Sound Design App

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Minihost Modular Comes to mind: https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... odular.htm

Shame that IL never further developed that thing.

DJTraffik wrote:No arrangement window, maybe a simple analoguu style sequencer and the synth and the effects. At the end of the chain there would be a "record what you hear" button and then I can just sit there and tweak away recording everything so I can then go in and chop up the wav to make samples.
This describes exactly one of my central workflows when doing creative sound design in Ableton Live. I stay out of the arrangement view, work in the non-linear session view, and build signal chains / racks / routings that I then tweak, recording what I hear. (I have one channel dedicated for "resample" input, which is Live's way of saying "record what you hear", recording the main output; when ever I do something worth recording, I press a "record what you hear" button, i.e. the record button in an empty session clip slot :D )

It's a powerful technique for creating raw material for sound design. When you are done recording, you can proceed editing the wavs further, maybe load bits of them into samplers and do another "record what you hear" pass while manipulating those and routing them through new effect constructs, and so on.

Thanks for the replies guys, it seems that Ableton is my best bet. I have the full version of 8 that I've never really used so I'm going to install it and give it a go. :)

:tu:
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

NI Kore was/is my preferred tool for sound design, that's what it was made for (amongst other things)

Strange no one mentioned Reason yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDd2lKMyGX8

DJTraffik wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
DJTraffik wrote:Yeah no I'm not looking for a modular synthesis type setup, I'm after a system where I can load say for example Sylenth1 and several effects plugins to create a "rack" that can be recorded in real time as I tweak and adjust parameters
And, given that that's what a DAW basically is and does, what is it that you expect to be different from a DAW?
Sometimes its just nice to get out of the DAW and use something different. I came from hardware originally and sometimes just glaring at the same screen over and over kills creativity.
What Im after, becuase by some of the responses here it seems that people havent quote got my original post, is a standalone program that allows me to load in a VST like say for example Sylenth and then add some effects, in a rack setup similar to a Eurorack case. No arrangement window, maybe a simple analoguu style sequencer and the synth and the effects. At the end of the chain there would be a "record what you hear" button and then I can just sit there and tweak away recording everything so I can then go in and chop up the wav to make samples.

It was just a thought.... just wondering if such a thing exisists. I know I can use a DAW to do this, I already said that in my original post.
So did looking at a multitrack tape recorder back in the day
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

DJTraffik wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, it seems that Ableton is my best bet. I have the full version of 8 that I've never really used so I'm going to install it and give it a go. :)
Ohhh, you are sorted with that one :tu: ... As long as you feel subjectively comfortable with the workflow (a prerequisite with any tool), Live 8 is a true monster when it comes to this sort of sound design work! I used it for nine years exactly for these sorts of tasks, now went with Live 10 about a month ago :D

Coincidence: I happened to describe my approach in Live a bit over here just a moment ago: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=501241#p7040463

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”