Get ready for a paradigm shift from a leader in analog modeling technology

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I read the thread title I was wondering as well. I was never into a big part of their product line, we are so focused on synths here, that I completely overlooked all those modeling products for guitarists. I have no idea what quality they are, I play my fretless pure...; - )
What i guessed might not be too far away, applying analog modelled distortion to synths, but they would not be the first, Airs Vacuum Pro sounds really nice, and Thorn has killer distortion as well... And all this would not be a paradigm shift.
Which are the paradigm shifts I have seen in my life?
1. From classical music to rock/pop to experimental music. But that is solely personal.
2. Moving from playing the violin to creating electronic music.
3. Introduction of Midi and computers in electronic music.
4. Moving from recording and splicing tape to hard disk recording.
5. Moving from timeline based sequencing to Max/MSP and algorithmic composition.
6. Moving from fixed composed music to free improvisation.
7. Buying the LinnStrument and start playing again.
Most of these paradigm shifts had not been triggered by big commercial companies, though the underlying technology was mostly delivered by them...
The trigger was mostly a price drop in the technology...
The exception for me is the LinnStrument and its cousins like Continuum (the first) and Seaboard. Small inventors and a growing bigger player like Roli got it rolling...
I doubt that IK will impress me like Roger did...

Again, the context of the paradigm shift will be clear once the the reveal happens... One media outlet got it (not the product, though they probably figured out the context through someone letting them know about the product far too early) and it should be clear soon what that truly means.

kmonkey wrote:haters gonna hate here but imho IK improved in modelling over years.
Haters? Really? Don't really see any hate. I do see people just fed up of the same, patronising marketing bullshit. Your own take on it says it all: "imho IK improved in modelling over years". That's probably far closer to the truth.

I guess I don't really take exception to "paradigm shift", as that can be a statement of fact, and devoid of all the chest-puffing. But if you are gonna call "The leader in analog modelling technology", then I'ma want empirical evidence :shrug:

Edit: Oooh, slippery! Seems Peter has edited "The" leader to "a" leader.

I made no such edit. A mod probably saw the controversial back-and-forth in this thread is what I'd guess.

Oh and another video clue was published https://www.facebook.com/ikmultimedia/v ... 156825147/

Sounds like somebody attached an expression pedal to a synth but Jimi Hendrix wasn't passing by and there was no guitar with a MIDI pickup around either.
~stratum~

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Oh and another video clue was published https://www.facebook.com/ikmultimedia/v ... 156825147/
That "clue" would make me think no paradigm shift to be expected. It sounds like a filtered simple wave form. How could this be a clue for a paradigm shift?
Oh wait, we all think too big, its not a global shift, its only a shift for IK, they finally move away from samples and create an analog modelled synth... probably the mini no. 1001. We always thought 1000 is enough, we all had been wrong...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I made no such edit. A mod probably saw the controversial back-and-forth in this thread is what I'd guess.
I'd be interested to know what part you think is controversial. I think it's the unfounded claim, not the fallout, and I'm glad for the moderation to not let that slide.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I made no such edit. A mod probably saw the controversial back-and-forth in this thread is what I'd guess.
I'd be interested to know what part you think is controversial. I think it's the unfounded claim, not the fallout, and I'm glad for the moderation to not let that slide.
You need to ask mods about their actions, not me. I guessed. Not unfounded, though, as we stand by it and this is the ONLY place where someone felt the need to edit. No biggie, disagree with it if you will - you can also voice your opinion to the person who wrote it at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-us if you feel that strongly about it. From reactions to other parts of this thread, it seems there are probably just some hurt feelings among fans of other companies they feel can lay claim.

I'm happy to see people either interested in the product or interested in picking things apart enough to keep bumping the thread, though. Thanks!

On the topic of what's being unveiled in less than a week, I think there is at least one aspect/place that hasn't been looked at quite closely enough in what we've been posting.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Not unfounded, though, as we stand by it
The original claim that IK Multimedia is "the leader in analog modeling technology" is not unfounded? And you stand by it?

If you stand by it, let's see some metrics. By which standard IK Multimedia is the leader in analog modeling technology, and where can the data be verified?

