Using a Migration Time Machine overwrites OSX and saves me from having to reinstall everything?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Google-fu powers are strong, and yet I can't find this answer online, so I'm hoping someone knows.

My current Mac Mini is old (my first ever Mac), and I got a new one to replace it.

I have my entire HD backup up to an external HD.

I know that you can go into Migration when I first startup the new Mac Mini and use the Time Machine'd HD from the external HD. It copies files over, but will it do the same with all my applications and plug-ins?

Also, I'm running Logic 9. On the new Mac Mini is High Sierra, which doesn't support L9. But if the Migration overwrites OSX, that means I don't have to buy Logic X (I don't have a lot of money, and try and save every chance I get). So does Migration also overwrite the OSX version that comes pre-loaded on the new Mac Mini?

You can only update your OS and leave other files alone.
You can copy folders manually.
You can also choose the folders you want to migrate.
No it wont revert to an earlier OS.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204350
Last edited by Michael L on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

djshire wrote:Also, I'm running Logic 9. On the new Mac Mini is High Sierra, which doesn't support L9. But if the Migration overwrites OSX, that means I don't have to buy Logic X (I don't have a lot of money, and try and save every chance I get). So does Migration also overwrite the OSX version that comes pre-loaded on the new Mac Mini?
No, it does not replace the OS. The new Macs won't allow you to install an older version of OS X. I think Logic 9 ran at least on a lot of OS X after the introduction of Logic X. Just try out. You might have to get Logic X, but your plug-ins and 3rd party apps will be migrated.
Even Office 2008 will run, if you made all the updates. In case you come from Snow Leopard, no PPC programs will run...

One possibility to rescue old programs is to install an older OS X in a virtual machine like Parrallels or VM-ware. You might be able to get that completely from your TM backup.
The official allowed variant to install Snow Leopard into a virtual machine is to get a copy of Snow Leopard server and then migrate...

As far as I know, the Mac Mini hasn't been updated since 2014 so you could go back as far as 10.10 on your new one with a clean install (assuming you have older macOS installers). Then when setup is finishing you'll get the option to migrate over your Time Machine backup. This is what I usually do when upgrading to a new OS (clean install and migrate back from TM).

If you don't have it, you can find a link to get Sierra from here. This can still run Logic 9.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote:As far as I know, the Mac Mini hasn't been updated since 2014 so you could go back as far as 10.10 on your new one with a clean install (assuming you have older macOS installers). Then when setup is finishing you'll get the option to migrate over your Time Machine backup. This is what I usually do when upgrading to a new OS (clean install and migrate back from TM).

If you don't have it, you can find a link to get Sierra from here. This can still run Logic 9.
What is a "clean install"?

djshire wrote:What is a "clean install"?
I make a bootable USB installer, wipe the internal disk with Disk Utility and then install a fresh copy of macOS.
Image Image Image Image

djshire wrote:My Google-fu powers are strong, and yet I can't find this answer online, so I'm hoping someone knows.

My current Mac Mini is old (my first ever Mac), and I got a new one to replace it.

I have my entire HD backup up to an external HD.

I know that you can go into Migration when I first startup the new Mac Mini and use the Time Machine'd HD from the external HD. It copies files over, but will it do the same with all my applications and plug-ins?

Also, I'm running Logic 9. On the new Mac Mini is High Sierra, which doesn't support L9. But if the Migration overwrites OSX, that means I don't have to buy Logic X (I don't have a lot of money, and try and save every chance I get). So does Migration also overwrite the OSX version that comes pre-loaded on the new Mac Mini?
Did you try to boot from the external HD? If Time Machine backup doesn't work, use Carbon Copy Cloner instead (I NEVER use Time Machine), and make a new backup of your old HD.

CCC makes an exact copy of the HD that is bootable (you can boot from it in any Mac it is attached to, as long as the Mac works with the OS version that is installed in it). You can boot from it (by pressing the ALT key when you turn ON your Mac) and test if everything works.

If it does, use CCC again and clone your HD into the internal Mini HD. The internal HD is completely written over with the content of the source. It's as simple as that. I just did that with a new iMac I just bought, and in the next day I was working in the new machine as if it was the old one (except faster and with a larger HD).
Fernando (FMR)

What is your current system? If it is 10.6 or 10.7 you can officially download El Capitan from the app store. But don't install it on the old computer. After the download you will find the installer in your application folder. Try to make a fresh install of it on the new Mac mini. If sprnva is right it should work...

Tj Shredder wrote:What is your current system? If it is 10.6 or 10.7 you can officially download El Capitan from the app store. But don't install it on the old computer. After the download you will find the installer in your application folder. Try to make a fresh install of it on the new Mac mini. If sprnva is right it should work...
That doesn't respond to what OP wants. He wants to avoid having to install everything in his new computer. If he follows my instructions, he can avoid that, and he can even upgrade later to whatever system he wants, without having to reinstall anything.
Fernando (FMR)

You can't always get what you want, especially with Apple. It depends largly on his current system, if it is pre 10.10 it would not work. What I proposed would still be a solution...

fmr wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:What is your current system? If it is 10.6 or 10.7 you can officially download El Capitan from the app store. But don't install it on the old computer. After the download you will find the installer in your application folder. Try to make a fresh install of it on the new Mac mini. If sprnva is right it should work...
That doesn't respond to what OP wants. He wants to avoid having to install everything in his new computer. If he follows my instructions, he can avoid that, and he can even upgrade later to whatever system he wants, without having to reinstall anything.
Some of the plugins will freak out because they are now on a difference system than they have originally been activated on. This is particularly problematic for plugins with a challenge/response activation. Some are particularly picky. I usually reinstall everything. It is a lot of work but it will save you many headaches later. Plus it leaves you with a fresh and uncluttered system setup.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

sprnva wrote:
djshire wrote:What is a "clean install"?
I make a bootable USB installer, wipe the internal disk with Disk Utility and then install a fresh copy of macOS.
Hmm, wonder if I want to do that much work... :lol:
I'm already running El Capitan.
mgw38 wrote:Some of the plugins will freak out because they are now on a difference system than they have originally been activated on. This is particularly problematic for plugins with a challenge/response activation. Some are particularly picky. I usually reinstall everything. It is a lot of work but it will save you many headaches later. Plus it leaves you with a fresh and uncluttered system setup.
That's good to know, hopefully it wont be a problem.
Last edited by djshire on Thu May 03, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djshire wrote:
Some of the plugins will freak out because they are now on a difference system than they have originally been activated on. This is particularly problematic for plugins with a challenge/response activation. Some are particularly picky. I usually reinstall everything. It is a lot of work but it will save you many headaches later. Plus it leaves you with a fresh and uncluttered system setup.
That's good to know, hopefully it wont be a problem.
It will, as long as the protection is not USB key (dongle) based or serial number only. The challenge response usually extracts an ID from the hardware, and is tied to that ID. When you change computer, it will become unauthorized.

But you can test everything if, as I said, you create a clone using CCC in an external hard-drive, and boot from that. It's the best way to check what will work and what won't.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”