Ending subscription to Slate Everything Bundle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone, just looking for some opinions on this.

I recently decided that I'd like to untangle myself from the Slate Everything Bundle subscription, because I can no longer justify paying monthly for plugins that I'll never own.

However, I now have an issue: what of all the mixes I've done that include those plugins? They're mainly mixes I've done for my own music or for friends - nothing professional. But it'd still be nice to be able to return to those mixes at a later date if needed.

(in Pro Tools) Is freezing and/or committing tracks enough? How do you guys handle this? Just looking for ideas and experiences.

Thanks!

MikeMcKew wrote: However, I now have an issue: what of all the mixes I've done that include those plugins?
You just pointed out the reason never to rent software.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yep, I've learned my lesson. If only I had thought about this two years ago when I started the subscription! :neutral:
Teksonik wrote:
MikeMcKew wrote: However, I now have an issue: what of all the mixes I've done that include those plugins?

Do it clean right? Bounce whats good and make a new version of every file with those plugs in there and cut em out... maybe come back to it later with replacements and all that

Armagibbon wrote:Do it clean right? Bounce whats good and make a new version of every file with those plugs in there and cut em out... maybe come back to it later with replacements and all that
True, probably the best way. I'm tempted to just give up on the whole thing and deal with it when the time comes. :D Since like I said, these aren't like professional mixes or anything.

Teksonik wrote:
Point well made. That's the only reason why I haven't did the Slate Digital bundle rental. It just seems like you locked in forever when you shouldn't be.

u could always just rent for a month if you needed to revisit the mixes.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Render those mixes first for referance while the bundle is still active. Then look for more permanent tools that can work and the try and rerender your mixes to try to get it the same as your reference versions...

I use Logic. What I do, as a safe-guard, is bounce out all tracks including effects and mix busses to stems. I call the stems "wet" and "dry": wet stems include the effects and automation, dry do not - just the source audio.

You can open those projects in the future only of course if you own a licenses for the plugins. One rationale you can use is, if its possible to only pay for one month, you can re-subscrive to get 1 month of work done. This is not a bad way to utilize a software subscription.

I use Logic. What I do, as a safe-guard, is bounce out all tracks including effects and mix busses to stems. I call the stems "wet" and "dry": wet stems include the effects and automation, dry do not - just the source audio.

You can open those projects in the future only of course if you own a licenses for the plugins. One rationale you can use is, if its possible to only pay for one month, you can re-subscrive to get 1 month of work done. This is not a bad way to utilize a software subscription.

To me when using plugins like owning guitars and selling them. They are tools for a while or possibly long while but updates occur. I cannot go back to mixes done years ago unless like previous poster stated to wet and dry mixes. Software gets updated companies go out of business.

I'd render the audio with and without the effects. Take screenshots of the settings and automation curves... store it all in the project folder make some notes.

MikeMcKew wrote:Yep, I've learned my lesson. If only I had thought about this two years ago when I started the subscription! :neutral:
Teksonik wrote:
Doesn't Slate let you rent for just a month if you need to?

In any case, printing stems is a good idea under practically all situations. Companies go out of business. OS and machine updates can stop things for which you have a permanent licence failing. You might even lose access to the DAW in which they were done. All you're losing with the alternative is some disk space for the stems.

Chances are if they aren't finished mixes, you'll make different decisions and find you don't need or want the processing in the Slate versions. And if you do, well, you've got the stems (if you print them).

Scotty wrote:I'd render the audio with and without the effects. Take screenshots of the settings and automation curves... store it all in the project folder make some notes.
I think that's always a good thing to do—subscription or no subscription—since plugins / OS can break, plugin licenses might have been sold so you no longer have them, etc. I do this on a regular basis, and name each song folder by title, the BPM, key, and sample rate. (I also name my tracks by the synth used and my saved preset name). This way, not only can this info be seen at immediate glance without looking for the notes, but the audio files can be imported into even a new session (like if the original project file no longer opens for whatever reason or you changed DAWs) and you will always know what tempo to set and what sample rate you need upon creating a new project. This way all bases are covered and you're good to go without any fuss.

Another thing you could do, depending on which Slate plugins you're using, is a half-way house between a 'wet' and 'dry' archive of each track.
There are plugins like Waves Q-Clone which can capture an approximation of the frequency response of a plugin chain, pretty much an impulse response. It wont completely replicate the original plugin, but it will give you a controllable alternative to those plugins that you can use as a placeholder.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Effects”