Is it a sinthesiser?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
skipscada wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
MrBauer wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Get ready for a paradigm shift from a leader in analog modeling technology.
Cool, who do you mean? u-he?
"Who?" - when I passed your joke on to a few here and some other industry folks. :tu:
I suggest you model an "arrogance" knob and turn it down a bit.
Stating a factual event != arrogance. Knob was and is set at default of "0"
Such bullshit. The post REEKS with attitude but NOW because there's a fact it's merely that. Are you really accustomed to getting over flagrantly bullshitting people? Do you think your rhetorical chops are really that swell.

I like what I have from IK, all of it, and when the chips were down someone there really came thru for me.
But they should find someone more thoughtful for their face at least here. Because people LOVE that guy and that post is ultra-uncool. It's more of the defensive pagro we've come to expect from you.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that 'paradigm shift' is bullshit. As I know what the term means.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: From reactions to other parts of this thread, it seems there are probably just some hurt feelings among fans of other companies they feel can lay claim.
Projection much? People are just calling you out on your unfounded claims Peter. I can't say as I've ever tested your mixing/mastering tools enough to have much of an opinion, but, other than Modo bass I've heard enough of your firm's synth catalog that, to me at least, that claim doesn't even have a kernel of truth to it with respect to synth modeling.

Maybe it would help you to understand how KVR ranks your firm in terms of that? For me, you don't even make the top ten. I don't think of IKM at all when it comes to synth modeling. There are any number of one man shops doing a better job there than you guys are.

Now, maybe your engineers have the chops to tackle that, cool. I'll be the among the first to say so if you release something that demonstrates that you've really upped your game.

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'm not even sure that Urs' would make such a claim and yet I doubt that there are many aficionados here would put anyone else above his efforts. He wouldn't let me get a humorous dig into a couple of his competitor's efforts in one of his threads stating, and I paraphrase, that he didn't condone or allow such criticism of his competitors.

I'm sure that it's happened before, however, this is the first time that I've ever seen a mod censor a vendor's claims like that. IMHO, you're taking it a bit more lightly than you ought to be taking that.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:You need to ask mods about their actions, not me. I guessed.
Not sure why I would be asking the mods, anything. It's you they've censored/edited. If you are possessed of the truth, why would you not pursue the issue with them, yourself?
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Not unfounded, though, as we stand by it and this is the ONLY place where someone felt the need to edit.
I've asked elsewhere about empirical evidence for such claims, and now it seems I'm not the only one. I'd be the first to accept it, if you have it.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:No biggie, disagree with it if you will - you can also voice your opinion to the person who wrote it at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-us if you feel that strongly about it.
Why would i voice my opinion with IKM, when you are right here; the front-end, so to speak. Furthermore, why would it be down to me to seek out the truth? You know how it is: Extraordinary claims, and extraordinary evidence etc. etc. It is you making the claims. All we want is some clarification.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:From reactions to other parts of this thread, it seems there are probably just some hurt feelings among fans of other companies they feel can lay claim.
Really!? The joke about u-he was just hilarious. I know you are good-humoured enough to take it as the joke it is (Did you chuckle, in private? I won't tell...honest), but you chose not to. Just plain salty :shrug:

There are no hurt feelings.

As for laying claim? That's the part you are not getting. There is no claim to be made, and no other company is doing it. That's why it is so preposterous for IKM to make said claim.

Maybe the users here want to argue ad nauseam about legends, monarchs, and divas, but the developers seem a lot more humble about it, and, unless I missed it, are not trying to bullshit their respective fanbases with tired, hyperbolic, marketing nonsense.

Like I said, i'd be happy to see evidence for your claims.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I'm happy to see people either interested in the product or interested in picking things apart enough to keep bumping the thread, though. Thanks!
This is where you get all twisted, and it's frustrating that you haven't worked out that, actually, No! Not all publicity is good publicity. So, yes, we are bumping the thread back to the top, but in doing so, more people get to see this nonsense.

You clearly feel that members here are just IKM-haters, as though the position isn't justified, and isn't about an accumulation of nonsense, over such a long time, that makes distrust in the company you front totally understandable.

Time was, when I truly sympathised/empathised with how difficult you must sometimes find your job, and how a little bit of you must die every time you had to post this stuff under your name. But the glee with which you now seem to do so makes me think I was just romanticising the fact that, as a member of this forum (and I know how much you value being a member here, in your own right), you would feel bad about having to constantly bullshit your contemporaries as a matter of job requirement. Now, i think you just don't care. That's fair enough. But, at least take time to understand why many members here just cannot tolerate it, anymore.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”