Klevgrand’s DAW Cassette

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am actually really excited about this.

https://klevgrand.se/products/dawcassette/

Hmm. I'd kind of fallen off the Klevgrand wagon since realizing I just don't use any of their plugins I've bought. I'll have to check this one out though.

Why would anyone want their music to sound like it's on crappy Cassette tape ? Years ago I used a Teac 4 Track recorder and couldn't wait until digital recording became affordable for the masses. I can't see any reason whatsoever to go back. There is no magic. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Why would anyone want their music to sound like it's on crappy Cassette tape ?
Every time a new tape emulation plugin comes out, i keep asking myself the same thing.

I hated tapes back in the days, BTW. Good thing we can put USB sticks in our car's hi-fi now.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teksonik wrote:Why would anyone want their music to sound like it's on crappy Cassette tape ? Years ago I used a Teac 4 Track recorder and couldn't wait until digital recording became affordable for the masses. I can't see any reason whatsoever to go back. There is no magic. :shrug:
For some of us, it is magic.

wagtunes wrote:For some of us, it is magic.

Ok whatever. While you're at it maybe you can find a plugin that emulates those old cylinder records that Edison used back in the early 1900's...... :lol:

You of all people should know since you lived through the Cassette era. I can see some kid thinking there was magic in Cassettes but anyone who used them should know better. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote:For some of us, it is magic.

Ok whatever. While you're at it maybe you can find a plugin that emulates those old cylinder records that Edison used back in the early 1900's...... :lol:

You of all people should know since you lived through the Cassette era. I can see some kid thinking there was magic in Cassettes but anyone who used them should know better. :wink:
It's something called creativity. There is a use for just about every effect imaginable. It's about vision. And yeah, I know. Some of these "cheesy" FX have become cliche and annoying. Autotune Cher was cool at the beginning. Now it's just that, annoying.

But I have an idea for a track that's about nostalgia. Kind of like what the Raspberries did with Overnight Sensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARkj12Y6Uh4

In fact, I have an idea for an upcoming CD called "The Cassette Tapes" where I sprinkle this sound here and there in each track kind of like what The Raspberries did with this song.

In that context, and not just making every song sound like from an old cassette tape, I think it will be kind of cool.

Again, it's about creativity and vision and not just slapping on a preset on a track and calling it a day.

Now, you might personally think the vision sucks. But there are going to be people, in this context, who will think it's cool IF it's done right.

Naturally, the songs themselves will have to be good otherwise it doesn't matter what I do with them.

Point is, I can see a use for such a plugin that might be out of the norm.

Not for you? Fine. But you don't have to insult everybody who thinks that something might be of some use.

wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Why would anyone want their music to sound like it's on crappy Cassette tape ? Years ago I used a Teac 4 Track recorder and couldn't wait until digital recording became affordable for the masses. I can't see any reason whatsoever to go back. There is no magic. :shrug:
For some of us, it is magic.
Indeed!

wagtunes wrote:I am actually really excited about this.

https://klevgrand.se/products/dawcassette/
Looks wicked, I'm looking forward to trying this! :love:

This is simply not something to look at from a technical POV.
One could of course, but I don't thing it'll say much about why somebody thinks something like this is interesting.
For me it is.

This. I'll never understand that cassette revival of an era of bad and cheap sound. Screw that.

Damn I hope so much one day they'll build again bad crappy cars of the 80's just like the Pontiac Fiero and Chevrolet Cavalier.

DAW Cassette brings back the magic era of the 1980:s by emulating the sound of a tape deck. Saturation, distortion, noise, wobble, it’s all there. While there’s no real rational logic to it, the sound color gives us chills down the spines, (or it might be the mullet haircut that tickles). Fresh.
Usage: Choose your preferred level of cassetteness with the different controls for input/output gain, tape/motor/head quality and tape/dolby type. Now, look in the mirror and get stunned by your new mullet haircut.
'nuff said... :hihi:

I look at these sort of plugins as a creative tool. Add it to a channel with a delay or reverb for example.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This thing sounds amazing.
Finally someone did it and got it right.
Instant buy :love:

Return to “Effects”