Now I Understand Why People Hate iLok

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Armagibbon wrote:
chk071 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
chk071 wrote:doomsday is near, and that noone should use it, and we should boycott it. Like some kind of religious cult, really.
The difference being that the iLokalypse was very real, pretty recent, and literally doomed some professionals to lose a hell of a lot of money, and nearly their entire livelihoods.
The buzzword "iLokalypse" already speaks chapters about the seriousness of such claims. ;)

If there was an article in a magazine, and they'd talk about the iLokalypse, i'd naturally ask whether or not they hired a advertising agency for the creation of the word, like in the cases where a "serious" computer virus surfaces. BTW, a serious bug in a software can also stop it from being operable. Would you seriously sue the developer of the plugin then, if you "lost a hell of a lot money", or "nearly your entire livelihood"? Or would you try to get the job done with another plugin? I call BS, TBH.
Yea you try usin another plug at the 11th hour when you got it all tight and right and shit like that happens. I mean its like... yea cool got it done. Just gotta throw away 15min doin license transfers like I always do! Gonna go print it on the render box or send it to the other studio right? Guess what? Servers are f*ckin down or update f*cks all your sticks. Yea great now cant get anything done cus licenses stuck in limbo means I gotta do it all again with plugs that dont use ilok or whatever. Whats that? Client cant wait? Yea sure hold up just gonna do this f*ckin 16 hour project again in like 1 hour with free shit I never use...
I figure you speak out of experience there?`If not, then that's a nice story. But not some kind of fact.

electro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:This brings up a very interesting question. How many plugins are TRULY so unique and amazing that they can't be replaced by something else for what they do and still have relatively the same quality?
Eventide Anthology X and Relab LX480.
I'd add the Exponential Audio plugins to that as well.

electro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:This brings up a very interesting question. How many plugins are TRULY so unique and amazing that they can't be replaced by something else for what they do and still have relatively the same quality?
Since i got it yesterday i would also add Eventide Blackhole to the list. I love that one.

Lexicon MPX Native too which i got since a while now. Not to forget UVI Falcon, UVi Thorus, UVI USQ-1 and VI Labs Ravenscroft 275.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
electro wrote:
Since i got it yesterday i would also add Eventide Blackhole to the list. I love that one.
It's part of Eventide Anthology. :)

djanthonyw wrote:The people who have a chipper smile while they say "iLok is great!" remind me of the sheep who say "Taxation is the price we pay for a civilized society".

"Here ya go PACE / IRS, please take my money! Give me muh protection, and muh roads!".

Happy slaves.
Wow, we really have crossed the rubicon here, even for KVR. I think the argument goes.... um.... iLok users who are ok with iLok are as bad as those who think paying tax is an OK thing to do. Roads are for saps, schools are for wimps, the police are agents of the Deep State and hospitals (well, in most of the world apart from the US) are for the weak. Tax Payers are all sheep, zombie sheep probably, whose eyes have not been opened to The Truth. Bilderberg Twin Towers Never Went To The Moon Grassy Knoll.

You thought paying 30 bucks to do your job or have fun making music was OK? Happy slaves!!!!

Right. Time to close the internet, this whole online thing has got out of hand.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

:)

Just a normal day in Internetland, i'm afraid.

noiseboyuk wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:The people who have a chipper smile while they say "iLok is great!" remind me of the sheep who say "Taxation is the price we pay for a civilized society".

"Here ya go PACE / IRS, please take my money! Give me muh protection, and muh roads!".

Happy slaves.
Wow, we really have crossed the rubicon here, even for KVR. I think the argument goes.... um.... iLok users who are ok with iLok are as bad as those who think paying tax is an OK thing to do. Roads are for saps, schools are for wimps, the police are agents of the Deep State and hospitals (well, in most of the world apart from the US) are for the weak. Tax Payers are all sheep, zombie sheep probably, whose eyes have not been opened to The Truth. Bilderberg Twin Towers Never Went To The Moon Grassy Knoll.

You thought paying 30 bucks to do your job or have fun making music was OK? Happy slaves!!!!

:clap: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

wagtunes wrote: I actually agree with you 100%. It's disgraceful that if a PC lasts more than 5 years it's a miracle. I'm just stating reality of the situation. I accept it because there isn't a hell of a lot I can do about it short of saying enough and tossing my PC out a window. But since I want the benefits that I do get from owning one, I can't do that.
I totally feel for that situation... because it is mine as well (meaning, I'm stuck using computers). I'm not saying "stop using computers". I'm just commenting on the language used when talking about our entrapment. :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Ingonator wrote:
electro wrote:

Lexicon MPX Native too which i got since a while now. Not to forget UVI Falcon, UVi Thorus, UVI USQ-1 and VI Labs Ravenscroft 275.
Anthology 11 includes Blackhole. Pretty much everything by Zynaptiq but specifically pitchmap. Now this gets subjective, but if you think that you know something that can replace Ircam's verb3 then I want to know about it.

This is also subjective but I don't think that there is anything like Flux's Alchemist or Solera that has both the audio features and the workflow.

Related but not exactly the same, AFAIK, there isn't anything at all that works as well as VSL's Ensemble Pro (on eLicenser).

On the other hand, there's almost nothing that isn't either protected by C/R, iLok, or eLicenser that I can say the same about, that is, I think that I could easily find a replacement for most of my serial only or license file software. I think that only Uhe, Reaper, and Plogue Bidule really qualify there. Honorable mention to Liquisonics for Reverberate 2, but, they've since gone to iLok to protect their work.

braj wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:

Happy slaves.

:clap: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Seriously.

Some people in this thread remind me of old ladies who never maintain their car and whine about the manufacturer. Every machine needs regular maintenance, particularly if you're always modifying it: with new plugins that put files in the wrong place, software demos that never uninstall properly, incompatible OS updates, leftover kernel extensions, old hardware drivers, yada-yada. As my mechanic says, "take care of your machine, and it will take care of you!"
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Both UVI Relayer and Torus were on my wishlist, but they are not anymore because of iLok. I won't buy faulty products.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Just a personal experience. I recently reinstalled everything. iLok and eLicencer registration were up an running instantly. Challenge Response has been a nightmare. Between failed server communications and having run out of authorisations it has been several days of waiting for companies to respond and sort the registration out. I'm not really a fan of dongles, at all, but seriously, C/R is the real enemy.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:Just a personal experience. I recently reinstalled everything. iLok and eLicencer registration were up an running instantly. Challenge Response has been a nightmare. Between failed server communications and having run out of authorisations it has been several days of waiting for companies to respond and sort the registration out. I'm not really a fan of dongles, at all, but seriously, C/R is the real enemy.

Agreed... C/R is the worst.

Still won't defend iLok to the point to say its great... but it's not C/R.

Car analogies are right up there too though.

Synthman2000 wrote: As an iLok user I never feel "Oh drat, that excellent software is iLok only." That must be continually frustrating to be in that position. More so than using an iLok in my own experience so far.
It IS frustrating. Especially since the exact CP a product uses is not always evident without doing some digging. But IMHO it can't be compared to actually using something, because the act of shopping for software is ultimately much more trivial than the act of creating at one's workstation.

I think the purveyors of oppressive CP should have to have warning labels prominently displayed, the same way they do with cigarettes.
Michael

Return to “Instruments”