Swedish DJ Avicii Dead at age 28

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:While he was well known within the EDM scene, I bet the vast majority of the general population had never heard of him. When Michael Jackson or Frank Sinatra died, almost everyone knew who those were, modern "stars" on the other hand have a rather limited scope.

oh.

EDM is not pop though.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, some people are just off, poor them...
...because they were driven there. There are birth defects and hereditary diseases, but self-destruction is often (if not usually) caused by abuse/trauma. It could have been traumatic living with inherited health problems, but "being off" is still caused by experiences more than not.

This is not a new thing for "today's youth", either. Yes, fame and fortune make it easier to indulge in self-destruction, but it is like pouring gasoline on a fire; it doesn't (usually) start the fire.

Overall: I wasn't a fan, but 28 is too f**king young to die. I'm curious to know what his personal life story is. Mostly because I want to know if he's yet another "same old story" or something different. Either way, it's a shitty thing to have a short life.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fluffy_little_something wrote:While he was well known within the EDM scene, I bet the vast majority of the general population had never heard of him. When Michael Jackson or Frank Sinatra died, almost everyone knew who those were, modern "stars" on the other hand have a rather limited scope.
I respectfully disagree.
Many non edm people have been talking about his death today.
Avicii was all over the mainstream radio with multiple charting tracks.
People knew who he was.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote:
I respectfully disagree.
People knew who he was.
A lot of people including myself no longer listen to charts or the radio as such. They are not exposed to such music, unless they deliberately do so. I highly doubt my mom and dad for instance have ever heard of Avicii. They are typical baby boomers - a huge junk of the population. We wouldn't even know how to pronounce that name 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote:
I respectfully disagree.
People knew who he was.
A lot of people including myself no longer listen to charts or the radio as such. They are not exposed to such music, unless they deliberately do so. I highly doubt my mom and dad for instance have ever heard of Avicii. They are typical baby boomers - a huge junk of the population. We wouldn't even know how to pronounce that name 8)
I don't know how old your parents are, mine are 60+ and they for sure know who Avicii was, and also liked some of his music. I'm pretty sure my grandparents also would recognize a few of his songs, but they might not be able to tell who the artist is. Could be because we are Swedes though.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

My parents are in their 70's.
Yes, being Swedish probably helps :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote:
I respectfully disagree.
People knew who he was.
and this has what to do with this thread? The point is there are plenty of people who are fans and do wish to mourn his loss. If you have nothing to add then why say anything?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Someone has to add something beyond the pointless "RIP xyz" posts. Neither the thread title nor the opener even says this is one of those silly 5-minute virtual online-mourning RIP threads about someone one didn't even know personally.

But go ahead, knock yourselves out in the usual RIP quagmire, I am out...

my condolences

fluffy_little_something wrote:Someone has to add something beyond the pointless "RIP xyz" posts. Neither the thread title nor the opener even says this is one of those silly 5-minute virtual online-mourning RIP threads about someone one didn't even know personally.

But go ahead, knock yourselves out in the usual RIP quagmire, I am out...
knocking the guy is adding something? :roll:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Mushy Mushy wrote:In Oman though. No drugs or alcohol there.
Gotta be an accident or foul play etc.
He was a serious piss head

I guess his tedious tracks will be non stop for the next week :roll:

AnX wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:In Oman though. No drugs or alcohol there.
Gotta be an accident or foul play etc.
He was a serious piss head
I was thinking about this overnight. Let’s be generous and say he started drinking at 15. That’s only 13 years. He’d need to eat and drink only alcohol for that time to do enough damage to make it terminal. However, the same thing happened to Amy Winehouse I think.

Anyway we still don’t know the cause for certain.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Oh, he was my age. That's terrifying :scared: But also just sad.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I must say that the general tone of this thread is pretty depressing.
Who cares wether you liked his music or not as it doesn’t alter the fact that he was a human being that deserves a little compassion. After all he was part of the community we call music and as such his passing should be something we commiserate, we should not be making snide, glib or unwarranted negative comments... and 28 is much too young for anyone to pass away.
Have we all become so insensitive ?
And to fluffy... who made you the arbiter... if people want to share their commiserations then it’s their prerogative.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”