So, what DAW did it for you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't have processes to even kill here, OS 10.12.6. Whether that's true for Windows OS has no moment in my life at all. It wasn't the point. As written, it clearly wasn't the point. See if you can read something first? Nah, I don't suppose that would suit you. Why would you want to stick with points {or respect}?

BONES wrote:Why would I care? If other people want to be stupid, it doesn't matter to me in the slightest but, at the same time, I'm not going to have any respect for them, either.
This really is all we need from you. With this, you [repeatedly] present your casual disdain for people on the basis of the most shallow of issues. You're not pointing out observations or stating facts; you're positioning your arrogant opinion as authority.

BONES wrote:Oh, so if someone publishes something, then it becomes fact but until that time, all the data itself is bullshit? Interesting perspective.
You're not supplying data. You don't have data to supply. You're judging who is worthy of your respect and who is not worthy, based on your own anecdotal experiences that you are characterizing as data.

Data is meaningless until analyzed. Once analyzed, it needs to be presented for peer review. Performing actual studies requires pursuit of the elimination of the very biases you are brazenly demonstrating being blinded by. And yes, such control of bias is expected for publishing. Publishing studies and their observations in well-regarded scientific journals is one way a society tries to ensure the rigors of the scientific method have been followed by the people promoting ideas with their studies.
BONES wrote:I really liked how Vista looked,
Holy crap, something I agree with you on...
BONES wrote:way better than OS X ...
... oh never mind.

Are you happy that Apple is embracing the flat design fad that Microsoft and Droid first promoted?

Actually, don't answer that. I don't want this to continue to be about surface features, because there are far more important issues when discussing the merits and deficits of Windows and Mac OS.
BONES wrote:You see, there's an essential difference between Mac and PC - if there is some aspect of your PC that you don't like, you can change it.
I don't like essential architectural design choices of Windows. I can't change that because I'm not Microsoft. As Linux was not an option for me (for many of the same reasons, plus lack of software to suit my needs), and as PC hardware component compatibility is akin to voodoo, I abandoned PCs.
BONES wrote:Yes, if you left Win8 to it's own devices it would end up looking like an iPhone home screen, which looks like a Fisher Price toy, but if you wanted to you could customise the hell out of it and in a few minutes have it looking exactly the way you wanted it to.
I see a problem here. You are focusing on the whole surface features point jancivil brought up. IMO: however ugly Windows is or was is immaterial to the real problems. Problems that users can do nothing about (and Microsoft has no motivation to do anything about). That's why I abandoned Windows after decades of using it.

Yes, I customized Windows to suit my needs, at one time. What this revealed was that the customization was not tested by Microsoft and many bugs are revealed when taking advantage of said features. No company was eager (and often was utterly unwilling) to support products that were not in their factory default configuration. It made a clear and compelling case for NOT customizing.
BONES wrote:OTOH, if you don't like the way macOS looks, stiff, you have no other choice, but it seems to me that most Apple users actually see choice as a bad thing, as though they are afraid to be left to make their own decisions. Strange but true.
Congratulations on yet again arrogantly demeaning an entire population of people, condemning their personalities/character, by equivocating in a most grotesque manner, on a subject in which you demonstrate ignorance.

I would attempt to inform you of why limited customization actually reduces complexity (complexity being the primary opponent of reliability), how it increases productivity and reliability, etc. and so forth -which there is plenty of research to make compelling points about- but you have repeatedly demonstrated being unwilling to learn (or incapable of learning) from others. I'd just waste more of my time linguistically combating the confident ignorance of a stranger on the internet who increasingly appears to have a fractally-wrong world view.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

BONES wrote:OTOH, if you don't like the way macOS looks, stiff, you have no other choice, but it seems to me that most Apple users actually see choice as a bad thing, as though they are afraid to be left to make their own decisions. Strange but true.
It's not strange at all. I have no interest in computers. I want to spend the least amount of time thinking about or focused on the tool. The looks of MacOS is fine for me. I've never spent even 30 seconds thinking about and/or wishing it somehow looked different. It effectively serves its purpose.

I'm very appreciative of my Macbook Pro. I go months at a time without turning it off. Sometimes I work long hours doing a wide variety of tasks... from web design, to photo editing, video, book design and writing. It never has any problem, is fast and efficient, and I spend no time thinking about the computer and all my time on the creative tasks I wish to complete. It easily paid for itself within a few months of purchasing it. Everything since then is gravy.

Over the past 4 years I've worked in various offices and studios. I've worked and collaborated with approximately 25 other professionals. Maybe 15 of them had Mac laptops, and 10 had Windows laptops. Everyone was productive.

It seems like you are the one who sees choice as a bad thing.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
BONES wrote:Oh, so if someone publishes something, then it becomes fact but until that time, all the data itself is bullshit? Interesting perspective.
You're not supplying data. You don't have data to supply. You're judging who is worthy of your respect and who is not worthy, based on your own anecdotal experiences that you are characterizing as data.

Data is meaningless until analyzed. Once analyzed, it needs to be presented for peer review. Performing actual studies requires pursuit of the elimination of the very biases you are brazenly demonstrating being blinded by. And yes, such control of bias is expected for publishing.
Oh yeah, I neglected that bit. It is expected for respectable publishing. But assholes do publish shit which is not in any resemblance to the rigors expected there. Climate Change denialists, for one.

