U-he Hardware - CVilization Eurorack Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: The idea of this rack is that there are 4 voices: Three osc/filter based synths on top left plus Elements in the middle row. These will be controlled by the Xaoc Sequencers on the bottom, running through CVilization. In latter I can swap the sequences for each voice, transpose them, mix them, change the range of the sequences, mute them, sample & hold them and also change scales and all. It's going to be the central element of the performance.
After this description, I think I got more or less the idea of what CVilization will do :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Urs wrote:
vurt wrote:nice rack! :oops:

It's a bit on the safe side. Nothing overly fancy, very clean design. No computers, no hidden settings. The signal path is almost built into the layout.

Marbles, Grids, Branches and Tides are new to me, so I'll take the opportunity to check them out. Might swap one of my fav modules back in, Euclidean Circles, also maybe Tempi.

The idea of this rack is that there are 4 voices: Three osc/filter based synths on top left plus Elements in the middle row. These will be controlled by the Xaoc Sequencers on the bottom, running through CVilization. In latter I can swap the sequences for each voice, transpose them, mix them, change the range of the sequences, mute them, sample & hold them and also change scales and all. It's going to be the central element of the performance.

The other Mutables are supposed to work as clocks and drivers for some drums and noises, which hopefully do a couple of interesting bits. Part of the performance will be controlling the density and randomness of the rhythm.

All mixing and effects are done on the right hand side, including a bit of live mixing of what's going out to the audience.

wish i could be there, sounds like a fun show.
look forward to the video 8)

(and my module :hihi: )

fmr wrote:After this description, I think I got more or less the idea of what CVilization will do :wink:
You'll see... I currently have this rack built with the ADDAC Intuitive Quantizer instead of CVilization, since we're short of prototypes. To achive the functionality built into CViliztaion, I need to use additional attenuverters (e.g. from Maths), VCAs, Multiples (e.g. Links) and/or Mixers (Levit8), and I'm not even close since I don't have enough of these in this setup. When used as an oscillator controller, CVilization easily packs half a row of modules into one 10 HP *and* offers live performance features which are hard to get out of another combination. Argos Bleak is close, but promotes chord progressions more so than independent melody lines.

I'm hoping to get a second prototype in time, because the effects routing in this rack isn't good. I'll then use CVilization as a 4 in 2-1-1 audio mixer (24bit/96kHz, +/- 10V) with a stereo out and two mono fx sends.

Alternatively I could use a second CVz as dual ADSR or maybe even a quad LFO/AD-Env, but those modes won't be finished in time. The sequential switch mode hopefully will, but I'm happy to feature at least one Moskwa and Tirana during the show.

Marbles is fantastic -- I think you'll love it.

Teletype has really made me happy for sequencing, especially gates. It's more outside the "safe" zone for sure, and I dismissed it as a silly concept when I first saw it. But I've been using it for Euclidean/probability/clock division/multiplication/gate delays/swing, and algorithmic/pattern-based CV sequencing, and (slightly trickier) quantization. It makes a good companion for Marbles.

Price estimate for this little beauty? (Sorry if this has already been asked/answered)

foosnark wrote:Marbles is fantastic -- I think you'll love it.
I do. I might still throw one out of Marbles/Branches/Grids out. Grids might stay because it's a great master clock and it "just works". Marbles does Branches, but it's also a lot of HP and overlap with Grids and Batumi (stepped random sources), and I do not need quantization.
Teletype has really made me happy for sequencing, especially gates. It's more outside the "safe" zone for sure, and I dismissed it as a silly concept when I first saw it. But I've been using it for Euclidean/probability/clock division/multiplication/gate delays/swing, and algorithmic/pattern-based CV sequencing, and (slightly trickier) quantization. It makes a good companion for Marbles.
I'll check it out one day.

Russell Grand wrote:Price estimate for this little beauty? (Sorry if this has already been asked/answered)
My estimate: 200$ < CVilization price < 300$

We'll try to bring it as close to 200 as possible. We'll sum things up once we have hard numbers for the first production run.

so, have you been having fun with two of these puppies in the rack?
everything going as planned?
look forward to hearing it in action, here in my room :lol:
don't even mind getting a used prototype after superbooth ;) :hihi:

vurt wrote:so, have you been having fun with two of these puppies in the rack?
everything going as planned?
look forward to hearing it in action, here in my room :lol:
don't even mind getting a used prototype after superbooth ;) :hihi:
Hehehe, loads of little issues here and there. Yesterday the day got totally trashed by a firmware bug which prevented me from using S&H on more than one channel. But today I'll have glide to try - yay!

Both prototypes reside in their own housing. One has got +5V soldered onto it, the other one gets too hot (because it hasn't +5V attached). So they'll be outside the racks. Legitimately adds to the Superbooth geek character.

As with everything, it'll take some time to finish this.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sounds interesting now theres meat on the bones 8)

one question though, how the hell do you look the same age, if not younger than when we met, whereas i look like gandalf?

do you have an old picture in your attic?

ok, that's two questions :hihi:

I got a pimple on my left cheek atm. Gives me that aura of a late puberty.

Got a bit confused because I couldn't hear what Nick said. Showed output side mixing twice (no input side mixing) and called a sequential switch a "sequential step"... d'oh

easy to get confused with all that going on around you, trade shows can be a little noisey :hihi:

look forward to more performance than chatting videos (hopefully :tu:)

vurt wrote:easy to get confused with all that going on around you, trade shows can be a little noisey :hihi:

look forward to more performance than chatting videos (hopefully :tu:)
Hope to get a video with proper sound from this. Monitoring was very boomy, but apparently it sounded quite alright on the other side.
Urs Live Sml.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sweet! wish i could have popped over to say hi, maybe next year :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”