Best First Orchestral Library Under 200 Dollars?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

royosho wrote: Alicia Keys Grand Piano - 100
Tia Guo Legato Solo Cello - 100
:idiot:
Last edited by jancivil on Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

royosho wrote:Spitfire Alternative Strings is a repackaging of the Artisan Cello/Violin plus a new Viola/Bass (both new additions sampled without legato? hmm...) However the original Artisan Cello and Artisan Violin sound perfect for what I'm looking for! Both were around 70 each, however aren't on the spitfire website anymore. Are they available anywhere?
Sadly, no. They did a "last chance" discount on those two for about a week or two when ASS was released, then retired them as separate instruments.

I think that one, if not both, of these ideas are flawed :shrug:

Maybe post a WTB for Project Sam Orchestral Essentials 1. Although it's 350 normally, you often find it for around 200. I did.

jancivil wrote: Seems like someone said Pianoteq beats all sampled pianos. Well, I disagree with that. That's a sign of hearing loss IME. Approach this as though we're all full of shit, trust but verify. ;)
Yes, it was me. I did extensive testing with many piano libraries (the ones I HAVE). Sure, there are more, but I think I have a good collection, and I definitely prefer Pianoteq over all sampled ones.

I tested it with real solo piano pieces, most of them recorded real time. I think that to really test a piano library, you have to use things like Rachmaninoff Prelude in C Sharp minor, Chopin Etude Op 10 n.12 or Chopin Fantaisie Impromptu (because of the dynamic range of the pieces, the extension used and the different types of piano writing and techniques put in the pieces). Most of the demos I listen to in the Net use some kind of pop piano or vanilla jazz piano that really don't push the piano sound to its boundaries, where we can check if it really stands up or fails, in terms of pedal resonance, strings sound and resonance, sympathetic resonance and overall body of the sound.

I accompanied Pianoteq since the beginning. I was sceptical for many years, and I only bought Pianoteq at version 5. I am convinced now.
Fernando (FMR)

Before you guys start arguing about pianos :D what about this deal...

vsl se vol 1 - strings (150) + percussion & more (50) = 200... includes solo/ensemble strings + piano, harp, melodic and regular percussion.

royosho wrote:Before you guys start arguing about pianos :D what about this deal...

vsl se vol 1 - strings (150) + percussion & more (50) = 200... includes solo/ensemble strings + piano, harp, melodic and regular percussion.
This, at least, makes sense :tu:

royosho wrote:Before you guys start arguing about pianos :D what about this deal...

If your idea is to use the included piano as a solo piano, I don't think it will stand up. IMO, it is intended to be used in orchestral scores, the ways piano is usually used in those scores. So, is is thought for ensemble use, not solo piano use (but it may stand up in a chamber ensemble - frankly, since I have other pianos, I didn't pay much attention to it)

This said I think the library is worth it, but you would make a better deal buying immediately the Special Edition Vol. 1 as a whole. I have the entire SE Complete collection, and I am very pleased with it.
Fernando (FMR)

the strings are 136 from sweetwater and I'll receive a 160 discount from vsl towards the entire bundle so its quite a nice deal. uvi orchestral suite is 200. eastwest hollywood strings gold is 200.

fmr wrote:
jancivil wrote: Seems like someone said Pianoteq beats all sampled pianos. Well, I disagree with that. That's a sign of hearing loss IME. Approach this as though we're all full of shit, trust but verify. ;)
Yes, it was me. I did extensive testing with many piano libraries (the ones I HAVE). Sure, there are more, but I think I have a good collection, and I definitely prefer Pianoteq over all sampled ones.

I tested it with real solo piano pieces, most of them recorded real time. I think that to really test a piano library, you have to use things like Rachmaninoff Prelude in C Sharp minor, Chopin Etude Op 10 n.12 or Chopin Fantaisie Impromptu (because of the dynamic range of the pieces, the extension used and the different types of piano writing and techniques put in the pieces). Most of the demos I listen to in the Net use some kind of pop piano or vanilla jazz piano that really don't push the piano sound to its boundaries, where we can check if it really stands up or fails, in terms of pedal resonance, strings sound and resonance, sympathetic resonance and overall body of the sound.

I accompanied Pianoteq since the beginning. I was sceptical for many years, and I only bought Pianoteq at version 5. I am convinced now.
Agree Pianoteq is by far the best virtual Piano its modelling not samples are superb..trust me I've been producing for years and the dynamics and tones are spot on.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

the true test of a good virtual piano is whether jordan rudess endorses it :ud:

Yeah. Do this instead of Tina Guo and the other girl.

seriously

I don't care that much about the Pianoteq advocacy, just taking the piss. It sounds too plastic last I heard a demo.
Calls to mind Mario with his not-really-evil ways who also thinks VB3 is the shit. Normal loss of sensitivity to highs, it happens. :)

I have the VSL SE Percussion, it's very good-sounding percussion, all the usual suspects and a couple of unusual things.

31 Percussion
Thundersheet, railway rails, metal chimes, table castanets, triangle, crotales

Super-efficient on resources...

Again, you'll qualify for breaks on pricing buying VSL.

iirc the piano in SE Perc has a bum note. I recall using it exactly once, it was absolutely perfect with their EQ preset making it sound like a stage electric grand. Like the once bane of my existence, the Yamaha but much more musical. It's probably not a real go-to for purist classical piano solos.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but East West Hollywood Orchestra is wonderful. The silver version is $299.00 but they have sales often. You might find it well under $$200.00. You can then upgrade to higher versions as your needs change.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”