OhmStudio
0%
Caustic
0%

Total votes: 1069

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excellent points made.

Reading these comments above, I don't understand how people change DAWs so easily/frequently. I can't visualize abandong all the projects I've have in one DAW or doing yet another project conversion task. I think that's a consequence of never finishing anything enough to try publishing it formally, and then archiving the multitracks and moving on from those projects permanently.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Excellent points made.

Reading these comments above, I don't understand how people change DAWs so easily/frequently. I can't visualize abandong all the projects I've have in one DAW or doing yet another project conversion task. I think that's a consequence of never finishing anything enough to try publishing it formally, and then archiving the multitracks and moving on from those projects permanently.
Just cause you start using a different DAW does not mean you have to get rid of the previous one. You can keep it for opening old projects.

There is the possibility of using several DAWs at once. There are workflows in multiple DAWs that that may each be useful for an artist, for different phases of their projects.

From a broad stroke viewpoint, say you are composing your project using loop based audio clips, or MIDI clips. For example, Live?

Then you want to bounce down and arrange the audio tracks in a linear DAW. You can do this in Live, but ... there are a few other good options here.

Finally you may want to mix and master the project. Maybe more diverse options here?

Just using one DAW appears to be most productive for pro studios, where time is money. But for everyone else, creativity is the priority, wherever you may find it!

Maybe time for a new poll, as this one is very old!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
Just using one DAW appears to be most productive for pro studios, where time is money. But for everyone else, creativity is the priority, wherever you may find it!
I agree! Besides, there are reasons other than creativity to switch from DAW to DAW (although my last choice was for creativity!).
I switched in some cases because of the 'poor' performance or bugs or bad support (or attitude from a support team).

Anyway, I don't see it that big problem really! As I depend not on projects but on Midi/Audio files for the various tracks. But to be honest, I rarely go back to a project that I already mixed down to one audio file! Yes, I have tons of unfinished projects, but in the end I 'clean' my music works and delete all that not convincing (even the finished projects). So, it depends on what are you and you believe the best for you!

I mean, even with human relations, we are changing our friends and partners! So, I don't see it strange to change a DAW from time to time! :hihi:

Maybe time for a new poll, as this one is very old!
+1
It is better to make it sticky and ability to change our votes, so it stays current. Oh and the ability to modify the list, so adding 'new' DAWs is possible :)

Pogue bidule all the way! Haven't used fl studio in years. Still have audiomulch 2 installed, but haven't been using it much, either.

fabi wrote:Pogue bidule
what are DAWs? I'll take crazy words that I never thought would make perfect sense for 400 Alex :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
what are DAWs? I'll take crazy words that I never thought would make perfect sense for 400 Alex :hihi:
meant to say plogue bidule, of course. though i'm not even quite sure if it counts as a DAW...
and hi hink, long time no 'see'. ;)
am married and got a lil one now. :) :hyper:

At the same time, having tons of UNFINISHED projects is a sign of procrastination. Get that shit out the door...

On another note, the reason I think Reaper is doing so well, is that once you've used a number of different DAW's and know what you want in one, and wished for feature X, Y, Z, you realize that Reaper is the DAW where you can most likely pull it off. A beginners DAW? No way, you need training wheels till you learn to ride.
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

fabi wrote:
Hink wrote:
meant to say plogue bidule, of course. though i'm not even quite sure if it counts as a DAW...
and hi hink, long time no 'see'. ;)
am married and got a lil one now. :) :hyper:
Congrats thats awesome, hope you stick around and keep making music :tu: I saw your name and thought "whoa, flash from the past" :D
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

A much bigger sample ...

Top 12 Most Popular DAWs
https://ask.audio/articles/top-12-most- ... -voted-for
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:A much bigger sample ...

Top 12 Most Popular DAWs
https://ask.audio/articles/top-12-most- ... -voted-for
See fmr's post on page 51 that resurrected this thread!

InLight-Tone wrote:
At the same time, having tons of UNFINISHED projects is a sign of procrastination. Get that shit out the door...
That's true mostly! :oops: I need to be more serious with my music and be more productive :smack:

EnGee wrote:
InLight-Tone wrote:
That's true mostly! :oops: I need to be more serious with my music and be more productive :smack:
Same here... I guess. Thing is:

1. Music doesn't pay. My priority is to change my life situation. Music isn't going to do that for me.
2. I'm not remotely entrepreneurial, and
3. I hate self-promotion.

Put all that together and I have no motivation to work harder at making music. Relying on my [mostly extinguished] artistic drives for my hobbies is all I have.

Still, my projects matter a great deal to me. So I keep re-visiting them. That's why I've converted everything from the PC/Sonar setup I was on years ago.

If my music mattered to other people too, maybe I would try to publish them in some way other than SoundCloud (which does me no good at all). But I don't have any interest in the streaming services, which pay shit anyway. I want to publish as I myself buy music: a nice CD package. I really like the visual and tactile aspects of holding a piece of music as art in my hands and placing it on my shelf. I don't understand why vinyl is a big thing again. Put the CD in a nice package, scale it up like vinyl, if the REAL complaint is that CDs have tiny art (CD is a nice size for collections and the art is bigger than tape FFS, which is also seemingly making some kind of demented comeback).

Blah blah blah...

This is why I don't get how people change platforms and DAWs so easily. I guess most people make stuff, upload it to the internet, and forget about it (and I presume make more stuff).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I use the single DAW for reasons; the other one which does something utterly crucial for me is Windows-only.

This has... not a lot to do with 'productivity' except that without it I would not be in the piano roll (and only really got busy in it following the innovation in Cubase SX2) so I'll have made less. I don't do unfinished. I have abandoned a couple of things. Rare, quite rare for me.

There are 50-some tracks I cannot fix except to deal with 'em in a mastering setup and there're no worries there, since my ex-landlord stole and sold my Mac Pro with those projects on drives in it. No, he didn't just toss a big expensive-looking item, he's in it for the money.

pdxindy wrote:

Just cause you start using a different DAW does not mean you have to get rid of the previous one. You can keep it for opening old projects.
Oh I keep it, but they are all "in progress" projects, so I wanted them on the machine I want to be using, rather than continuing to work with them on the machine and DAW I hate working with. The songs I've posted to SoundCloud are as finished as I seem to get, but they're still not things I want to archive and forget about. I'd like all of my work to eventually be in album format, published properly, which, to be painfully honest, is a pipe dream.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”