Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
CWK23
KVRer

9 posts since 11 May, 2018

Postby CWK23; Fri May 11, 2018 11:42 am HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Hello, I am brand new to midi recording so please bear with me. Also, I have searched the forum and couldn't find the answer I am looking for.

This is my hardware:

AKAI Midi MPK249 keyboard controller

Microsoft Surface Book laptop

Last night I downloaded the Reason 10 Lite software. I have the MPK249 connected to the laptop with the USB cord supplied by AKAI. My problem is that Reason is not detecting my keyboard. I tried using the Auto-Detect during setup but it did not detect. I also tried going into Preferences, Control Surfaces and adding it manually. I found the AKAI and the MPK249 in the drop down menus but it still would not work. When I access Reason sounds from my computer I hear them fine. But it is just not recognizing my controller.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you,
Psuper
KVRist

65 posts since 3 May, 2018

Postby Psuper; Fri May 11, 2018 12:27 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

I have the MPK249, if its hooked up via USB you should have no problems and have no need to install anything.

Here's a good link, still applies:
http://www.akaipro.com/support/kb/artic ... n-reason-7
Reason needs to DAW: Props develop the back-end, SDK, performance, options, GUI (no one else can). RE devs develop the now-expanding playground, we choose the rides. If Props insists on making devices, put them in the RE shop. All problems solved.
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Fri May 11, 2018 12:32 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Hello Psuper and thanks VERY much for the response! I am not currently near my MPK249 but I will check out the link when I get home tonight. Thanks again!
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Just a quick update on my issue.

I plugged my MPK249 into a different computer tonight and it was recognized. It showed up in the Device Manager. So now I think I have eliminated the cord, the MPK249 and the Reason 10 software as the problem. The problem must be with the Surface Book laptop. So I thought maybe it was a bad USB port. But I plugged a USB stick in and the laptop recognized it just fine. Argh.

So now I am at a total loss. Anyone have any ideas?
Greenstorm33
KVRist

342 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Postby Greenstorm33; Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

N/m, misread the most recent post. So just to be clear, the keyboard is not only not working with Reason, it's not even showing up in device manager on your laptop?
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Sat May 12, 2018 6:41 am Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Hi Greenstor33 and thanks very much for responding.

Yes, the laptop is not recognizing the MIDI device. I have tried plugging in other devices and they ARE recognized and I checked the USB drivers and they are all fine.
Greenstorm33
KVRist

342 posts since 27 Apr, 2012

Postby Greenstorm33; Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Yeah, I've got no idea what could be causing that. It seems like all the individual pieces are working and something is just not connecting for some reason. The keyboard is USB powered, right? Does it power on when you plug it in? And I'm assuming that if your Surface Book has multiple USB ports you tried them all?
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Mon May 14, 2018 6:41 am Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Greenstorm33, thanks very much for responding.

I agree with you, all the individual pieces work fine. It is just that the Surface Book is not recognizing the controller as a device.
The MPK249 can be powered either when you plug it in to a computer (USB powered) OR with an AC power adapter that you plug into the wall. The device did not come with one of those so I have not tried that. I could buy one and see if it powers on that way, if you think that might be the issue. It does power up fine when connected by USB to either one of the computers.

The Surface Book has 2 USB ports and I have tried both of them multiple times.

Just as an update, this weekend I spent several hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech support trying to trouble shoot this. We updated all the drivers on the Surface Book and also made sure all the latest updates were installed. It still did not work.

Thanks again for trying to help me, I appreciate it!
festeringheap
KVRist

324 posts since 6 Mar, 2011

Postby festeringheap; Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 am Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Does the Akai work if plugged in before you power up?

Maybe try connecting through a 2.0 hub and see if you can connect to the Surface.
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 am Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Festeringheap, thanks very much for responding.

I have tried plugging in the MPK249 before starting the laptop and after and it is still not recognized.

I have seen a response from AKAI that does not recommend using a hub to connect. That you would not get the full functionality of the controller or something.

Any other ideas??

Thank you!
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Tue May 15, 2018 6:48 am Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Festeringheap and everyone else who has been trying to help me,

Just a quick update, good news/bad news.
I bought a USB 2.0 hub last night and tried connecting my MPK249 through it. My Surface Book actually did recognize my controller finally! And I was able to run my DAW and have my controller work with it.
However, after disconnecting the hub and trying to replicate my success, it didn't work again. So frustrating. But at least I know now it is POSSIBLE to get this to work. I just need to find a permanent solution.
MikeMcKew
KVRist

61 posts since 6 Jan, 2018

Postby MikeMcKew; Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

How odd. I mean the only other thing to recommend would be to do a reinstall of the keyboard drivers/software and Reason itself. Do you have an interface with MIDI in/out that you can connect to to try it that way? Based on what you've said thus far, it would indeed appear to be a problem with the laptop, but... just odd.
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 am Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Hi Mike and thanks very much for the response.

When I was working with the Microsoft Tech Support guy we updated all the drivers and installed all the latest updates. I don't think the problem is with the Reason software because the laptop isn't even recognizing the controller to begin with. As I found out last night, if the laptop recognizes the controller, it works fine with Reason.

Sorry for my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by "an interface with MIDI in/out"? What exactly would that be? I mean there are MIDI in and MIDI out ports on the MPK249 but I am not sure how I would connect them to my laptop.

Thanks!
MikeMcKew
KVRist

61 posts since 6 Jan, 2018

Postby MikeMcKew; Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

CWK23 wrote:Hi Mike and thanks very much for the response.

When I was working with the Microsoft Tech Support guy we updated all the drivers and installed all the latest updates. I don't think the problem is with the Reason software because the laptop isn't even recognizing the controller to begin with. As I found out last night, if the laptop recognizes the controller, it works fine with Reason.

Sorry for my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by "an interface with MIDI in/out"? What exactly would that be? I mean there are MIDI in and MIDI out ports on the MPK249 but I am not sure how I would connect them to my laptop.

Thanks!

Well, I was going to suggest that the USB cable or the controller itself might be faulty but it sounds like you've eliminated that already.

What I mean by an interface with MIDI in/out is a box that connects (usually) by USB or Thunderbolt which can send and receive signals to the computer. A common example of an interface with MIDI in/out would be the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. There are also dedicated MIDI interfaces that include only MIDI ports.

Anyway, it sounds like you probably don't have one - no worries, they aren't required by any means. The MIDI connector has kind of fallen out of favor over the years with the advent of sending MIDI via USB.

I can't think of what it could be! Maybe you've already mentioned this somewhere, but have you reached out to AKAI? They seem to be the most likely rectifiers.
CWK23
KVRer

Postby CWK23; Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm Re: HELP: Reason 10 Lite not recognizing AKAI MPK249

Yeah, the cable seems fine and the controller seems fine.

Oh, the Focusrite. I actually bought one of those when I bought the MPK249 because the dealer said that was the best way to record vocals. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet because I was waiting to see if I could get the MPK249 working first.

I did contact AKAI and they sent me to a troubleshooting guide that I had already tried the stuff on it.

I think the last thing I am going to try is using an AC power cord to power the controller and see if that does anything. If not I will either have to try another controller or just give up trying to use the Surface Book for MIDI recording.

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)