Trying to understand Custom Chords functionality

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Greg,

I've been an Orange Tree Samples customer for several years now but I'm just now digging into the custom chords functionality. The manual is not very descriptive for this, or at least, does not describe the function quite accurately as far as I can see.

I'm attempting to use my own custom chords in tandem with a strum pattern which is assigned to C0. To test, I'm simply selecting the first slot and then clicking on Learn New Chord, and playing C, E and G for a C Major chord, then, click on the second slot, then Learn New Chord, then play G, B, and D for a G major chord. It then appears that I still have to actually assign fret numbers to the strings on top of this? What is purpose of the learn chord functionality if I have to assign fret numbers anyway? Maybe I just don't understand the intended functionality.

Next question: this is quoted from the manual:

"For example, you could make it so that holding a
single "C" key will translate into a full custom C major chord voicing, or literally any other
voicing you want."

I can't figure out how to "assign" a single key to one of my learned custom chords. It seems it's not possible. The only way I can get the C Major chord to play is to play at least a C and an E together. If I have to do this, I don't know what the purpose of custom chords is then.

Finally, if I want to configure a really strange chord by just manually selecting the fret numbers, I can't figure how to trigger that chord either, since again, it seems I have to play a few of the notes of the chord, and for really exotic ones, I don't know what notes to play to trigger them. I guess I thought, based on the manual, that I could just assign a key to each custom chord to trigger them. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Can you please clarify how it's supposed to work? I feel as though the manual starts into the feature but isn't 100% clear on how it's supposed to work.

Thanks,
StPete

stpete111 wrote:...I'm simply selecting the first slot and then clicking on Learn New Chord, and playing C, E and G for a C Major chord, then, click on the second slot, then Learn New Chord, then play G, B, and D for a G major chord. It then appears that I still have to actually assign fret numbers to the strings on top of this? What is purpose of the learn chord functionality if I have to assign fret numbers anyway? Maybe I just don't understand the intended functionality.
That's because there are numerous ways to play those triads on the guitar. Custom chords allows you to specify the exact voicing.
I can't figure out how to "assign" a single key to one of my learned custom chords. It seems it's not possible. The only way I can get the C Major chord to play is to play at least a C and an E together. If I have to do this, I don't know what the purpose of custom chords is then.
Click "learn new chord" and then play a single note.
Finally, if I want to configure a really strange chord by just manually selecting the fret numbers, I can't figure how to trigger that chord either, since again, it seems I have to play a few of the notes of the chord, and for really exotic ones, I don't know what notes to play to trigger them. I guess I thought, based on the manual, that I could just assign a key to each custom chord to trigger them. This doesn't seem to be the case.
Think of the custom chords feature in two parts: the "learn new chord" button that is used to create triggers, and the fret selection numbers which determine the actual pitches used.

You can use any system you want to create a trigger (single notes, 5ths/powerchords, full chords with inversions).

Ah I see now. The part that I was missing was the function of the Learn New Chords button. I thought this button was used to learn the chord that I want to be a custom chord; I didn't realize this this is the button to assign the trigger. Ok that clears everything up for me then. I'll give it a whirl and I'll revert if any issues.

Thanks!

Sure thing! Glad it worked out! :)

Btw, you might want to just use Automatic Chords if you don’t need specific voicings. One way to get some extra timbral variety is to move the fretting position in the setup menu.

That way you can access tried and true voicings all over the neck. I believe that parameter can also be automated.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”