New wavetable synth - Sektor by Initial Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sektor

Again, I would ask Roger Linn about this. If 24 was the max then you would not be able to use Bitwig instruments with MPE for example, and Roger Linn gives Bitwig 8-track away with a linnstrument and there are plenty of videos of linnstrument being used in Bitwig wi hthe built-in instruments, so there must be something we're not seeing. Perhaps it is the linnstrument script from bitwig which translates the 24 bend range into the 48 that is needed by bitwig, I don't know.

fdco wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
fdco wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:
recursive one wrote:I wish the synth had some wavefrom bending tools, perhaps like those in Serum, better disotrtions, more filter types, maybe some analogue-modelled ones, then I probably would buy it even at the full price, as for now I can't imagine what it may do better than Serum, Spire and Viper. i don't have a MPE controller, the MPE compatibility seems to be the main selling point of this synth.
Would you then recommend it to me, as I do have a LinnStrument but I don't have Serum, Spire and also no Viper...?
What I do have is Thorn (no MPE), Halion (a beast, MPE possible but complicated) and all the Apple synths (MPE but don't work in Bitwig)
It's not working correctly with the LinnStrument. My understanding is that the pitch bend range in MPE mode in Sektor is a fixed 48 semitones.
Modifying the pitch wheel value doesn't do anything.
The LinnStrument works with a 24 semitones max pitch bend range so when sliding all the intervals are wrong.
I contacted their support and they answered me that they have never heard about the LinnStrument and so they cannot test.
This can't be true. 48 note pitch bend range is the official midi specification for mpe bend range. Roger Linn was involved in the MPE midi specification. The linnstrument must have a way to set the pitch bend to +/-48 notes, or at least have a full MPE mode that would have that range. Perhaps it only has 24 note range in a non-MPE mode or something. I'd ask Roger Linn about that because I'm sure his MPE instrument would not be MPE non-compliant.
Well, my LinnStrument 128 does +/- 2, +/-3, +/-12, +/-24
Try reading the manual...
from the manual>>
BEND RANGE
This is the number of columns you must slide your finger left or right in order to send the minimum or maximum MIDI Pitch Bend value. For example, a setting of 12 means sliding left or right 12 note cells produces the maximum bend value. Set your synth’s Bend Range to the same value. Options are +/- 2, 3, 12 or 24.
Note: To change the "+/-24" option to any value from 1 to 96, hold the "+/-24" pad and the screen will display the current value in large numbers. Swipe left or right to adjust it from 1 to 96. If other than 24, its light in the Per-Split Settings screen will change to the split's accent color.
Unless I am missing something here!

toonertik wrote:
fdco wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
fdco wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:
recursive one wrote:I wish the synth had some wavefrom bending tools, perhaps like those in Serum, better disotrtions, more filter types, maybe some analogue-modelled ones, then I probably would buy it even at the full price, as for now I can't imagine what it may do better than Serum, Spire and Viper. i don't have a MPE controller, the MPE compatibility seems to be the main selling point of this synth.
Would you then recommend it to me, as I do have a LinnStrument but I don't have Serum, Spire and also no Viper...?
What I do have is Thorn (no MPE), Halion (a beast, MPE possible but complicated) and all the Apple synths (MPE but don't work in Bitwig)
It's not working correctly with the LinnStrument. My understanding is that the pitch bend range in MPE mode in Sektor is a fixed 48 semitones.
Modifying the pitch wheel value doesn't do anything.
The LinnStrument works with a 24 semitones max pitch bend range so when sliding all the intervals are wrong.
I contacted their support and they answered me that they have never heard about the LinnStrument and so they cannot test.
This can't be true. 48 note pitch bend range is the official midi specification for mpe bend range. Roger Linn was involved in the MPE midi specification. The linnstrument must have a way to set the pitch bend to +/-48 notes, or at least have a full MPE mode that would have that range. Perhaps it only has 24 note range in a non-MPE mode or something. I'd ask Roger Linn about that because I'm sure his MPE instrument would not be MPE non-compliant.
Well, my LinnStrument 128 does +/- 2, +/-3, +/-12, +/-24
Try reading the manual...
from the manual>>
BEND RANGE
This is the number of columns you must slide your finger left or right in order to send the minimum or maximum MIDI Pitch Bend value. For example, a setting of 12 means sliding left or right 12 note cells produces the maximum bend value. Set your synth’s Bend Range to the same value. Options are +/- 2, 3, 12 or 24.
Note: To change the "+/-24" option to any value from 1 to 96, hold the "+/-24" pad and the screen will display the current value in large numbers. Swipe left or right to adjust it from 1 to 96. If other than 24, its light in the Per-Split Settings screen will change to the split's accent color.
Unless I am missing something here!
Thank you,
I skipped that part of the manual.
Still not working at 48 nor 96.
This only happens with Sektor, no problem with Logic's instruments, works great with Diva and Bazille.
Nevermind.

