Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Loopcloud from Loopmasters

Loopcloud 2.0 is out now, and it lets you demo the award-winning Loopmasters catalogue in your DAW, in perfect sync with your projects, for free! Preview millions of sounds – whether you own them or not – straight from the cloud, and only pay for what you need.

Read more at www.loopmasters.com
sheilaanderson
KVRer

1 post since 23 Apr, 2018

Postby sheilaanderson; Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 pm Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

I bought a Sony PCM D100. It's a handheld recording device with high quality microphones. I want to record vocals and acoustic guitar and then drop the sound files into existing tracks on a DAW. However, it is very limited in sync options. No metronome, no multi-track, nothing. It has a 3.5mm optical in jack, but I don't have a compatible machine to sync it to.

I want to sing and play guitar into the thing using an external metronome and then sync it to a conventional DAW. I know one way to do this is to fiddle around in a DAW until you get it close enough. Is there an app?

As I am writing this, I remember that Ableton Live has some feature that will read tempo, but will it sync the beginning of my guitar track to the beginning of the song in my DAW?
Kinh
KVRian

1066 posts since 25 Aug, 2012

Postby Kinh; Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

no app needed. just transfer file and set tempo of daw to match what your metronome was
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22210 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:39 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

Yeah. Live will do that ... you'll need to line up the recording with the arrangement, then you're set.
flugel45
KVRAF

2112 posts since 8 Jun, 2002, from East of Santa Monica

Postby flugel45; Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

Yes, Melodyne 4 has tempo matching.

Probably works more efficiently in DAWs with ARA support, but even without Melodyne most DAWs have some form of tempo matching, some better than others.

YouTube has a fair number of vids on the subject.
JoseC.
KVRist

338 posts since 14 Nov, 2005, from León, Spain

Postby JoseC.; Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

Sonar Platinum lifetime license, Live 9, couple of laptops, an iPad, a handful of hardware synths, a bunch of soft ones, the usual key and pad controllers and some guitars. Oh, yes, and a harmonica or two...
Russell Grand
KVRian

980 posts since 22 May, 2017

Postby Russell Grand; Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:15 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

Kinh wrote:no app needed. just transfer file and set tempo of daw to match what your metronome was

He said "no metronome" in his post.
No_Use
KVRAF

2278 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:07 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I have a feeling the answers so far are slightly off because

sheilaanderson wrote: but will it sync the beginning of my guitar track to the beginning of the song in my DAW?

How should a software know where's the intended beginning of a track (if the guitar track starts with 10 seconds silence at the beginning for example) ?
So I'd think the only way is to align manually.
BERFAB
KVRAF

6038 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Postby BERFAB; Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:36 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

I've never had to use it, but doesn't true "alignment" software identify beat hitpoints in the audio sample and match them up with the existing track? I believe that this might be what the OP is asking about.

I think Cubase does this, though again, I've never had to use this feature. Others might be aware.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...
flugel45
KVRAF

2112 posts since 8 Jun, 2002, from East of Santa Monica

Postby flugel45; Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:09 am Re: Is there a plugin that will sync sound files to existing tracks?

BERFAB wrote:I've never had to use it, but doesn't true "alignment" software identify beat hitpoints in the audio sample and match them up with the existing track? I believe that this might be what the OP is asking about...

This is what I was thinking when I wrote my answer. If OP means something else, he'll need to clarify.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)