Cockos Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

It's possible to do what you want in Reaper by a pretty simple script.

Code: Select all

if reaper.GetPlayState()~= 0 then
  reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(1016, 0, 0)  -- stop playback
else
  reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(40042, 0, 0)  -- go to project start
end

fmr wrote: I don't know what kind of key commands you are used to, but in Windows, REAPER uses drag to move a clip/region from a place to another (including tracks), and Ctrl + drag to copy a clip/region to another place (including tracks).

I usually try the key combinations Ctrl + something; Alt + something; and Shift + something to perform an action, and usually one of them works.

This is consistent to what other programs do (including Cubase, except that in Cubase is Alt + drag to copy a region, instead of Ctrl + drag, but it's no big deal to me. If I try one and it doesn't do what I want, I undo and try the other). What is exactly the problem with OS X? Aren't the Ctrl or Alt keys working?

Besides, you can change whatever key combination you want. From the REAPER help: "Note: use Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse Modifiers to add or change any of the following mouse key modifiers."
Yeah last night on a break from doing taxes I changed all the key commands to common OSX click drag key commands. So far so good. For whatever reason the developers at Reaper did a mediocre port of the key commands to OSX, as someone else mentioned, the key command to copy on Windows, Control click/drag works just fine. I'm becoming a huge fan of Reaper, but I don't want to be that guy who ignores the hurdles new users will have to face learning the program just because I think it's powerful and eventually will suite "power user" needs better than a program like Reason with it's set ways of doing things.

EvilDragon wrote:It's possible to do what you want in Reaper by a pretty simple script.

Code: Select all

if reaper.GetPlayState()~= 0 then
  reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(1016, 0, 0)  -- stop playback
else
  reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(40042, 0, 0)  -- go to project start
end
Thank you! That makes it very handy since [on the numerical pad on my keyboard] I use Enter for Playback, 0 to stop in place then 0 0 to return to beginning. I've just used that for so many years that it's like the back of my hand and so convenient.

.jon wrote:Actually that dude did not design the interface, the only thing he did was the default skin
:roll: Reaper guys built a framework for making custom UIs/Themes/Skins, White Tie did the "default" one.
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/index.php
.jon wrote:a process which unfortunately didn't include anything that could be called designing.
are you seriously implying all of this
http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/i ... erial.html
can be achieved without any "designing"? :?:
.jon wrote:The interface itself is just copied from Vegas with hacks on top of hacks

Vegas inspired initial development of reaper just like ableton inspired bitwig or our favorite producers' reference mixes inspire our mixes.
.jon wrote: He makes the program for his own use, not for users.
This is nothing but a delusion lol considering the facts that 1) reaper is in top 10 DAWs list everywhere 2) have maintained a continuous user growth 3) Development of reaper is heavily influenced by reaper community. Just because he "started" the project for his own use doesn't mean he's still developing it with the same mindset.
Linus Torvalds "started" linux kernel for his own use but now whole world (from cell phones to satellites) relies on it, i'm 99.9% sure kvraudio is running on top of linux kernel and to say that linus is just making the program for his own use is just absurd.

baaz wrote:
.jon wrote:Actually that dude did not design the interface, the only thing he did was the default skin
:roll: Reaper guys built a framework for making custom UIs/Themes/Skins, White Tie did the "default" one.
So what is wrong with what .jon wrote? Designing a user interface is something different than creating a skin for an existing user interface. The GUI elements are all in a fixed position. You just design those, and backgrounds, and whatever.

In other words, you design the various elements of a user interface, but, you don't create an entirely new user interface yourself. Because that was done by Cockos (as far as i know).

chk071 wrote:
baaz wrote:
So what is wrong with what .jon wrote? Designing a user interface is something different than creating a skin for an existing user interface. The GUI elements are all in a fixed position. You just design those, and backgrounds, and whatever.

In other words, you design the various elements of a user interface, but, you don't create an entirely new user interface yourself. Because that was done by Cockos (as far as i know).
Not true if you are provided a framework that can be used to customize almost all aspects of the UI and with the scripting support you can even manipulate the various elements yourself. In short, CockOS created a framework that can used to manipulate UI elements as user's needs. So you are not limited to just replacing images and coming up with a theme like in other apps.
Last edited by baaz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Did WhiteTie make use of all that then? In other words, did he change the layout of the default UI, or did he just skin the UI, leaving everything in place?

BTW, you and others seem to be under the impression that "just skinning the GUI" would diminish his work, or make it worse in some way, which it doesn't. It's still not "designing an interface" though, it's skinning. And even a thousand words and arguments won't change that. It is called skinning. Period.

chk071 wrote:Did WhiteTie make use of all that then? In other words, did he change the layout of the default UI, or did he just skin the UI, leaving everything in place?

