SM57 signal weak with Tascam US 2x2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I just got a Tascam US 2x2, and have an SM57. I am using this for recording voice.

I have to turn the Mic Gain all the way up to even get a low-ish signal from the SM57 when recording. On my previous EMU1616m, this was not an issue at all, with the same mic.

I realise this mic is not ideal for voice work, but the signal strength was not an issue with my previous audio interface.

So, does anyone know what the issue is here, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

The preamps on the emu may have had more clean gain avail than the tascam.

I have a similar shure mic, the 545sd. I got an inline amplifier similar to a cloudlifter (a cathedral pipes Durham, which may no longer be avail.) They are helpful with ribbon and dynamic mics.

SM57 if not damaged I don't think is a particularly low output mic, but it typically gets stuck in front of loud sounds, close miked full throat singing, close snare drum, point-blank guitar amp.

Maybe well modulated civil elegant speech, delivered from greater than point blank distance would have the effect of being relatively low output, merely because the input is quieter than typical usage for the mic?

Do you have handy one of the inexpensive "balanced XLR to unbalanced quarter inch" inline transformers, or maybe could borrow one from a friend? Some of the inline transformers might (or might not) boost the signal level at least somewhat. Low level low impedance input getting transformer-boosted to a higher level higher impedance output.

Some of the inline transformers I've used had decent fidelity and others didn't have very good tone. So even if it would passively boost the level, the tone could possibly be lacking. I wouldn't buy an untested transformer in mere hope that it would help. Would try to borrow one or test at a store before purchase to avoid spending money on something possibly useless.

I just googled sm57 and Tascam US 2x2, and on the first page of results are two very contradictory statements regarding the preamps:

- An article review claiming "Recording vocals with a Shure SM57 mic produced some studio-quality results with the US-2×2’s 57dB of gain ensuring plenty of level on our tracks".

- An Amazon user review claiming "As some have mentioned, the input levels are pretty low for the mic. You have to crank the gain all the way up for my SM57 to pick up anything through the built-in monitor. Of course you could increases the levels via software and return that to get acceptable monitor levels, but then you have a tiny bit of latency".

I tend to believe the second user way more than the first, so at the very least there's a quality-control issue with the units. At worst, the first guy is lying or incompetent, and all of the US 2x2's preamps have the low-gain problem.

You'll need a pre-amp (or mixing desk) for the SM57 or a get a condensor microphone (phantom powered) if your interface has it.

Until you get a proper studio type mic, i'd also say go for this impedance matching adapter;
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-A85F-Trans ... 0TAPCM4501

There is a vast difference in gain between those two audio interfaces, but this adapter will do you right. Look at the reviews on this page bottom. They use SM57 into hi-z inputs and get good results.
The fact that it outputs to an unbalanced 1/4in will make no difference.

BTW, I read someone say that the win. Vista driver works in win7...if that was your problem.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Both of my SM57s are significantly quieter than the array of condensers I have, but not to the point where I need to peg the gain on the inputs to make them work.

flugel45 wrote:I just googled sm57 and Tascam US 2x2, and on the first page of results are two very contradictory statements regarding the preamps:

- An article review claiming "Recording vocals with a Shure SM57 mic produced some studio-quality results with the US-2×2’s 57dB of gain ensuring plenty of level on our tracks".

- An Amazon user review claiming "As some have mentioned, the input levels are pretty low for the mic. You have to crank the gain all the way up for my SM57 to pick up anything through the built-in monitor. Of course you could increases the levels via software and return that to get acceptable monitor levels, but then you have a tiny bit of latency".

I tend to believe the second user way more than the first, so at the very least there's a quality-control issue with the units. At worst, the first guy is lying or incompetent, and all of the US 2x2's preamps have the low-gain problem.
That is not necessarily a contradiction. Am not denying that possibly this Tascam interface should have higher gain.

SM-57 is a workhorse rugged mic, if not "specifically designed" for miking loud sources, at least that is how the mic is most-often used. It can handle rather loud inputs without obnoxious overload, and delivers a good hot usable output in those situations.

If the first reviewer was singing loud right into the mic, similar to how he would use it on-stage, then it wouldn't be surprising if he was getting decent record levels. It is similar to the reason that live-performance mixers don't usually NEED real high preamp gain. If all the mics feeding the mixer are stuffed right up close to amps, drums, or singers screaming right into the mic, you don't need a lot of preamp gain.

If selling a live-usage mic, if you made the mic too-high output, it might have problems overloading some mixers, making the mic less "universally practical" for live use.

Many recording tasks use quieter sources or mic the source from greater distance, requiring more gain.

It is possible that the interface gain could be increased by changing the value or one or two resistors in the preamp circuit, depending on how the circuit is made. Raising the gain would also raise the preamp self-noise. If the device uses surface-mount components, it might be a "messy" modification unless one is skilled with a soldering iron, even if in principle it would be a simple mod.

2nd amazon reviewer here. Turns out I just had a bad XLR cable. The monitor on the tascam is fine when the cable isn't wonky. LUL

One thing come to mind - unbalanced cable will often loose 6 dB level to some interfaces.
Some sense it and compensate, other don't.

XLR cable can be balanced or not, as far as I know.
And if you use a 1/4" connector you will most probably be unbalanced - there are mic cables with 1/4" at end.

Shure specs says -56 dBV sensitivity, should be ok with 57 dB gain input.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”