Waves Abbey Road Collection on sale.. Your thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waves Abbey Road Collection is on sale. With the 25% off discount, I have seen it as low as 108$ on third party retailers. Any opinions about this bundle, is it worth getting?

I have had it for a while and find it useful.

I think the plate reverb and ADT alone about make the bundle worthwhile at that price.

Ryan99 wrote:Waves Abbey Road Collection is on sale. With the 25% off discount, I have seen it as low as 108$ on third party retailers. Any opinions about this bundle, is it worth getting?
That's a no brainer if you are into vintage analogue modeled plugins. I have them all, puchased discretely, for many times more than the current price. essh. dont forget to consider transfer fees in the event you want to sell.

Yeah, with the coupon that's probably the lowest price that I've seen the collection. I use most of the tools in there at least some of the time. Still hoping to find a use for the king's microphones though...(not really).

What other plugins do you currently have and what do you want from the bundle and why? If you just want one or two items, wait until you can get them for $29 on sale (or even less). If you don't have any console or tape sims and a plate reverb then maybe the bundle is a better value. I find Waves stuff to be pretty good overall, but seldom exceptional. The AR Plate is excellent though.

Reel ADT is great! But you can also use choruses, delays to get similar widening. But for the rest, how many chanel strips eqs tape emulations do you need ? :D

Elektronisch wrote:Reel ADT is great! But you can also use choruses, delays to get similar widening. But for the rest, how many chanel strips eqs tape emulations do you need ? :D
I use a lot of different plugins depending on what kind of sound I want to achieve. Often I just use them to create different tones and textures. To me they are like "paint" and "paint brushes". :phones:

plexuss wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:Reel ADT is great! But you can also use choruses, delays to get similar widening. But for the rest, how many chanel strips eqs tape emulations do you need ? :D
I use a lot of different plugins depending on what kind of sound I want to achieve. Often I just use them to create different tones and textures. To me they are like "paint" and "paint brushes". :phones:
I do understand that and i also use this aproach, but in reality there isnt much of a difference justifying to have so many different plugins :) I have alot of plugins (well i think i have alot of those) that came bundled. And when i see something interesting i go back to my big pile of plugins to check if i have something similar. And 99% of the time i do, i can achieve the same result with different plugin wich would suppose to give a different flavor :)

I saw Burillo wrote something in other topic about compressors that can be probably quoted here :) From my expierience with various plugins this is also what i noticed :) There are exceptions due to some processing going on (u-he Satin for ex) so the difference can be, but if you listen and try to match without paying eye to eye to the settings but instead using ears the quote from Burillo explains the reality of all those vintage compressors in todays world (in my opinion aswel) :)
Burillo wrote:i treat them like "presets". if someone says LA2A is "good for vocals", that just means that, absent of LA2A and using a "flexible compressor", that person would've set it up to sound similarly to how LA2A sounds. there's nothing inherent to LA2A or SSL Bus comp that makes it sound "better" on this or that material, it's just that it's set up in a particular way (or is limited to a particular set of settings, depending on your perspective) that people usually use for this or that sound source.

so basically, saying "use 1176 on snare" is really a fancy way of saying "fast attack/release settings tend to sound good on snare". once you get into that mindset, it doesn't really matter which one you use, as long as you understand what it's doing, whether it's a "preset" compressor like LA2A, or a "flexible" compressor set to sound like LA2A. that is, the thought process should be "if you want fast attack/release, you grab a 1176", not "this is a snare, so i should use 1176 emulation because this studio bigwig does".

A little over 100 bucks for 7 very good and useful plugins? Plus the King's mic whatever thing? If you don't have a ton of plugins than it's a very good deal.

I have almost the entire collection and they all get used.

Elektronisch wrote:
plexuss wrote:
I do understand that and i also use this aproach, but in reality there isnt much of a difference justifying to have so many different plugins [snip...]
I hear you. But I am not sure what your point is. I guess it comes down to the bottom line: music. If anyone has any question about the value of using varied and expensive plugins in their music, please check out my soundcloud. I attribute the high quality of audio in my tracks to the availability of unique and diverse commerncial plugins. I couldn't do what I do without the deep selection of plugins available these days, and my purchase of them. My colleagues who use the stock Logic plugins can only get so far with their productions and they often ask me to mix their tracks because the stock plugins simply do not have the quality to push things into a higher realm. So it does matter what tools you use. It's up to the individual as to what they use and how they use them - in other words, there are no rules - just do what you think sounds best and keep on learning.

plexuss wrote:
Nicely put :clap:

plexuss wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:
plexuss wrote:
I do understand that and i also use this aproach, but in reality there isnt much of a difference justifying to have so many different plugins [snip...]
I hear you. But I am not sure what your point is. I guess it comes down to the bottom line: music. If anyone has any question about the value of using varied and expensive plugins in their music, please check out my soundcloud. I attribute the high quality of audio in my tracks to the availability of unique and diverse commerncial plugins. I couldn't do what I do without the deep selection of plugins available these days, and my purchase of them. My colleagues who use the stock Logic plugins can only get so far with their productions and they often ask me to mix their tracks because the stock plugins simply do not have the quality to push things into a higher realm. So it does matter what tools you use. It's up to the individual as to what they use and how they use them - in other words, there are no rules - just do what you think sounds best and keep on learning.
I get you, but i think i explained in a way that it was not understud what i wanted to say. Ok its more a waves particular case where they have lots of plugins doing basicly same thing and to me theyr recreations and new creations are more of a gimick.

Im not trying to make Waves bad, they actually have some plugins that are one of the kind of and they are great if not amazing. But i really do not see what kind of different textures you get from using Abbey Roads Redd EQ vs RS56 Passive EQ in comparison to like H-EQ and theyr other EQS :)

I have H-EQ myself and also tested it against PuigTec and some other "Vintage EQs". DId i got the same results? 99% of the time yes. If i didnt got the same result i could just use parametric eq on top to get the same result. For me most of Waves products are gimicky (a bit like Antress), something that is rehashed of theyr old product just to fool people that they have something amazing, great, magical.

Nothing I've tried sounds like the REDDs or the TG12345. You can use them anywhere, tracks, bus, or master. Worth it just for those 3.

I don't have the bundle but bought everything separately apart from kings microphones, I like the comp from tg 12345, has a nice swagger, like the spread on it too, bit thirsty on cpu. Like the vinyl plug on the drum bus, sometimes I'm not feeling it, as it doesn't work with everything, but when it does adds some nice bounce and trims the flab, also like the tone arm, very subtle tho, heavy on the cpu, there is a cut downed version I never use.

Also the redd console is sweet with bass, lift on the 51 console:), drive control sounds like poo tho to these ears. J37 is one of the tape emu's I've got that has a really nice top end, doesn't have the sense of space of the slate, sweet honey sound of tape, pleasing low end of reelight or the rough and readiness of the kramer, but I find it has its place. Others I use on occasion, rs56 is nice in m/s mode, I'd say if you can get the bundle for just over $100, defo worth it, for the variety.

I’ve got to agree it’s actually a good buy. You don’t even need s particularly vintage sound to make use of these. Used selectively that can bring extra texture and depth to a more modern mix.

You’ve got to watch the DSP on some of them though.

Return to “Effects”