BTW, you and others seem to be under the impression that "just skinning the GUI" would diminish his work, or make it worse in some way, which it doesn't. It's still not "designing an interface" though, it's skinning. And even a thousand words and arguments won't change that. It is called skinning. Period.
Pretty sure you are right - I don't think WhiteTie has had much input into the Interaction Design - no-one has :)

[whitetie has done a pretty good job given the limitations and constraints - I prefer his default themes to any others, although there were some very early ones that I think were better again]

chk071 wrote:Did WhiteTie make use of all that then? In other words, did he change the layout of the default UI, or did he just skin the UI, leaving everything in place?
He did change it extensively, except not in the default skin. Take a look at this: http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/i ... erial.html

It bears no resemblance with the default skin. And it's also White Tie.

My favorite skins are all based on this one:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1049/Dark ... erThemeZip

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/24915/Imperia ... eg%202.jpg

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1719/Impe ... mod_v2.zip
Fernando (FMR)

emCar wrote:
inkwarp wrote:for the most part i love FL BUT it has some INCREDIBLY irritating things mostly to do with shortcuts and accessing menus can be a bit of a chore. the number of times that i have to change snap setting is infuriating at times yet there seem to be a lot of keys that have no assignment. this baffles me. a right-click menu would be amazing
There is a right-click menu in FL Studio. Hold the middle mouse button down while the cursor is above the piano roll or playlist (if you're using FL Studio, you really should be using a mouse that has at least 3 buttons because the middle/3rd button resets to default most controls in FL) then right-click. The menu gives access to a ton of options and controls, including changing the snap division size.
not for me there's not.
also, if you are holding down the middle mouse button down then technically it's not a right-click context menu is it?

BMoore wrote:Reapers summing is also warmer, and it's the best DAW for Neurofuck, Freakbeat, Complextro, Nintendocore, and complaining by non users.
Ooooh :o
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Reaper is a very special DAW-software, really!

Normally you differentiate between Audio-tracks and
Midi-tracks. These types are totally different - totally
different in usage and editors.

But NOT so in Reaper:

You can drop any midi-notes on any track: Reaper
will play them! And you can drop wav-files onto the
same track: Reaper will play them. This is quite
mysterious! :?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

That's not mysterious, that's ultra-powerful.

bmanic wrote:What has always bothered me about MIDI editing in Reaper is how the mouse cursor never intuitively "snaps" to what I want it to do at that position. Simple stuff like dragging a note length, moving the note up/down semitones and octaves, dragging out the selection etc.

It's minor things like these that makes the day to day usage frustrating.

Also, the way reaper creates midi items and the midi "sync" after playing in real time, especially on systems where latency is not all that good (my studio using the prism orpheus that sucks). You'll need to use the option "preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items" to keep the timing tight and exactly as you heard it being played... this then creates very weird untrimmed midi containers that are a real chore to work with.

NONE of these things happen in any of the other major DAWs. I don't exactly know why or how the others work.. but they just do. Reaper doesn't. Go figure.. :shrug:

This is probably what some people mean when they complain that Reaper isn't "tight" sounding like the other DAWs. It's because whatever you record is altered and not at all identical to what you just heard live.. unless you use the "preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items" option on all tracks you record.. which makes the weird containers.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Reaper and think it's by far the best mixing environment but for content creation from scratch it definitely isn't at all intuitive. I use other options for this and then combine and mix it all within Reaper. This has been the case ever since Reaper version 2.x when I started using it. I don't find that has changed yet. I'm still not comfortable creating large compositions from scratch in Reaper. The devil is in the details and those details are missing in my opinion in Reaper.
Yep, midi sync is mainly what has made me discard Reaper every time I have demoed it. I like a lot of things about it, all audio related, but midi sync sucks. Apparently it has something to do with the way it ties midi timing to the audio buffer, or something like that. I don't know what it is, but recording live midi into it tends to give pretty unpredictable results. I like having fun jamming with hardware sequencers and arpeggiators, and found that it was pretty easy to crash Reaper sending to it two or three simultaneous channels of live midi, while Ableton or Sonar didn't break a sweat.

Other thing that annoys me (Ableton is the same in this, but syncs a bit better) is that it does not send midi clock with a stopped transport, so this makes even worse syncing external gear because you cannot have an arpeggio or a sequence running on Reaper's clock and start recording on the fly where you want.

another thing, about the midi editor. it seems be configured for a different set of shortcuts which is a bit mad to me. i actually think this is THE achilles heel of this software. it's annoying as hell that navigating in it has no relation to the arrangement timeline.
it's a shame because i love everything else about it.
i guess people who make electronic music aren't their primary target demographic..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”