Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
alonl6
KVRer

8 posts since 16 Apr, 2018

Postby alonl6; Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 am Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

Hello. I'm looking for a mid range (200-300$) complete orchestra vst.
I have halion orchestra, and it's nice but I want something more robust.
Any suggestions?
Miroslav 2 looks nice.. I like the fact that the sound is dry, because I like to add my own reverb.. and to have more control on the sound.
I'm looking for more of an old sound with more saturation and distortion like the old 40's and 50's movies.. Like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZu621cODRw.
not a big fan of the "epic" generic big sound everyone use these days.. But i'm open to other opinions.
DSmolken
KVRian

1301 posts since 20 Sep, 2013, from Poland

Postby DSmolken; Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

Old movie sound, dry... well, the Bernard Herrmann toolkit from Spitfire would be the closest, but you'd have to hope to get it at 50% off to fit in your budget.

There aren't many complete orchestras in your range, in general, so it might be a matter of waiting for a big sale on something you like, going for EastWest Composer Cloud, or the more radical option to get Virtual Playing Orchestra and any other freebies you can, then spend the money on a string library. If I had to settle, I'd settle for decent strings and semi-adequate everything else, but that's me.

Miroslav 2 sounds nice, so it is also an option, but the engine is unusual - in some ways it works more like a 90s hardware rompler (just with a much bigger sample pool) than like a modern virtual orchestra. GPO5 is another low-cost option, but it doesn't really have enough samples to sound all that realistic on many of the instruments - it's got a nice harp, decent pianos, and a lot of options, but if it's going to be your only orchestra, it's kind of limiting. VSL SE might be a decent option, too. Audio Imperia Jaeger is $600, so twice your budget...
wagtunes
KVRAF

12309 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

In that range, nothing decent unless you wait for a sale.

That is the reality that you're looking at.
alonl6
KVRer

8 posts since 16 Apr, 2018

Postby alonl6; Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

wagtunes wrote:In that range, nothing decent unless you wait for a sale.

Well.. what library or plugin is decent in your opinion?
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

alonl6 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:In that range, nothing decent unless you wait for a sale.

Well.. what library or plugin is decent in your opinion?

Don't go by me. I grew up listening to symphony orchestras. Until recently, nothing was what I'd call "decent." The stuff I call decent (nothing replaces the real thing) will run you thousands. Just strings alone without all the other orchestral instruments, to get something decent, is going to run you between $300 and $500.

But if you really want to know, here's a short list of decent companies. Just check out their various products and their products.

East West
Vienna
8Dio
Chris Hein
Kirk Hunter

Probably your best bet is Kirk Hunter, as far as fitting in your price range. The orchestral library collection is $500. It's the worst of the lot but still in the "decent" scale. If I were really poor and couldn't afford what I had, I'd get Kirk Hunter.

Wait for a sale and you might get it in your price range. You will not, however, get Vienna or even East West quality.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2295 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

Yes, tend to agree that that price for a significant step up for a whole orchestra is ambitious, but there might be one strong contender - East West's Hollywood Gold, and just wait for the next 50% off sale. Shouldn't be too long - hang tight and you might well pick it up for $250. The winds aren't so great (though I believe may have improved in recent times), but the rest is pretty damn good.

FWIW, not so keen on wag's approved list however - Kirk Hunter is little better than Garritan, and for me Chris Hein is pretty patchy. There are however an awful lot more good developers for orchestral in general, including but not limited to:

CineSamples
ProjectSAM
Spitfire Audio
AudioBro

As for dry(ish) stuff, take a look at LASS for strings, or LASS Lite on a budget. That said, the Hollywood Series from East West is a really strong contender here though, and their Play engine is vastly improved from the horror show of yesteryear. The library will be sometimes a resource hog and have some annoying quirks - why have one patch when 10,000 will do - but with some patience and practice you can get fantastic results out of it.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
chk071
KVRAF

16015 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

alonl6 wrote:Hello. I'm looking for a mid range (200-300$) complete orchestra vst.
I have halion orchestra, and it's nice but I want something more robust.

Just wondering, but, what do you mean with "robust"?

I have Halion Orchestra myself, picked it up for 50 €, when it was on sale, haven't really checked it out yet, but, what i heard sounded quite decent.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

noiseboyuk wrote:Yes, tend to agree that that price for a significant step up for a whole orchestra is ambitious, but there might be one strong contender - East West's Hollywood Gold, and just wait for the next 50% off sale. Shouldn't be too long - hang tight and you might well pick it up for $250. The winds aren't so great (though I believe may have improved in recent times), but the rest is pretty damn good.

FWIW, not so keen on wag's approved list however - Kirk Hunter is little better than Garritan, and for me Chris Hein is pretty patchy. There are however an awful lot more good developers for orchestral in general, including but not limited to:

CineSamples
ProjectSAM
Spitfire Audio
AudioBro

As for dry(ish) stuff, take a look at LASS for strings, or LASS Lite on a budget. That said, the Hollywood Series from East West is a really strong contender here though, and their Play engine is vastly improved from the horror show of yesteryear. The library will be sometimes a resource hog and have some annoying quirks - why have one patch when 10,000 will do - but with some patience and practice you can get fantastic results out of it.

