MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

To me, it's just not worth squinting at the barely visible blue-on-black, ugly font mess, fighting with poorly scaled controls, and sorting through 37 pages (or whatever) of stuff to get to what should be conmon, basic controls. I'm going to maintain my stance that this is a waste of a potentially cool synthesis technique, and just uninstall.

Gamma-UT wrote:The core functions are easy to get to. It's when you start adding or changing modulators that the headscratching starts. See if you can guess where the channel pressure input is.
Yup, no idea... thats not the only thing in there that makes it imperative to RTFM.
Anyway, not sure what they could do to make it much better, theres a ton of parameters
to contend with. Hopefully they will improve it over time.

In any event, I didn't have too much trouble finding all usual stuff and getting going
with programming it.

-Cheers

foosnark wrote:To me, it's just not worth squinting at the barely visible blue-on-black, ugly font mess, fighting with poorly scaled controls, and sorting through 37 pages (or whatever) of stuff to get to what should be conmon, basic controls. I'm going to maintain my stance that this is a waste of a potentially cool synthesis technique, and just uninstall.
I've got it set to the 1992 mode at the moment. There's another dark-on-light skin that makes it easier to navigate, for me at least.

However, it would be handy if they provided some controls to adapt the colours - assuming they haven't already and it's tucked away in a config file somewhere like Ableton.

I'm persevering as the sync modes for the wave segments coupled with real-time control over pitch, phase etc do lead to interesting places, although I might wind up deciding Wiggle is a lot easier to program. The presets really don't do a good job of showcasing the core synth. Babel on S was one that works for me but is 99% in the filter.

pekbro wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:The core functions are easy to get to. It's when you start adding or changing modulators that the headscratching starts. See if you can guess where the channel pressure input is.
Yup, no idea... thats not the only thing in there that makes it imperative to RTFM.
It's not in the manual. I had to reverse-engineer a patch that had vibrato under mod-wheel control.

It's a source in the Mod Matrix, Modulator:Global:1:Cnt State:Chan Press

Thank you MOK guys for your hard work! :tu:
If the typo could be more readable... I will try other skins.
One more indepth tutorial would be helpful, since Taiho can explain very well 8)
The average bored guy

i download the latest version but i can't find the editor , help ?...

hivkorn wrote:i download the latest version but i can't find the editor , help ?...
Click the little icon with three sliders in it to the right of the patch name.

Gamma-UT wrote:
hivkorn wrote:i download the latest version but i can't find the editor , help ?...
Click the little icon with three sliders in it to the right of the patch name.
:party: :tu: :tu:

foosnark wrote:I don't know. While this seems more complete, it also really doesn't seem like something I want to bother with. Instead of struggling to build an interface that gives you access to 12,000 parameters, they should have designed a synth that doesn't need 12,000 parameters.

I stopped watching the video when I heard him say you could assign 128 LFOs.
He said 128 modulators :)

foosnark wrote:To me, it's just not worth squinting at the barely visible blue-on-black, ugly font mess, fighting with poorly scaled controls, and sorting through 37 pages (or whatever) of stuff to get to what should be conmon, basic controls. I'm going to maintain my stance that this is a waste of a potentially cool synthesis technique, and just uninstall.
I do understand that it can be overwhelming at first sight. First there will be re-sizeability one day. As I am aware this is a feature relatively high on the list of Rob and Taihos schedule. There are some colour modes which are already relaxing for the eyes.

The synth itself is highly interesting due to its wave technology but the real magic starts when getting into the mod matrix. Complicated at first but when understood totally cool, clear and logical. It is a thru and thru thought out system. You can bring any module into focus to the centred column (the middle) and then you only see this module and to the left and right the directly influenced and corresponding modules. One click on the step backward icon and you have the big matrix view again. This is perfect for building complex modulation plus you can rename every module so you know always exactly what it does.

