New TC 2290 plugin and hardware controller...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So even though you still can "use" it or have it function without the controller, the plugin GUI parameter controls are very limited, and you can only fully access every control with the hardware controller to do your tweaking/editing :? :dog:

So yeah, basically the controller is still a dongle if I'm understanding the video demo Sweetwater did, with no expandable GUI for all the other parameters. I saw the configuration "gear" icon and thought that would expand or bring up pages with every control but I guess not

https://youtu.be/R4xw1l72sB8

Hey, maybe it's not for everyone...

Seems a bit much for me. Even if it perfectly models all the input an output stages of the original unit it's still just a delay with some added mojo. I'm guessing their going for professional studios that employ the sorts of engineers who use $10000 gear regularly. I'm sure at some point they'll make a version that doesn't need the controller. Even then I'll probably pass. With the amount of delays I have just bundled with DAW software, one more at this price point seems a bit silly.

I'm sure the pro market will pick up the slack of all us little folks not grabbing it up in droves.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Can't say 350 is that expensive. Most UAD plugins cost 350$ and they need a hardware "controller" that cost 1000$.
I don't think anyone's said $350 is too much for a plugin + cool dedicated controller.
I hereby do.

UAD? That's easily the most outrageously overpriced stuff out there... way to go for a reality check. :party:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Can't say 350 is that expensive. Most UAD plugins cost 350$ and they need a hardware "controller" that cost 1000$.
I don't think anyone's said $350 is too much for a plugin + cool dedicated controller.
I hereby do.

UAD? That's easily the most outrageously overpriced stuff out there... way to go for a reality check. :party:
$350 for a delay plugin? Absolutely! With the hardware controller? Seems a bit more reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I think they should split the two out and sell the delay separetely for MUCH less. But the hardware controller is obviously going to add considerable cost.

I happened to watch this and it seems the hardware is interestingly flexible, not that I'll be buying it mind you.. but it does do things other delays (that I know of) don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7pmCq33S94

I don't know whether it's viewable everywhere, but Sweetwater's vid is a very good run-down of the features...

https://youtu.be/R4xw1l72sB8

I don't see the point of this type of controller. It doesn't really strike me as a performance controller or even something like a channel strip where knobs trump the mouse. It's just a digital interface for a digital plugin.

hmm... fancy looking mouse :D

feels "a bit" overpriced, maybe they thought that the cool presentation video would help with the perceived value. :party:

I don't understand the idea that the price is too high. When i first saw it, I imagined it selling at $500...minimum :shrug:

Gadget13769 wrote:rather than reaching for the mouse and clicking fiddly icons
So the UI on screen is terrible then ?
Or are you suggesting that anybody actually posting on a forum for audio software is struggling with using software because of "fiddly icons"
Duh

bungle wrote:
Gadget13769 wrote:rather than reaching for the mouse and clicking fiddly icons
So the UI on screen is terrible then ?
Or are you suggesting that anybody actually posting on a forum for audio software is struggling with using software because of "fiddly icons"
No, it's much the same as any other, but reaching for a mouse to re-locate and change a parameter is not as easy as being able to simply tap a key on the desk in front of you, especially if you are playing an instrument.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I don't understand the idea that the price is too high. When i first saw it, I imagined it selling at $500...minimum :shrug:
as I see it, it's a small midi controller and a plugin... how much could it be?

I like the idea, I instantly imagined other companies doing the same for their plugins :love: just, I want to see a fair price..

If they made other plugins with controllers in the same format and a rack of some sort I could understand the concept.

Otherwise Its another bit ot plastic to find space for on your desk.

How much use would it get compared to other non dedicated controllers that have mulitiple uses.

Its just a delay with a sexy controller
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:...Otherwise Its another bit ot plastic to find space for on your desk...
Metal top and bottom ;)

Return to “Effects”