FWIW, had he not limited himself to a "budget" I would have said get Vienna and be done with it. Kirk Hunter and Chris Hein are certainly much better than Garritan, which I have and which is horrible. It was my first orchestral library. Regret the purchase to this day.

As I said, I grew up listening to orchestral music and none of this stuff truly sounds like a real orchestra. Some, closer than others.

On a $300 budget, don't expect much. And thus, my list.

Please don't take it as a "I think this stuff is fantastic" by any stretch of the imagination.

When somebody has a peanut butter budget, I'm not going to recommend he get filet mignon.
functionform
KVRist

183 posts since 13 May, 2017, from Virginia

Postby functionform; Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

The spitfire sounds good to my ears!
Armagibbon
KVRian

655 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

Before you go jump on a big purchase try usin what you got a lil more. Can squeeze some life out with some practice you keen?

Prolly a better idea to invest in some gear to help you with expression cus any library you get is gonna need it anyway. Grab a breath controller and volume pedal. Learn to use that shit. Usb breath controller from tecontrol is damn nice and low price. Dont fall for that overpriced jank they got all over the big stores with wood grain boxes and whatever it aint worth it and no difference but price.

And watch these videos...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktpoOztRvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77mXAWr1QN8

Heres how it is... when you know how to use what you got? Youre gonna know what you gotta get.
DSmolken
KVRian

1301 posts since 20 Sep, 2013, from Poland

Postby DSmolken; Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

functionform wrote:The spitfire sounds good to my ears!

Yeah, as much as I hate being the "get this thing that's twice your max budget" guy, for a 50s movie sound, the BHOT from Spitfire is a better fit than probably anything else on the market.
noiseboyuk
KVRAF

2295 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Postby noiseboyuk; Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

The Bernard Hermann library from Spitfire will sure get you a Bernard Hermann sound out of the box, so if that ever goes on sale and that's pretty much all you need to cover, then that's a good option. It's not a conventional sample library though, so don't expect all the usual instruments, it's combos and partly-orchestrated stuff. Provides a great leg up to sounding authentic without resorting to phrases etc.

wagtunes wrote:FWIW, had he not limited himself to a "budget" I would have said get Vienna and be done with it. Kirk Hunter and Chris Hein are certainly much better than Garritan, which I have and which is horrible. It was my first orchestral library. Regret the purchase to this day.

As I said, I grew up listening to orchestral music and none of this stuff truly sounds like a real orchestra. Some, closer than others.

On a $300 budget, don't expect much. And thus, my list.

Please don't take it as a "I think this stuff is fantastic" by any stretch of the imagination.

When somebody has a peanut butter budget, I'm not going to recommend he get filet mignon.

IMO that's not especially good advice on almost any level (though I do agree re Garritan). VSL can be great, but can be pretty rubbish, the idea that its way above everything else is false. Fantastic for some things though, the solo SE woods are still one of the best bargains out there and of course the more fully fledged editions expand the range of the instruments.

I'm also terribly wary of blanket statements like "none of it sounds like a real orchestra". If you are skilled at writing, have good libraries and are skilled at working with samples and working to their strengths, you can create pieces that sound very much like a real orchestra. It is of course perfectly possible to make the finest libraries sound atrocious without these skills.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold in a 50% sale is a clear winner to meet this particular brief, and if the OP needs some versatility. It's not remotely in the same league as Kirk Hunter (in a good way) and if the OP has plenty of time and skill and learns the tools well, there's no reason why he/she can't get extremely good results with it. Throwaway comments about peanut butter budgets aren't especially useful, imo.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on it, wish the OP the best and happy library hunting...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.afterschoolvideoclub.com/
W10 Pro Creators Edition, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2018 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 9
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD
jancivil
KVRAF

14717 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 pm Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

DSmolken wrote:
functionform wrote:The spitfire sounds good to my ears!

Yeah, as much as I hate being the "get this thing that's twice your max budget" guy, for a 50s movie sound, the BHOT from Spitfire is a better fit than probably anything else on the market.

Given the specificity of the OP, that seems to beckon, however it's not a one-stop shopping kind of library.
Spitfire has the 'brown' room sound in the other products.

Whole orchestra for 2 to 3 hundred bucks is a tall order.

Kirk Hunter strings are not particularly vintage in character. I'm not going to do more right now, but per the older film music tone, no.

VSL is a BIG subject and it's not so wise to be glib or reductive here; all of this consideration is about horses for courses and "VSL" isn't a singular sound for all things. One thing I will say about it, is a certain 'out of the box' wonderful expectation may find disappointment as it takes some work, incl. mixing attention; ie., except for the recent 'Synchron Stage' approach it's been all about the Dry Stage so in this way it's the very opposite of Spitfire or others which feature their big halls. IMO the price for the SE Bundle is a nice price for what you get, but I would recommend other strings (incl theirs, eg., Appassionata) per the OP.
Armagibbon
KVRian

655 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

Gotta wonder why yall gonna keep throwin pricey libraries at a guy this obv green. Cmon yall he needs help not a hole in his wallet.
chk071
KVRAF

16015 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 pm Re: Mid range (200-300$) orchestra vst?

True, that's why i asked what's wrong with Halion Symphonic Orchestra. :P
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments