the.synthetic.awakening - Another Dungeon - Now with vocals (newly updated)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is my newest track. It is an instrumental mix. I will record vocals at a later time. I have no idea what genre this really is nor do I care. If you like it let me know if you hate it tell me why... or you don't have to reply at all.

Enjoy :D :phones:

Here is the newest version with vocals

https://soundcloud.com/the_synthetic_aw ... -dungeon-1
Last edited by smd12 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

I updated the mix if anyone cares :D

I like it a lot. Nice style and mood to it. I expected a dungeon synth track though. :wink:

I'm by no means any expert in mixing, but I miss a bit more low-end, maybe lower mid too(?), punch on those bass drums. Just listening in some Bose cans at work though, so maybe it's on my end...

Listening to this on my surface pro 4 speakers so not the greatest listening environment, but I agree with gaf-thit the bottom end lacks weight. That aside track works very nicely and progresses well.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

gaf thit & biodiode thank you for the feedback. I went back and listened and in SD3 I had part of the kick's fader too low and i rolled off too much to make room for the bass. I adjusted it and I will upload the new mix tonight.

Thanks again :tu: :D

I updated the mix, gave the kick more balls and brought up the bass

https://soundcloud.com/the_synthetic_aw ... tal-mix-v4

Yep, that did the trick. Listening in better headphones this time. I could think of some more tweaks, but not sure. There is some high treble parts that comes and goes quite abruptly. Couldn't pinpoint what it was, if it's highhat or some fx. My head is too far gone after a hectic workday, no energy left. Maybe I'll relisten later.
Anyway, I really like the track. Great work

gaf_thit wrote:Yep, that did the trick. Listening in better headphones this time. I could think of some more tweaks, but not sure. There is some high treble parts that comes and goes quite abruptly. Couldn't pinpoint what it was, if it's highhat or some fx. My head is too far gone after a hectic workday, no energy left. Maybe I'll relisten later.
Anyway, I really like the track. Great work
Thanks again for your feedback :)

I updated the mix again I wasn't happy wit the snare, I will add vocals and then continue to finish the EP.

The high treble parts are synths effects, they come and go throughout the track. They are there for an eerie feeling trapped in a dungeon and wanting to escape :D

The metel! :love:

Sounding good. Did notice that (to me anyway) the level of the guitars seemed to drop just slightly (it's not a huge drop but there did seem to be a little loss of impact) when the kick drum rolls come in - perhaps ease off on the master bus compression, or adjust the release?

The vocal is well recorded, but doesn't quite sit right for me. I think it's just a touch too forward/loud at the moment in comparison with the rest of the track - like all of us you've probably struggled to get this right with your own vocals. I'd also think about doubling up the main clean vocal in parts with a lofi distorted version to add some real grit and aggression to match the track.

Nice work so far!

Thanks for the feedback :tu:

I can't hear the drop in guitar, maybe my ears aren't that good :D . I did make some of the adjustments you suggested.

here is the newest mix

https://soundcloud.com/the_synthetic_aw ... er-dungeon

Is that hihat in the intro around 1:00 late in timing, or that just me? To me, it sounds like the initial hit and attack is where the sustained part should be, i.e. the splash of the cymbal itself, not the tak of wood on metal.

Maybe them everything forward by a few milliseconds for the intro is worth trying?

Around 5:13, the decayed vocals on my left speaker sounds more like someone swilling mouthwash in their mouth than vocals. Not sure what's up there.

sjm wrote:Is that hihat in the intro around 1:00 late in timing, or that just me? To me, it sounds like the initial hit and attack is where the sustained part should be, i.e. the splash of the cymbal itself, not the tak of wood on metal.

Maybe them everything forward by a few milliseconds for the intro is worth trying?

Around 5:13, the decayed vocals on my left speaker sounds more like someone swilling mouthwash in their mouth than vocals. Not sure what's up there.
It isn't you...it was me trying to humanize it. Unfortunately, the human i was trying to emulate had bad timing :D I moved everything forward.

I got rid of the mouthwash...no need to have minty fresh breath while singing about a dungeon :D

Thanks for the feedback :tu:

Newest mix can be found here

https://soundcloud.com/the_synthetic_aw ... er-dungeon

I forgot to mention that I liked the song. Will give the new version a listen later when I'm home.

Did you hear the mouthwash thing then?

sjm wrote:I forgot to mention that I liked the song. Will give the new version a listen later when I'm home.

Did you hear the mouthwash thing then?
I think I did if it was at 5:13. When I sang "you live" there was a pop, then the delay jacked it up. But if it was more around 5:09 I fumble on the vocals "drift" and I need to rerecord that.

Return to “Music Cafe”