MUX: Option in right-click menu to hide MUX upper menu bar?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess this is kind of a feature request, but it would be really nice for finalized MUX presets that aren't actively changed anymore to be able to hide the "upper third" menu bar completely, when all you need anymore are the GUI and its controls.

So an option "show/hide main menu" in the right-click drop-down would be super great!

Anyone else into this?

If it were a setting saved with the individual preset it might just be okay but it would make changing presets awkward if the preset selector wasn't visible/present.

pljones wrote:If it were a setting saved with the individual preset it might just be okay but it would make changing presets awkward if the preset selector wasn't visible/present.
I think its important to mention that I load MUX instances as "direct" DAW presets because that's so much quicker than first loading a blank MUX and then loading a preset onto that. Meaning that when I load a preset the MUX already has exactly what I want loaded into it, without needing to do anything additional to it, ie. without the need to select further presets.

I'd assume that most people who have a somewhat integrated workflow with MUX use it like that?

Reaper doesn't appear to have any way to do that.

pljones wrote:Reaper doesn't appear to have any way to do that.
Yes it does, AFAIK all the major DAW programs have this kind of preset, they just go by different names.

In Reaper the presets are called "FX Chain Presets" and one way to save them is in the "FX Chain window" by left-clicking a plugin instance in the left-most list and selecting FX Chains --> Save Selected FX as Chain...

For some reason the Reaper default plugin window view has no way to save this kind of preset, which is a very weird omission, but Reaper is full of these kinds of inconsistencies.

The great thing about FX Chain presets is that you can drop the .fxchain files from any file explorer / browser onto a track and it will load normally. Chain presets can also contain multiple instances of plugins.

Oh, I see what you mean. I generally do all that inside a MUX and save it as a MUX preset. It's portable between DAWs that way. So the MUX preset bar is pretty useful.

For sure portability is useful.

For me, each and every plugin I use is wrapped in a MUX instance with custom GUI so quick loading is paramount and I don't use MUX presets for anything other than backing stuff up.

I agree on quick loading being paramount. That's why I prefer the MUX preset chooser still being there, as I switch presets within a MUX often when working on a project.

(Once the project is complete, it doesn't really matter, of course.)

pljones wrote:I agree on quick loading being paramount. That's why I prefer the MUX preset chooser still being there, as I switch presets within a MUX often when working on a project.

(Once the project is complete, it doesn't really matter, of course.)
So your workflow is to first always load an empty MUX, and then load a preset into that? Wouldn't it be faster to just load one preset that already has in it everything you want?

You might be interested in checking out Reaper's ability to load FX Chain presets via the action system. You can create toolbar buttons that directly load a custom preset onto a selected track. It's the fastest way in just about any DAW to load plugins.

I don't know how much of a workflow nerd you are, but in order to get stuff done I've minimized mouse clicks to an extreme degree and it's made production a lot easier as technology is less in the way.

If loading plugins onto tracks is a big part of your process you might benefit from being able to load exactly what you want in as few mouse clicks as possible. You can concentrate more on the music that way.

Once something's finalised, I don't really need to worry about the top bar in the UI either - I can automate what I need to automate and have a custom TouchOSC panel with actions wired for remote operation (which I do when drumming).

Return to “MUTOOLS”