Maschine goes 64-bit only

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maschine

After messing with TB EQ v4 some more, I went ahead and bought it. Seems cool and it's pretty effective. I'm actually going to have to read the manual, especially for the "AI assisted" stuff, to get the most out of it.

jBridge was successful with the other three I needed it for, so I bought the full version of that. Not sure what the issue was before, but I recall it crashing the host hard.

So overall this cost me about $45 and several hours of tedium, but I did get a couple of cool upgrades out of it I guess. :-|

I'm not familiar with Space360, but you could also look at Panagement and AMBEO as 64-bit alternatives that won't require bridging.
Image Image Image Image

foosnark wrote: - Toneboosters is frankly a goddamned mess. The installers place multiple versions of things in multiple folders. Licenses don't include upgrades (which given the low prices and the significant new features in some of those upgrades, is understandable, but complicates this process).
FYI - The ToneBoosters installer only installs a single copy of each plugin version (VST, VST3, AU; 32 and 64 bit) and does so in the folders outlined in the installation manual and support pages of their site.

Additionally there is a plethora of upgrade options with significant discounts for licencees of other ToneBoosters plugins :-)

Well, I must have had several previous 64-bit versions installed all over the place then. It took some work to straighten out and I thought about just finding all the Toneboosters stuff, nuking it and starting clean (but didn't want to accidentally kill something I have a license for).

Anyway, lesson learned there (though it seems like different lessons for every developer...).

foosnark wrote:After messing with TB EQ v4 some more, I went ahead and bought it. Seems cool and it's pretty effective. I'm actually going to have to read the manual, especially for the "AI assisted" stuff, to get the most out of it.
The TB stuff is amazing value for money IMO. Usually, i'm pretty sceptic about those "Incredible plugins for 30 €", which seem to get a lot of rave, just for the price, but, with the TB stuff, i really can confirm they are exactly that. I own TB-Reverb-4, and TB-Barricade CM, and both are very good, and get a lot of use here.

Oh, about the installation: Get the ZIP file of all plugins (says "Portable" in the Download area of their website), and move the respective DLL's, AU's, whatever, to your plugin folders manually. As clean as it gets then. :)

foosnark wrote: - I still have to redownload 4 different Unfiltered Audio 64-bit installers from Plugin Alliance.
As a heads up, the Plugin Alliance Installation Manager can help speed up this process a lot.

Yeah. Some company's installation thingies are annoying (especially when you have to download everything in order to try one demo or free plugin), but the PA one is solid.

OK, I had a load of individual responses prepared but it all comes back to the same thing, so I'll just say it once. All you dopey Mac users, and it seems all the people defending NI's actions are Mac users, are happy to wax lyrical about all the extra hassle of supporting multiple platforms but all the arguments you make could just as easily be used to stop making Mac versions. How would you feel if NI and everyone else did that instead? Would you be happy? No, of course you wouldn't, so why expect these guys to be any happier? They have a legitimate beef with this and if you can't see that, then you are a self-centred a-hole of the highest order.

The other issue is that, for most of us, there is no compelling reason to go to 64 bit. It adds nothing. Performance isn't any better, it doesn't use fewer resources (quite the opposite, in fact) and 64 bit software seems to take up a lot more drive space into the bargain. And for what? So that my paging file can be a little smaller? Hardly worth it when it means hours and hours of work just to rebuild a song so we can play it live. As foosnark said, the only ones who benefit from this are NI, there is nothing at all in it for their customers.

For some reason I really cannot fathom, some of you want to liken this to the change from Windows XP to Windows 10 but it is NOTHING like that. Every piece of software and every hardware peripheral I had on XP still installs and runs perfectly well on Windows 10. The change cost me nothing. OTOH, the change from Orion 32 bit to Orion 64 bit has cost me 20 or more plugins, many of which I use in dozens of songs we wrote before 64 bit hosts even existed and would really like to use again. We've done it, I honestly couldn't tell you why exactly, but the dismissive attitudes of some of you says a lot about the type of people you are (see above).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I'm a Windows user and I'm all for 64 bit only. People who want to keep living in the past should simply not update anymore and happily keep using their outdated 32 bit software and plugins. Problem solved.

foosnark wrote:MASCHINE Goes 64-Bit Only

Apparently "some users" of 32-bit Maschine 2.7.2 are having trouble (I'm not...) so rather than fixing it they're going to drop 32-bit in all future updates.

The writing's been on the wall for a while I suppose. But this means I finally have to find an alternative for ET-301, if I can't jBridge it -- and last time I tried jBridge it was a spectacular failure. I also have to make sure there's nothing else I care about that's 32-bit only, that I have 64-bit versions of all the good stuff installed, and track down installers, license keys etc. where necessary.

My typical projects don't even hit 1GB of RAM, nevermind 4GB, so there's no technical benefit for me here.

The alternative is switching DAWs -- a bigger hassle which will affect my workflow -- or staying with 2.7.2 forever which seems like a poor choice.
I personally never used a lot of third party effects in Maschine anyway, since Maschine software doesn't seem to handle plugin latency very well yet.

Reefius wrote:I'm a Windows user and I'm all for 64 bit only. People who want to keep living in the past should simply not update anymore and happily keep using their outdated 32 bit software and plugins. Problem solved.
Explain to me how 32 bit software is outdated? In the case of my host, much as in the case of every OS, the 32 bit and 64 bit versions are functionally identical, especially given that the 32 bit version has always done all of its internal calculations in 64 bit anyway. That means there is zero improvement in sound quality and not a single new feature, so how does that make the 32 bit version outdated? It's more like the difference between an MY16 Ford Mustang and the MY18 model - all about keeping people on the upgrade cycle so the companies can keep getting money from customers and very little about actually making the thing better.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Without progress we would still be living in the stone age.

BONES wrote:That means there is zero improvement in sound quality and not a single new feature, so how does that make the 32 bit version outdated?
It's outdated by means on not being able to allocate more than 3.25 GB of RAM for its process. So as soon as you start using some large sample libraries, or simply just a lot of plugins in your project (they take up RAM too, and there are some RAM heavy plugins even if they don't use samples), it can crap out right there.

Not to mention that properly coded 64-bit software will also run faster.

Probably not something that is immediately obvious to most people, though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”