JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Xenakios wrote:
jabe wrote:Using JUCE with that licensing option means your app/plugin will have to show a JUCE splash logo on start up and JUCE also sends some data to Google Analytics. Especially the latter seems to have been a big deal for many people in the JUCE forum. Personally I think I could probably live with that but of course it has to be made clear for the end users why the software is trying to use the internet connection.
Yeah, saw that too.
Not too happy about the data collection as well, I think I'll stay with the free JUCE 4 version for now (where above isn't the case afaik).

No_Use wrote:I think I'll stay with the free JUCE 4 version for now (where above isn't the case afaik).
Which "free" version of JUCE 4 would that be? Previously you had 2 choices for the license :

-Free of charge GPL license and then you had to also release your own source code as GPL.
-Commercial

Nothing has changed for you if you use the GPL license. Users choosing that license are allowed to disable the splash logo and data sending. If you previously had a commercial license, then that wouldn't be "free", right...?

JUCE 5 now has a 3rd alternative, commercial license which one doesn't have to pay for, but it has the requirements of the splash logo and allowing sending the data to Google Analytics over the internet.

Xenakios wrote:
No_Use wrote: Which "free" version of JUCE 4 would that be? Previously you had 2 choices for the license :

-Free of charge GPL license and then you had to also release your own source code as GPL.
This one I meant.
As currently I have no plans to do commercial closed source stuff that's fine for me personally.
Nothing has changed for you if you use the GPL license. Users choosing that license are allowed to disable the splash logo and data sending. If you previously had a commercial license, then that wouldn't be "free", right...?
But the slight difference to JUCE 4 is that now you have to build the Projucer yourself to be able to disable splash and data collection while JUCE 4 didn't have this built in to start with or did I get that wrong ?

I generally get a little bad feeling is something like this is 'opt out' and not 'opt in' but as you said nothing comes really for free so I'm not complaining just a little grumbling. :)

:?: :?: :?:

Other than JUCE and WDL and VSTGUI, are there are more performance driven cross platform libraries.. perhaps more for 2d graphics output? I would like to use vector graphics for my own gui here I am grinding out.... other developers.. what c++ libraries do you prefer other than JUCE for graphics? Thoughts on Crazy Eddies GUI? I'd like to animate the entire interface.. completely vector based. What do you recommend?'
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Crazy Eddies GUI
I needed something similar but I had a requirement for changing the target rendering system easily (i.e. replace it with something that I have written instead of choosing one among the alternatives).
This one was exactly what I looked for in terms of simplicity, but unfortunately it also renders very simple-looking widgets https://github.com/ocornut/imgui Might be a good fit if you are willing to modify its source code.
~stratum~

stratum wrote:
Crazy Eddies GUI
I needed something similar but I had a requirement for changing the target rendering system easily (i.e. replace it with something that I have written instead of choosing one among the alternatives).
This one was exactly what I looked for in terms of simplicity, but unfortunately it also renders very simple-looking widgets https://github.com/ocornut/imgui Might be a good fit if you are willing to modify its source code.
Good call Stratum! I love this thing, integration time.. weeee!

It looks especially great for direct no-nonsense dry guis... like say Ableton.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

IPlug v2 seems to be on its way:

viewtopic.php?p=6983081

indeed! lots of cool stuff coming. here is a screenshot of some vector graphic stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miles1981 wrote: But I don't know why you would leave the best IDE ever, especially for Eclipse...
VS is good, but let's not go overboard! :lol:

There are some annoyances and issues, same as with Xcode and Eclipse. I use all three and they just make me swear about different things...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

hibrasil wrote:indeed! lots of cool stuff coming. here is a screenshot of some vector graphic stuff
Ooh! I want the tiger! I can use him as a meter and make him growl when the signal clips.

But this means resizability is coming, right? :hyper:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I'd like to make an observation: once you add a scalable blur to your scalable vector render-stack, there's suddenly a whole new world of possibilities. Even if you're going for "flat" styles you can give elements subtle glow or shadow (eg. in the spirit of Material Design) for that small extra touch. While blurring large images on the fly is obviously sluggish, with a bit of caching it's not too bad for smaller GUI elements.

Here's one of my (work-in-progress and programmer art) experiments with scalable 2D vector graphics:
vectorknobs.png
These paths are procedural (except the font, obviously) and generated on the fly, scan-converted (as flat-colored fills; don't think there's even any gradients here) and post-processed. Blur here is an IIR filter (no cost-dependency on radius). Emboss uses simple 3x3 Sobel kernel (on a scale-adjusted blurred alpha-channel so it looks the same on any scale). Rest is just some blending and masking of layers.

ps. retina screenshot, so double resolution from "intended nominal size"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

looks nice mystran! is this done on the GPU?

hibrasil wrote:looks nice mystran! is this done on the GPU?
It's all running on the CPU at the moment, for a number of reasons. In theory I have GPU implementations for pretty much all the pipeline stages, but in practice it's not clear whether that's actually profitable. That said, with the whole thing running inside an OpenGL window the goal is to support mixed-mode rendering so you can pick on case-by-case basis.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”