One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guenon wrote:(I'm assuming this thing obviously remembers the initially random generated patches persistently within the project, otherwise it's TOO random for the challenge xD )
If not, it would be a great exercise in committing 'to tape'. Of course, being allowed to then edit the audio would be ideal :tu:

pilotredsun wrote:You know what would make for a chaotic and fun OSC? The Element of Surprise http://www.kvraudio.com/product/the-ele ... go/details . It'll force people to make songs out of sounds they didn't know were usable, as sound design with Element of Surprise is like playing a slot machine.
Sort of defeats at least half the purpose (spirit?) of what OSC's all about, IMO. :neutral:

progtronic wrote:Sort of defeats at least half the purpose (spirit?) of what OSC's all about, IMO. :neutral:
A very big part of getting a nice sounding whole in an OSC tune is about recognizing how timbres can be usable, and which sorts of sounds work for which purposes, contexts, layers, and so on, mixing it all in a workable manner in the end. This is actually more in tune with OSC than one might think, at first :). Of course this would also be "just" a novelty thing, not at all about synthesizing a sound from the ground up, and 32-bit only / Win only at that, so it's understandable if there isn't enough OSC momentum for such a curiosity. Disregarding the limited plugin format, personally I think it's a fun idea. (Edit: and I can imagine the humorous discussions ensuing from the use of this, haha. "I kept hitting the button the whole evening and I still don't have anything resembling a snare, urghh." :D )

Guenon wrote:
progtronic wrote:Sort of defeats at least half the purpose (spirit?) of what OSC's all about, IMO. :neutral:
A very big part of getting a nice sounding whole in an OSC tune is about recognizing how timbres can be usable, and which sorts of sounds work for which purposes, contexts, layers, and so on, mixing it all in a workable manner in the end. This is actually more in tune with OSC than one might think, at first :). Of course this would also be "just" a novelty thing, not at all about synthesizing a sound from the ground up, and 32-bit only / Win only at that, so it's understandable if there isn't enough OSC momentum for such a curiosity. Disregarding the limited plugin format, personally I think it's a fun idea. (Edit: and I can imagine the humorous discussions ensuing from the use of this, haha. "I kept hitting the button the whole evening and I still don't have anything resembling a snare, urghh." :D )
Yeah.

(One week later)

"Argggghhhh...Still looking for a snare sound!!!!"

Haha exactly :D

Double or nothing, papa needs a new pair of shoes, here we gooo, come onnnn snare snare snare..

*Pfufffbleewmp*

Awwhh dangggg.

this one might be worth a look

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=502672

generaldiomedes wrote:this one might be worth a look

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=502672
Probably a much better candidate, to be honest. I noticed the "Element of Surprise" synth, although a fun idea, is made with an old Synthedit version, over a decade ago, and I think there's a load of problems with those, especially in modern hosts and when using multiple instances of the same synth, as I recall. So it might not be an option for OSC levels of (ab)use, hmmh.

Synth edit .. yikes. If it is 32 bit and windows only that leaves out a lot of folks.

Bringing from OSC#111 thread.
TheNeverScene wrote:Where can I DL a virtual screwdriver and a virtual quantum physics degree? Gonna need both to even think about VCV :-o

It will be interesting to see how vst gets implemented in the future.
It is not too tricky to set up in Reaper.
The following may not be the most efficient/best way but it seems to work barring a few little issues.
Need a virtual midi cable of some sort. I have had good luck with loopMIDI https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
Don't recall how many virtual ports can be created but so far 8 are working ok for me.
Then in Reaper those created ports need to be enabled as hardware outputs and I suggest adding midi clock to one of them to keep VCV insync with Reaper.
When adding the VCV bridge to a Reaper track it will ask if you want the 8 mono out tracks created which is quite helpful. Though on my system it puts that dialogue behind the FX brower and doesn't close the browser so the dialogue is visible. :x
I changed the track layout for the track with the bridge and took the track and the 8 tracks created from above and tucked them into a folder.
That I consider the input section.
Then the orange section I consider the output section, where I can put midi items to send out to VCV via hardware output using the LoopMIDI virtual cable. Each track named to match the instance of LoopMIDI being used.
Then in VCV rack from the core section I added 8 midi ins and assigned each its own LoopMIDI input. The numbers confused me until I realized the second set of numbers just are a count of the ports. So while it looks like I am selecting LoopMIDI Port 6 (which gets midi from Reaper project track 18 above) I am actually selecting LoopMIDI Port (which gets midi from track 12). :wheee:
Then from core an audio out was added, set to bridge and port one. I am assuming that adding another bridge track in Reaper and setting the port to 2 will allow using an additional audio out in VCV set to port two as well to get 16 mono channels of audio back to Reaper but I have not yet gotten that far without needing to start over in VCV . :oops:
Then recording if needed (though I've not tried yet it seems like one could just render like a normal OSC submission) I have changed the tracks to record output instead of input and mono or stereo depending on what effects I added to the track.
Only issues I have is that when looping a midi item in Reaper at the end of the loop it seems the audio buffers go all wonky and it often crackles/pops. But that is only at the end of the loops so I am making long loops so don't hear the annoying noise as often. :ud:
And the recorded audio is not quite on the grid. It seems very consistently off so probably some Reaper setting could be changed to get it to align correctly. But I am so far ignoring the offset since it seems equal for all tracks.
All in all much simpler than using something like Dexed IMO. :lol:
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Hello everybody !

Sorry if it has already been replied, but... where is the tracklist of the songs on the Google page of the challenges since Thorn ?

Until Zebralette (OSC104 and down) there was the tracklist just below the Prizes section.

And since Thorn (OSC105 and up) I can't see it any more.

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:Hello everybody !

Sorry if it has already been replied, but... where is the tracklist of the songs on the Google page of the challenges since Thorn ?

Until Zebralette (OSC104 and down) there was the tracklist just below the Prizes section.

Could be a it was considered redundant since the tracks are all in playlists on SC. :shrug:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Frostline wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:Hello everybody !

Could be a it was considered redundant since the tracks are all in playlists on SC. :shrug:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets
Ah... Good news for those who don't know! Because it isn't written anywhere in the Google pages of the most recent challenges (since OSC105). No link at all sending to the dedicated pages on Soundcloud! The visitor who comes on an OSC Google page since the OSC105 doesn't have the least information telling him where are the songs.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

generaldiomedes wrote:Synth edit .. yikes. If it is 32 bit and windows only that leaves out a lot of folks.
:lol: You can simply install a daw in 32 bit, if you're unfortunately not running one that automatically bridges plugins or have a 3rd party bridge such as Jbridge for Live. I recommend creating lots of backup project files in the latter circumstance.
I think it's a great move for Live to go 64 exclusively because if you can afford Live, you have a good computer. :hihi: They know their target demographic.

I enjoyed this track which used only a radioshack moog realistic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwqoP8bXJG0
and this which happens to essentially use only monophonic, analog sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA3XKSj_BVI
it's refreshing to see people who do it just for the love of it... :love:
quick, _ake what you want in life

Hello you bunch of OSC ERS, :D

> KX77FREE :SE PolyMod KX

http://kx77free.free.fr
I think its synthedit, but it comes in almost all flavours :)
Never seen it used b4
Just an idea?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Instruments”