Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks,

I played the RPS-7 for a good 40 minutes in the store and that made all the difference. Sure I'm paying more for it via the ma/pa store than I would online. But it's worth it to actually hold the instrument in my hand and get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. Plus the guy who sold it to me is a real stand up fella.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Cool. I wish there was a ma/pa store near me that wasn't owned by a snake, but, unfortunately, there isn't. I don't like the big-box retailers, but I really don't have a lot of choice. RKs are good bang for the buck—if you get a good one.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

rps.jpg
So I picked it up today.

Nice rounded neck, not to fat not to wide but something that makes for a good grip while playing acoustic and holding down the strings. It's a far cry from everything I've had over the years. Not saying that's a bad thing. The action is a little higher than I'm used to but I'm adapting. Then again I'm used to extremely low action. Have played it for almost 2 hours now but haven't plugged it in. Just more interested in it's acoustic value and acquainting myself with the feel. Nice. No sharp edges on the frets. Level and polished frets. Two hours now and I haven't had to retune. Intonation seems to be working out well.

Satin finish all over. No smudges looks old-timey out of the box. Back and sides are painted black as is the neck. Not worried about buckle rash. Back and sides are laminate whitewood (I'm assuming birch) Top is laminated Sitka. Great tone for a laminated guitar. Though I'm sure it would project better if it were solid. Still it has that old-timey character from the 30's.

I'm debating on putting lighter gauge strings on it. It's a throw-around guitar I'd be happy with light gauge electrics except it would need a wound "G" string due to the bridge. Intonation is fine. It's a 25.4 scale length 12 fretter. As a result the bridge is further back from the soundhole than would be found on more common guitars.

Mikey-Likey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I had .011-.052s on my RK. If the action is a bit high, you could always sand the bridge down a bit. If it is high at the first few frets, then the nut would need filing, and I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you've done it before.

Enjoy! :tu:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

is that you?
you don't look anything like i imagined!

nice guitar 8)

I decided to spring for this, because, basically, I have nowhere decent to put the head, and the head and cab are aesthetically pleasing together. It's also part of my paradigm shift.... :hihi:

This will do my gear purchases for the year. At 50 lbs., I am a bit concerned. My back ain't what it used to be, thasafosure!

So, Merry Christmas to me! :hihi:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_v212c.htm ... ImVuIn0%3D
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

sweet! 8)

Yeah, I don't see myself as that curmudgeony irl either. I see myself as I did in my early 40's not late 50's That's what I look like after a fresh haircut, no shower or razor action in a few days. The glare as the sunlight shines across behind the camera is a bit much that's why I'm squinting.

I'm not near as good as I'd like to believe with guitar repair. Simple stuff like pup replacement, truss rod adjustment, Electric guitar action and intonation I can muster. Otherwise I lose patience and attention. Sanding down the bridge would be for someone with more self-discipline than I have. It's going to stay like this for at least a month before I consider having work done. In the meantime I can muscle through and I can always pick up another guitar if I start having muscle fatigue.

Even though the scale length is 25.4 it actually feels shorter. This is partially due to it being a 12 fretter (neck joins the body at the 12th fret) and the bridge is further back on the body. I really like the way it feels on my lap. It's like the guitar was built for my stature.

tapper mike wrote:Yeah, I don't see myself as that curmudgeony irl either. I see myself as I did in my early 40's not late 50's That's what I look like after a fresh haircut, no shower or razor action in a few days. The glare as the sunlight shines across behind the camera is a bit much that's why I'm squinting.
well you don't look as old as me in that pic, and im 44. make of that what you will. you look good really, not that i expected bad, just different.
dunno why, but i imagined you looked a bit like that guy who does creative guitar studio on youtube :hihi:

I understand. The first time I sanded a bridge I went too far. Who could've predicted that???

I went to a local shop asking them to order me a replacement bridge (which they never did), and ended up getting the phone number of a luthier who's done the work on all my guitars ever since. That has been both a curse, and a blessing.

Yeah, best to let it settle, and if you want it tweaked, have someone do it who is experienced in it. The fact that the intonation is already ok is a good sign. If the action was really too high, the intonation would suffer. Have fun!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

YES Chef !

HNGD
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Bombadil wrote:I decided to spring for this, because, basically, I have nowhere decent to put the head, and the head and cab are aesthetically pleasing together. It's also part of my paradigm shift.... :hihi:

This will do my gear purchases for the year. At 50 lbs., I am a bit concerned. My back ain't what it used to be, thasafosure!

So, Merry Christmas to me! :hihi:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_v212c.htm ... ImVuIn0%3D
Nice,

It's funny but when I'm reaching for a more "80's" type jazz fusion tone I'll use the "AC" setting on my Yamaha THR amp. The AC is based on a Vox AC30 nice mid punch which works great with semi hollow body (335 ish) type guitars.

Looking to get a hollow body Gretsch with a Bigsby. Torn between spending real money on one with the treble switch I want, or a more realistic price range. Probably should go to a local store that has some and see if I really can justify the more expensive models.

Bombadil wrote:I had .011-.052s on my RK. If the action is a bit high, you could always sand the bridge down a bit. If it is high at the first few frets, then the nut would need filing, and I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you've done it before.

Enjoy! :tu:
I've got 12's on mine now. Oddly I didn't know they sold acoustic guitar strings in 10's There are also other options such as Silk and Steel

Davison 'Super Strat' for $52 ($51.95 including shipping) from an Ebay auction. These used to be fairly readily available in the auctions, for $35-$45, but of late the bidding has 'picked up'.

What might be cool, would be a single pickup in the neck -- rather than bridge -- position. ymmv

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”