Yes, the theoretical part. Read up, there's everything you need to know, for free.

2. Explore the compressors you already have, then learn them very well - until you're satisfied with the results you're getting out of them. At least the Glue and H-Comp are top shelf stuff, you could do with these two easily.
Sounds like a plan, which I intend to do.
(Still, at the same time, I can also explore other plugins as well).
mod.killer wrote: You still don't know where to start? Here's a pro tip: compressors don't work based on the style of music you are making, and don't care whether you are using acoustic or electronic instruments. And saying 'electronic music' tells US nothing.
I don't concur. A drummachine by its very nature is very consistent, and is very different from a live drummer. A pure tone from an oscillator is quite different than a bass guitar. And the concept between e.g. house and rock is also very different. Beat and bass is very important in house; often there are no vocals...

Electronic music? : my question relates mainly towards music like Orbital, Leftfield, Trentemoller, Deadmau5 but also plain house or trance.
In second order ambient and film music.
mod.killer wrote:Yes, there are other... 'mechanisms', you forgot to mention expanders and limiters.
My implicit question was that currently I find it more transparent to use transient shapers and saturators on a programmed drum sequence than a compressor. As the amplitude of a programmed sequence is by it's very nature very controllable and consistent. In fact, you have to put effort into it, NOT to make it that consistent.
So I find it easier to use a transient shaper for the timing and saturators for the flavor.
Actually, the new drum bus from Ableton seems to be following the same reasoning as it provides different processes/controls for transients, crunch and drive, ... while in a compressor these processes seem intertwined.

Still a lot to learn about compressors....

Sidenote: this is just a hobby of mine. My job pays the bills.

Have you tried your DAW's stock compressors?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I like the CLA compressors. I've used equivalents, but I find myself coming back to these. Perhaps the modelling is simpler making them more responsive, I have no idea...but they do what I need them to. Plugin Discounts are currently doing the bundle for $53 with YNY23 voucher code.

Waves H comp is great.Works for me on bass

Forgive everyone, but i see this all the time... not the most accurate emulation, or something to that effect.

I’m not going to debate what’s the most realistic or not. Undoubtedly, this would be subject to s matter of opinion as well. I just want to point out to some and remind others that even these legacy devices weren’t even close “emulations” of themselves. One physical hardware LA-2A does not sound another. So it’s a misnomer to say something isn’t an accurate emulation when you’re more than likely comparing the plugin to the wrong device. More than likely the said plugin is a much more accurate representation when compared to the model a developer was emulating.

What also happens with these old devices is they get punished in all sorts of different ways, components wear unevenly, other parts get replaced. Nothing is uniform. Add to that the huge variation in manufacturing tolerances of the components that went to build those devices in the first place.

I’ve got to say all the devs these days are working hard and pretty much getting it right. The competition is tough, so of course they have incentive to get as close as to the device they are studying as possible. It makes no sense not to.

Return to “Effects”