Examigan
KVRAF

4386 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret three purchases: two of which are VSTs

Camel Audio - Alchemy
Korg - Digital collection
Minleon - Light Show Pro

ALCHEMY -- I didn't buy it immediately, due to a bad experience with another maker. After ensuring the company wasn't going anywhere and there was plenty of support for the synth and playing with the free one, I purchased the full monty version of Alchemy. I was saving up for a couple of months for some sound libraries, and then *POOF*, Camel Audio and all the libraries I wanted to buy were no more. Loss = 350$

It still works ok on my PC, even though the company isn’t around anymore.
dandezebra
KVRian

544 posts since 21 Dec, 2013, from USA

Postby dandezebra; Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Examigan wrote:
Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret three purchases: two of which are VSTs

Camel Audio - Alchemy
Korg - Digital collection
Minleon - Light Show Pro

ALCHEMY -- I didn't buy it immediately, due to a bad experience with another maker. After ensuring the company wasn't going anywhere and there was plenty of support for the synth and playing with the free one, I purchased the full monty version of Alchemy. I was saving up for a couple of months for some sound libraries, and then *POOF*, Camel Audio and all the libraries I wanted to buy were no more. Loss = 350$

Flawlessly for me too... I'm not happy about it but it does still work.
Bump1
KVRist

239 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Postby Bump1; Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Hardware:

MS-20: the filter is one of my favorite, really. And it's easy to program until you get to the patch panel. I never invested myself into the patch panel so I felt I was losing half the value of the synth....and truth be told, without the patch panel it's a very rudimentary monosynth. Which was another thing, I'd have liked it much better had it been paraphonic.

Any Eurorack/Modular: dabbled with it, learned fast that it wasn't for me.

Organelle: gimmicky bullshit...software in a price gouging, boutique enclosure.

Software:

Samplemoog: before I knew how to program a synth...even then I thought it was just OK. I hated it after I learned how to program.

QuadraSID: sounded good, but it took a lot of work to coax authentic sounding SID leads and basses from it. Ugly GUI, PITA to program

Serum: idk why I bought it....it's powerful and it's flexible...but I don't really LOVE the filters and one thing I hate about it is it sounds TOO big...TOO fat

I always prefer a synth that I need to add FX too rather than fight it and whittle it down to sit right in the context of my mix.
Bump1
KVRist

239 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Postby Bump1; Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Double post
Last edited by Bump1 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnX
KVRAF

2680 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

The original hardware bass station. Took it back and got a refund. Piece of crap.
evilantal
KVRian

769 posts since 13 Mar, 2008, from Arnhem, Netherlands

Postby evilantal; Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Scotty wrote:I only use the 32bit version of Imposcar but I wrapped it in jbridge and it is solid and stable. They released a 2.0 upgrade for it but the features and cost didn't translate into making it worthwhile for me. jbridge on version 1 is doing the trick.

thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.

There's a trick to it though.
I use it with jbridge in Reaper as well. But I needed to change some settings in jbridge for it to produce sound and not crash my DAW.
Can't remember exactly what settings I changed. I think it might be "performance mode"
Demo work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com
Music for media: http://www.myendlessy.com
chk071
KVRAF

15530 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 am Re: Synths you regret buying

AnX wrote:The original hardware bass station. Took it back and got a refund. Piece of crap.

:hihi:

Read that a lot, TBH. :)
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22207 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:00 am Re: Synths you regret buying

mgw38 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.

Works fine here in 64bit Ableton.

I presume you're using a bridge(?) ... the standalone version crashes as soon as I launch it.
hellomrbike
KVRist

33 posts since 16 Aug, 2016

Postby hellomrbike; Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Bump1 wrote:Hardware:

Samplemoog: before I knew how to program a synth...even then I thought it was just OK. I hated it after I learned how to program.

Yeah, I got SampleMoog in the big group sale IK did a few years back, but I've basically never used it for that reason. That's why I'm not too sweet on IK's Syntronik, either. Sure, there's more neat tricks like modelled filters, but it's basically still a glorified sample player (and an absurdly large one at that – it's what, over 100 GB of samples).

Like, what's the point of multi-sampling the oscillators of a Yamaha CS-80? Basically its entire legendary status revolves around how it's played by Vangelis et al., and very little around its actual sonic palette. Personally, I don't understand the appeal.
zzz00m
KVRian

889 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:15 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

hellomrbike wrote:
Like, what's the point of multi-sampling the oscillators of a Yamaha CS-80? Basically its entire legendary status revolves around how it's played by Vangelis et al., and very little around its actual sonic palette. Personally, I don't understand the appeal.

I dunno, maybe because it hands you a very playable instrument that sounds like a CS-80, with a great set of effects and the ability to create multis with layers and splits of up to four instruments.
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
Shockwave77598
KVRer

15 posts since 15 Mar, 2018

Postby Shockwave77598; Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Examigan wrote:
Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret
ALCHEMY --

You are still running on your same computer you put it in when you bought it, I suppose. When that machine dies or you try to reinstall on a new machine... Can't check a "legal license" server for installation back in Camel Audio land when Camel Audio land sank into the corporate sea.
evilantal
KVRian

769 posts since 13 Mar, 2008, from Arnhem, Netherlands

Postby evilantal; Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:58 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Shockwave77598 wrote:
Examigan wrote:
Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret
ALCHEMY --

You are still running on your same computer you put it in when you bought it, I suppose. When that machine dies or you try to reinstall on a new machine... Can't check a "legal license" server for installation back in Camel Audio land when Camel Audio land sank into the corporate sea.

The last version they uploaded to everyone's user accounts before they went doesn't have a phone-home protection.
The license is embedded in the installer itself...
Demo work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com
Music for media: http://www.myendlessy.com
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments