Sell & Buy forum scam discussion

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Didn't want to spam anyone's sales thread, so, thought i'd continue the discussion here:
ATS wrote:we really need some new rule or rules for the marketplace. I am tired of people getting ripped off. I almost did myself recently. At least a 100 post minimum. Is that too much to ask?
Common sense is IMO the best buyer protection. Beware of new members, beware when the price is very low, and don't use Paypal gift option. You can also ask if, when a new member offers something, he is willed to send out the license in advanced, and you pay when you received it. I don't think you can set up rules per se, which will prevent you from being scammed, i can't see how that would be possible. Even a "pay $20 to offer on the market place" rule a la Gearslutz won't make 100% sure you won't be scammed.

N/M
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:N/M
I didn't see anything harmful there though, and i fully agree with what you wrote. :)

chk071 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:N/M
I didn't see anything harmful there though, and i fully agree with what you wrote. :)
Nothing was rude or uncalled for etc. I can just anticipate the direction of this thread and didn't really feel like being in a shouting match today 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

i don't think "100 posts minimum" is a reasonable rule. KVR is a big place, and some people might find themselves a sale here even though they can't in other places. for example, i have *never* bought any audio software second-hand outside of KVR, some of it was from people with low post count, so if a person were to finally find a sale with me as a buyer, it would've been only on KVR.

it's just that you have to be more vigilant, as a buyer - for example, contact the developer and find out if the license is valid and is registered to the person, etc. if you're dealing with an honest person, he wouldn't mind a few extra checks. i was always happy to accommodate those whenever buyers have asked me to, and have always dealt with people who were happy to do that as well (sometimes the buyer/seller is much more responsive than the developer).

i understand the sentiment, but i don't think this is the right solution.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Yeah, i don't think going by the post count is a solution either. I recently sold to 2 people with a post count of 1, and both were perfectly alright.

I also sold/bought to/from several guys with 1 post with no issue...

2000 post minimum, weed out the noobs.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:)

A 100 post count requirement is detrimental to buyers and sellers. There are plenty of low-post legit sellers now and in the future and who are not interested in starting or maintaining an internet message board lifestyle.

Yes, common sense is the answer, and yes, some people don't have common sense, and also ignore the stickied post on the top of this forum with plenty of helpful information. Nothing will help at this point that isn't overly burdensome to everyone else. If someone is willing to gamble with the gift option then that's on them. Otherwise there are fraud mechanisms already in place and people can learn the hard way.

i would never give the license first to somebody who promises to pay after if you want to buy it for cheaper you either pay first or you go buy full price

isn’t there an online escrow/trust service we coul involve maybe?

chk071, I'm going to move this to site stuff but leave a shadow topic here, this is obviously a decision for Ben :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

.maki wrote:isn’t there an online escrow/trust service we coul involve maybe?
I don't think that would solve the problem. If you required it, it would have a detrimental effect because some/many people just don't want to be bothered with more red tape. If you didn't require it then you would still have scammers.

I would like a an auto-foe until k posts feature though. Sorry, that's probably a bit off topic ;)

whyterabbyt wrote:2000 post minimum, weed out the noobs.
People shouldn't even be allowed to read the Sell & Buy forum below that post count. GAS protection. These people still can be saved! :help:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Site Stuff”