What is the best headphones to get for guitar practice?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone!

I would like to get some better headphones for guitar practice at home. Can anyone tell me which one should I get? My budget is $100 - $120 maximum.

These are the ones I have in mind, but I do not know if these are good for my purpose;
  • Superlux HD-668 B
  • AKG K-240 Studio
  • AKG K-271 MKII
  • Beyerdynamic DT-240 Pro
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M40 X (A little over my budget, but I don't mind spending a little bit more if it is better than the others.)
Edit: Added Audio-Technica ATH-M40 X to the list.
Last edited by SD456 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

I prefer to use semi-open headphones, unless I’m recording, and I have AKG K-240 MKIIs. They are great, but overkill for practise (IMO). I use Sennheiser HD 201’s for practise and only switch to the AKG when I’m setting up AMP/FX to record.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

SD456 wrote: Superlux HD-668 B
Be careful with those Superluxes. I have the HD 669 model which looks about the same and it's extremely uncomfortable. They are so tight I can't use them more than a couple of minutes, and they crush my jaw (they're tighter on the bottom). Can't complain about the sound though, they seem very flat* (however, one could also call it boring).

I also have the HD681, red version, and it's completely different thing. Light, comfortable and also sound great, but different - they're quite "midrangey"* (is that a word?) in a pleasant way. Rock and other guitar heavy music sounds great on them.

* - remarks about the sound are only my impressions, I have no data to back it up :)
Metal in my heart
Synths in my sound card

I have used the Audio Technicas ATH-M30x for a couple of years and I'm very pleased with them. No nonsense great sound and very comfortable wearing for long sessions on the guitar.

Before that I used to swear by the Samson SR850s, but the quality fell off a cliff and I found the last pair to be very uncomfortable. Can't speak for your other options, but I recommend you test any headphones in person before you buy.

MDR-V6, can't recommend them enough. Don't know how many times I've dropped them since I've had them, they sound fantastic and are tough as hell.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

I have the ATH-M50x, and love them. They're comfortable and sound great.

my advice would be, pick headphones that sound awesome. it is useful for guitar practice because if they're not too clinical or detailed, you can just enjoy the sound of your playing instead of noticing little bits and pieces that you may need to fix in your sound. don't play in "good" mixing-grade headphones. it's very distracting.

i use Sennheiser HD205 for this.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Superlux HD681
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I've mentioned this before: I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones. I bought them over the internet because they had a five-star rating. They have a heavy curly cable. Every time I move and the cable touches something, I hear it. I also have two pairs of Sennheiser headphones, the first pair (now in need of replacement ear pads*) as a result of more than half an hour testing testing testing in a hifi shop. They have straight cables. I would choose the Sennheiser ones every single time.

* made the mistake of using an exercise bike with these headphones on. Not a good idea.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

htohgrom wrote:
SD456 wrote: Superlux HD-668 B
Be careful with those Superluxes. I have the HD 669 model which looks about the same and it's extremely uncomfortable. They are so tight I can't use them more than a couple of minutes, and they crush my jaw (they're tighter on the bottom).
I have the HD-668 B's, and they're very comfortable, even as someone who wears glasses. They also sound way more expensive than the ridiculous 30 € they cost. Love them.

If it's for practicing, I'd say the number 1 criteria has to be comfort. Choose whichever one you can see yourself wearing for a longer period of time. Try them on in your local shop and buy them there to thank them for giving you that opportunity. Don't be the jerk that tries a product locally and then orders from Amazon because it's cheaper. You are paying for that extra service because it is worth something. If you can't try them on and have to order online, it's going to be a lot harder to find something comfortable, especially if you wear glasses.

Sound quality isn't going to be as important as comfort. Obviously something that sounds like absolute trash won't bring you joy, but if you want to take them off after 10 minutes because they hurt/are uncomfortable, you will never practice.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”