Best budget master compressor?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Kotelnikov

Can't really go wrong with Slate Digital's $20/mo plan for everything that you get out of it, including 3 master bus compressors.

So are you just mastering demos to make better demos? VELLTONE MUSIC, for example.
By the way attack time 50 looks too long, or release time, for instance.

For the moment yes,only demos to make it louder and fatter for like 2 min mix and master - could you recommend something better than 50-55msec attack and 400 release cuz i did try a lot of different values and that's what works fine for now

If you start factoring in sales, especially no-brainers, then the definition of a budget compressor gets more broad.

If you time it well, you can pick up the Alpha Compressor, the VSC-2 or TCL-2 from Plugin Alliance at $100 or less, possibly even as low as $50.

Waves always has sales, so you can consider the SSL, API, BSS, or even H-Comp for mastering tasks.

IK has an SSL too, as well as the Neve 33609, but their sales are less common. Look around though, lots of devs out there, lots of sales, take your pick. Flux has one on now, they make good tech, consider checking them out.

Get all of them
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

PROc2 is on sale, good option give how flexible it is.

But if out of budget TDR compressor is superb.
dedication to flying

What DAW do you use?

Just grab TDR Kotelnikov, ReaComp and stillwell’s JSFX compressors. All of em are available for free. :D

https://www.waves.com/plugins/api-2500 (if it's $29) Very nice on a drum bus too.

But I also agree with the other options. The Cockos plugins are available as a standalone download and the TDR stuff is very good. I'm using Izotope Ozone at the moment, very interesting potential. It is possible on occasion to pick up the Elements version for $29.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:For the moment yes,only demos to make it louder and fatter for like 2 min mix and master - could you recommend something better than 50-55msec attack and 400 release cuz i did try a lot of different values and that's what works fine for now
It depends, of course. Somehow multiband compressors may work with a 10ms attack and around 150ms release. What source and what other parameters are. Long release won't let compressor to "reset" in time, for example.

If the TDR Kotelniokov doesn't do the business, then I'll wager it's your mix and not the compressor....

Tdr kotelnitov + 1

a_Scientist wrote:
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:For the moment yes,only demos to make it louder and fatter for like 2 min mix and master - could you recommend something better than 50-55msec attack and 400 release cuz i did try a lot of different values and that's what works fine for now
It depends, of course. Somehow multiband compressors may work with a 10ms attack and around 150ms release. What source and what other parameters are. Long release won't let compressor to "reset" in time, for example.
I'm not mixing engineer but optimal settings consider 40-45msec of attack and 350-400 for release,maybe 50-55 is too long attack but less than 300ms release is non sensible,it's what i hear as fat sound i don't know maybe have to ask somebody who really understand comps :):):)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGfS8W ... e=youtu.be

Voxengo Deft is quite an under-rated Mastering Compressor. Well, more little-known than under-rated. It's super silky smooth and 'transparent'. It costs about 60 dollars.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/deftcompressor/

You can use it on track duties as well as it is zero latency iirc.

It can take a while to 'dial in' sometimes. And it doesn't work on all program material, but more often than not if you spend 10 minutes with it, it can work wonders. I won't ever part with mine. Great tool to have in the box and it doesn't break the bank.

I'll also second the recommendation for TB Bus Compressor 3.

It's part of the Bus Tools bundle that you can get for 40 Euros.

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_bustools_v3.html

You get 10 plugins in this bundle including the excellent Barricade 3 Limiter.

You also get Dither -

EBU Loudness -

The Flx Dynamic Equaliser -

And ReelBus -

All tools that will come in handy for Mastering (plus the other plugins).

If you're looking for a budget Mastering Compressor this is what I'd recommend. It's an absolutely incredible Compressor.

The TB comp is extremely versatile as well, apart from being quite easy to use (for basic stuff). It has enough features if you want to spend more time with it, that really show its depth.

That Voxengo plugins skin ? Where did you get it ?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”