Jace-BeOS wrote:I customized Windows to suit my needs, at one time. What this revealed was that the customization was not tested by Microsoft and many bugs are revealed when taking advantage of said features. No company was eager (and often was utterly unwilling) to support products that were not in their factory default configuration. It made a clear and compelling case for NOT customizing.
Well, what I did was not out of knowledge of anything really, I took the usual, frequently published (on-line) Windows Tweaks for DAW Users pages at their word and did them. Turned off many background services. And I'd bet that this meant many problems going forward so I think I recognize what you are saying,

And then, again this was early 2006 at the latest, I started using Cubase on my Magnavox-CPU Power PC. Same power pretty much as my P4 Windows box. And I read up online on teh tweaks, which all worked smoothly (not my experience with the other box, not at all; as they did not tweak interconnecting components of the OS, Services and Registry major tweaks as in my MS experience), and which the major one was 'Process Wizard', a simple-to-use daemon up in the toolbar rather than all of what I was going through. The others were like, Monolingual which is still widely used and really more free up space tweaks. So when something works better for me, and it's just me, I have to come down on the side of 'this was not a stupid decision'. It was informed well enough for me, not a computer nerd at all.

jancivil wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I customized Windows to suit my needs, at one time. What this revealed was that the customization was not tested by Microsoft and many bugs are revealed when taking advantage of said features. No company was eager (and often was utterly unwilling) to support products that were not in their factory default configuration. It made a clear and compelling case for NOT customizing.
Well, what I did was not out of knowledge of anything really, I took the usual, frequently published (on-line) Windows Tweaks for DAW Users pages at their word and did them. Turned off many background services. And I'd bet that this meant many problems going forward so I think I recognize what you are saying,

And then, again this was early 2006 at the latest, I started using Cubase on my Magnavox-CPU Power PC. Same power pretty much as my P4 Windows box. And I read up online on teh tweaks, which all worked smoothly (not my experience with the other box, not at all; as they did not tweak interconnecting components of the OS, Services and Registry major tweaks as in my MS experience), and which the major one was 'Process Wizard', a simple-to-use daemon up in the toolbar rather than all of what I was going through. The others were like, Monolingual which is still widely used and really more free up space tweaks. So when something works better for me, and it's just me, I have to come down on the side of 'this was not a stupid decision'. It was informed well enough for me, not a computer nerd at all.
I use Monolingual too. It's about the only tweak I make to my Mac OS installations. I'm far less forced to be a computer nerd on Mac OS, but it does happen sometimes. It just ends up being more straight-forward to me than what I have struggled with on Windows. Sometimes it is asinine though.

Just recently I trashed one of my two remaining PC workstations...

[and here I cut out tons of text. The details are irrelevant].

Suffice to say I found no solution. On forums, when other people asked for help with the same issue, i witnessed a lot of jackass "MS Systems Certified" nerds blaming the victim, spewing copy/paste diagnostic procedures at people (irrelevant, if they'd read the original post seeking help where it indicated having done all those steps already), and little else.

Ultimately, I discovered commentary about this model Dell that suggested the PSU as the problem, but that basically requires computers to be non-deterministic machines, as a Linux volume boots fine on the same machine.

I just have no patience for this shit. I removed the reusable parts and the rest of it waits by the back door for e-waste recycling.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:This really is all we need from you. With this, you [repeatedly] present your casual disdain for people on the basis of the most shallow of issues.
And your point is what, exactly? I understand perfectly what I am doing, although I would challenge the shallowness of the issues, especially given the energy and emotion of your responses.
You're not supplying data.
No, I was replying to a point made in another post. You need to read things in context, lest you make yourself appear stupid.
You're judging who is worthy of your respect and who is not worthy, based on your own anecdotal experiences that you are characterizing as data.
I think you're conflating unrelated comments, or at the very least concentrating on the wrong things. We're talking about DAWs here, try to focus.
Data is meaningless until analyzed. Once analyzed, it needs to be presented for peer review.
Only if you're a scientist or a uni student. Normal people can manage with a bit of reading a a dose of commonsense.
[/quote]Are you happy that Apple is embracing the flat design fad that Microsoft and Droid first promoted?[/quote]
I would if they'd done it well but it is horrid.
I don't like essential architectural design choices of Windows.
Why would anyone care what you "like"? What matters is whether or not it works. I can't think of a company I dislike more than Microsoft but I never let that cloud my judgement when it comes to making important decisions. You have to remain objective to ensure the best outcomes, so what you do or do not "like" should never come into it.
Problems that users can do nothing about (and Microsoft has no motivation to do anything about).
And that you can't seem to list or even mention.
Yes, I customized Windows to suit my needs, at one time.
What? Why not just use the in-built customisation and do the whole OS at once?
What this revealed was that the customization was not tested by Microsoft and many bugs are revealed when taking advantage of said features.
Really? Can you give us a single example? because I've been doing it since Windows 98 and never encountered a bug that stopped me from doing exactly what I wanted - colours, fonts, everything was customisable and it mostly worked brilliantly, except that some fonts looked absolutely terrible in a title bar or in Start.
No company was eager (and often was utterly unwilling) to support products that were not in their factory default configuration. It made a clear and compelling case for NOT customizing.
Again, really? because products like Autodesk Combustion were using completely customised UIs 20 years ago. Interestingly I had some problems with OS X not rendering Combustion's UI properly but it always worked on PC.
Congratulations on yet again arrogantly demeaning an entire population of people, condemning their personalities/character, by equivocating in a most grotesque manner, on a subject in which you demonstrate ignorance.
You demean yourselves, I'm just letting you know how it looks from outside. And again, I'll remind you that i spend 8 hours a day, five days a week using macOS. Sure, I can change the highlight from blue to orange and I can make my top toolbar black but that's about it. I could also invert the screen colours, of course, but that's not very handy for a graphic artist.
I would attempt to inform you of why limited customization actually reduces complexity (complexity being the primary opponent of reliability)
If that was relevant, macOS would be more reliable than Windows but it is not, nor has it ever been in my experience.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”