Dmitry Sches THORN: tips/resources/wisdom please post here... using custom WAVs or importing frames

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I personally haven't started using the import function yet, I'm hoping some experienced users might chime in with some creative or workflow tips for Thorn. I'll try to collect them all and add to this OP.
Thanks heaps!

Frankly, I tried to export wav files a few times, but it never worked properly. It is because you need to use specially "tailored" for that purpose wav files. Hope this change in the future. So I'm just using to the maximum what is already included.

First things first, Thorn has undo/redo parameters next to the preset scanner, top right. After I found this I found myself using it dozens of times a day.

The smoothing parameter in the harmonic filter usually makes things sound better when modulating the parameter.

Sometimes it is better to use the harmonic filter as an subtraction eq for certain sounds.

Filter volume and drive amount are interconnected. Increasing the volume can increase distortion. Reducing the filter volume but raising the global volume can minimize the distortion, when near same audio levels. If one is working on plucks or keys, try, tuning the volume on filters down to around 10 percent and using the global, when minimal distortion is desired.

Have more, will try to add some soon. Just from the top of my head.

P.s. also, the harmonic filter and the oscillators themselves are interconnected deeply and they both do there summing/math thing together before the data is turned into audio. The oscillators don't make audio, then the harmonic filter cuts into it, the harmonic filter subtracts or adds to the oscillator single itself to then produce a signal.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I've you're interested in some wavetable fiddling, please check out the entries for OneSynthChallenge #105 viewtopic.php?p=6910691#p6910691
I have actually created two tracks with Thorn as the only synth which used a special technique to create wavetables out of short samples like for the "words" you can hear in the tracks. I think I have described the process somewhere in the OSC thread...hope you're able to find it. if not, I can shortly describe it here. So if you listen to the following tracks and hear Thorn say "This is Thorn" then this is actually Wavetables not Samples...Have fun.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/kraf ... -drei-vier
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/ephemeral-thorn

Return to “Instruments”