I strongly advice to take the manual, a day off and then work for a whole day through everything. This thing is so rewarding and exceptional. I did that and now I love that thing and it's deepness. As I learned the synth more and tweaked and tried out I came across sooo many freaky and cool sounds I could have made a complete sample bank for further mangling via granular or whatnot. This thing is simply brilliant but you have definitely to invest in it. And so are the devs. They actually do care about all their customers wishes and are continuous working on improvement. There will be re-sizeability and much more in the future. Last but not least, Waverazor sounds brilliant too :D :tu:

It's just not your comfortable zone synth where everything is standard whether in sound nor in possibilities and I love that. It's so much outstanding from all those generic sounding instruments on the market. Of course there are always exceptions :)

nichttuntun wrote:I strongly advice to take the manual, a day off and then work for a whole day through everything.
No thanks. The interface is just a huge turn-off. The whole synth feels like they tried to substitute complexity for clarity, and that's the opposite of what I like.

My favorite VST synth lately is Chipsynth PortaFM, and my favorite hardware synth outside of Eurorack is the Microbrute. They have simplicity in common -- perhaps a little too much simplicity in a couple of areas, but I think that's better than overreaching -- and are each true to a design vision, easy and fun to work with, and made entirely of sweet spots.

For more complex things, I have about 440HP of Eurorack gear and find it much more inviting and intuitive to work with than Waverazor. There aren't 128 modulation sources in there either and yet somnehow I manage :lol:

foosnark wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:I strongly advice to take the manual, a day off and then work for a whole day through everything.
No thanks. The interface is just a huge turn-off. The whole synth feels like they tried to substitute complexity for clarity, and that's the opposite of what I like.

My favorite VST synth lately is Chipsynth PortaFM, and my favorite hardware synth outside of Eurorack is the Microbrute. They have simplicity in common -- perhaps a little too much simplicity in a couple of areas, but I think that's better than overreaching -- and are each true to a design vision, easy and fun to work with, and made entirely of sweet spots.

For more complex things, I have about 440HP of Eurorack gear and find it much more inviting and intuitive to work with than Waverazor. There aren't 128 modulation sources in there either and yet somnehow I manage :lol:
Okay. Not everything can be made for everyone. I described the layout and if learned it's great but maybe I am enjoying the advantage of using VSTs from Glitchmachines for quite a time now. MOKs mod matrix reminds me a bit of their mod matrix but even more complex. I like such things and the more I learn those deep instruments - and I can say that for all the Melda Production stuff too - the more I realise how many other plugins (and hardware) are limiting me. I start to miss features everywhere.

It's a pity that you try to find reasons to de-install Waverazor for the sake of having things smooth and easy going. You will never experience the joy that one of the most interesting and sensational sounding wave-making synth out at the moment can provide. :hihi:

But I am a nerd in such things. I can delve into one thing for hours/ days with a big manual on my knees... the bigger the better and learn the stuff.

I own a MiniBrute... yes it's cool and relatively versatile for a mono synth. But if I only had such things it would be totally boring for me.

I own PortaFM and this thing is fantastic in sound, especially the gritty and totally awesome low end, engineering technology and it is sheer madness due to the 15 or sixteen free definable step sequencers with which you can do crazy things. Love it...Plogue is a kind of it's own... like MOK too. :)

I find that 2.0.2 has a lot of sounds and waves with clicks in them. A bit annoying. But this is all superseded by the need to have a UI that one can look at for long periods of time w/o getting eye soreness. I mean, small choppy italic fonts in a fixed sized UI meant for low resolution monitors ? Especially for a synth that's so different and time must be spent at to learn it.

mevla wrote:I find that 2.0.2 has a lot of sounds and waves with clicks in them. A bit annoying. But this is all superseded by the need to have a UI that one can look at for long periods of time w/o getting eye soreness. I mean, small choppy italic fonts in a fixed sized UI meant for low resolution monitors ? Especially for a synth that's so different and time must be spent at to learn it.
Hi. Be assured they have it on their to do list and as I learned they will provide a re-sizability function in the future. Please be patient. I understand the need here. I have contacted Rob and Taiho for that matter too. You can always mail them or post at their forum. They are totally responsive and very open for suggestions and they are very close to their customers. Support is very very good and the two are open minded and kind. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”