Spire 1.1.3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spire went 1.1.3 (didn't find any post about it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... XJ2AEKlLhc
Also over easter the soundpacks are all around 10-15 bucks.

The shaper in the filter section:
Is it per voice or what's the difference to shaper in fx section?

no vowel filter but a vowel OSC..dunno.
Sounds not bad, but you can't ..like..filter osc through a vowelfilter..hmm.
(edit: The Phaser doubles as a vowel filter in fx section)
Last edited by Klinke1 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
- WonderEcho -

It's 1.1.13, and it has been for over three months.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Yes, excellent observation!
- WonderEcho -

The post was in the spire thread and also Kvr news.

I guess it was posted somewhere but i didn't see it when i used the search.

Didn't want to name the topic "Spire sounds cheap atm"
I had some crackly lfo/env amount-knobs at 96kHz and was hoping it is better with the new version..nope.
- WonderEcho -

You may place the "shaper" filter before a regular envelope-controlled filter to emulate filter drive. The vowel osc sounds very nice, but I think 9 or 10 psytrance producers will use it in each and every track in next few years, so I'm already prepared to grow tired as fvck of its sound :)

Indeed there may be some artifacts in the sound when fast modulations are used (fast LFOs or oscillators at audio rate), I wish there was a HQ mode for the modulation like in Dune2 please don't call Dasheesh here
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I never use such high sample rates, but, found that you can get pretty fast with the LFO's, until it starts to break up. At least the typical FM kind sounds sounded pretty good to me. But, best to have audio rate, of course. :) Maybe in Spire 2, also featuring ZDF filters (just a hope ;)).

chk071 wrote:I never use such high sample rates, but, found that you can get pretty fast with the LFO's, until it starts to break up. At least the typical FM kind sounds sounded pretty good to me. But, best to have audio rate, of course. :)
Well, I make psytrance so I ofen go wild with modulations and FM :) This is where Spire doen't perform that well, it is possible to make some nice FM-ish sounds using osc to osc modulation, but you have to stay within limited sweet spots otherwise it may easily sound harsh and ugly. I guess when making more "normal" sounds it is not that important. I'm not talking about the FM oscillators here, no such problems with these but they sound a bit too smooth.

recursive one wrote:You may place the "shaper" filter before a regular envelope-controlled filter to emulate filter drive. The vowel osc sounds very nice, but I think 9 or 10 psytrance producers will use it in each and every track in next few years, so I'm already prepared to grow tired as fvck of its sound :)

Indeed there may be some artifacts in the sound when fast modulations are used (fast LFOs or oscillators at audio rate), I wish there was a HQ mode for the modulation like in Dune2 please don't call Dasheesh here
Thanks for the info.
(my problem is that the amount-knobs crackle when used with mouse.
It's related to the fact that i use Babyface with buffer: 128 @96kHz.
When i release the pressure to buffer: 256 it's gone.)

It's not easy for CPU..but it's also the only synth i got the problems with.
(the only problematic synth beside is System-8 with other problems)

--
There's a hardware synth which has some "fast modulation slots" for special tasks, while the rest is normal. Good idea.. But forgot the name.
- WonderEcho -

Just wondering, but... do you guys like how the shaper behaves? I mean... there's already quite a bit of saturation when you place the shaper, and, when you crank up the resonance, it obviously gets a lot more. For me, it's already a tad too much, when you place the shaper, let alone when you turn up the resonance. I'd really like it to behave more like a filter drive. It rather feels like a saturator/distortion. And, i also really dislike that it occupies a filter slot. Should be available for both filters really. IMO, Reveal-Sound really should consider making Spire 2, because, Spire 1 seems to have reached an architectural, and GUI dead end. It hasn't really been thought out from the beginning, and, the more they add, the more they run into trouble with placing the respective functionality anywhere.

The infecto filter doesn't have any saturation on its own so placing the shaper before it gives you controllable saturation.

Overall this shaper requires accurate finetuning, like pretty much everything else in Spire.

Right. I actually tried it with the Perfecto filter, which already has some saturation (i think the oscillator levels also already drive the signal a bit). I will try with the Infecto filter later. :)

chk071 wrote:IMO, Reveal-Sound really should consider making Spire 2, because, Spire 1 seems to have reached an architectural, and GUI dead end. It hasn't really been thought out from the beginning, and, the more they add, the more they run into trouble with placing the respective functionality anywhere.
That's one of the reasons I never bought it, despite your frequent recommendations (at least in the past :wink: ). It never convinced me, several small things I don't like about it, but they add up...

The shaper thing turned out to be user error... instead of using it before the filter, i used it after the filter. Doh. :dog:
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Does anyone know how to add 3rd party skins to Spire?
Nothing seems to work for me.

Return to “Instruments”