You're not missing much tbh, this is a pretty generic wavetable synth. My favorite part of Sektor is all of the GUI customization possibilities. I'm a sucker for customizing the look of my music software when possible and I wish more devs would do what Initial Audio did here. Everything else about Sektor is "meh" for me, though. Then again I already have Serum, z3ta+ and Zebra, so...

fdco wrote:I skipped that part of the manual.
Still not working at 48 nor 96.
This only happens with Sektor, no problem with Logic's instruments, works great with Diva and Bazille.
Nevermind.
Do you test it in Bitwig? Its a pain there with MPE. You have to tick "force MPE" to make it pass the Midi channels. But not with all instruments. Equator for example will play correctly without, as will Bitwigs own instruments as well.

For testing MPE synths I always load them into Mainstage or Logic. Both deal with it without any hassle. Bitwig made some very wrong design decisions regarding MPE, its only half way working. They know about it, but until now didn't address it...

I won't get in the next update round if they didn't fix it...

Despite owning almost all of the major wavetable synths, something has interested me about this one. Allthough, since i bought ana....the chances of me actually getting it went down.
However i had a moment th other week; i tried out their 808 studio (Sub bass synth) and was actually blown away.
Its such a simple synth! I never thought i woud like it enough to want to get it. Specially when i can just recreate something similar in almost any other synth. But there is just something about it. It is made for a very specific task and it just sounds great. And thats exactly it - the SOUND is brilliant. The oscillators actually sound fantastic. You just load the thing up and instantly you have a great sub bass.
Im wondering if it will be the same with sektor.
How long is the sale on for? I have to buy Avenger whilst it is on sale also!

DavidCarlyon wrote:Despite owning almost all of the major wavetable synths, something has interested me about this one. Allthough, since i bought ana....the chances of me actually getting it went down.
However i had a moment th other week; i tried out their 808 studio (Sub bass synth) and was actually blown away.
Its such a simple synth! I never thought i woud like it enough to want to get it. Specially when i can just recreate something similar in almost any other synth. But there is just something about it. It is made for a very specific task and it just sounds great. And thats exactly it - the SOUND is brilliant. The oscillators actually sound fantastic. You just load the thing up and instantly you have a great sub bass.

If you have ANA 2 and you're buying Avenger soon, but you still want this one.... that's GAS. :wink:
Actually, the price is good on the sale so I may check out the demo again. The first time I checked it out, it just didn't click with me for some reason.

Examigan wrote:
DavidCarlyon wrote:Despite owning almost all of the major wavetable synths, something has interested me about this one. Allthough, since i bought ana....the chances of me actually getting it went down.

If you have ANA 2 and you're buying Avenger soon, but you still want this one.... that's GAS. :wink:
Actually, the price is good on the sale so I may check out the demo again. The first time I checked it out, it just didn't click with me for some reason.
Yeah, I was actually attacked by GAS as I already had VPS Avenger and Tone2's Icarus. But you can't go wrong with this price tag. But one thing that I think need immediate improvement is the filter section. I think it just lack of filter type (only those standard one). And the graphical presentation of the ADSR of the filter can be improved as well.

Yeah can’t say I’m super impressed by the filters. Nice synth but didn’t quite win me over. But I’m not exactly looking to fill any gaps.

plexuss wrote:Since Sektor was compared to Serum I decided to play both side by side, trying out different patches and programming. I do hear some similarity but Sektor has a grittier sound do it. They sound different. Not in completely different ball-parks, but different sides of the same ball-park. I could also hear some character of Audio Damage Phosphor in Sektor.

Frankly, if I just consider it a sound bank of 750 sounds for $50 its more than worth it. But as a full synth AND with all the nice features like re-sizable GUI, GUI colour customization, and all the synth options which parallel Serum in terms of functionality, and a nice library of wavetables and libraries... $50? No brainer.

Purchased.

And 3 machine activations, no hardware dongle required. Apparently no license transfer though.
Another trigger point that I bought this synth is : Lifetime free updates. Pay once and get all future updates for free.

I bought sektor on the sale , the quetion is , do i need to pay tax?
Intial charged every customer even if he isn't lives in EU.
I sent them an email and this is the answer:
"You are buying a digital product from a Germany based online store. After purchase you download a file from a EU based Server. This is like you go in a German Store and buy a bottle of Coca Cola, you also have to pay VAT in this case. Physical products are tax free, but you may have to pay Customs Duty in your country uppon arrival. "

"i have no idea what kind of ways other developers have found to avoid the tax... maybe they are not ocated in germany, maybe they deliver their files from a server that it not eu based, i dont know. As i sayd we had long discussions with our tax advisors and we have to collect the vat and forward it to the german governemen. This is why the page on the checkout page also says "incl. **.**$ tax".
I know this is not the answer you would like to hear but there is no way around for us"

Am i wrong here? :?

I've never paid VAT as a U.S.-based customer of any plugin developer in an EU country. They're legally covering themselves but it's incumbent upon them not to burden non-EU customers with it.

Also, if you (as a non-EU visitor) visit Germany and buy a bottle of Coca Cola, you can get a refund of the VAT if it is exported within 3 months. But to do this once you're outside of Germany... I don't know how to do that. Initial Audio needs to sort it out with their payment processor like everyone else does. Honestly, this makes them look bad.

Thank you @yellowmix
Anyone else can put more light here?

Just because i asked for tax refund , intial said they are refund my order.

:x

Sektor - great, capable synth with useless presets. Indeed, presets are making this synth sound like a toy.

Return to “Instruments”