I am about to purchase Sylenth1, any other synths to check before buying it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lethal

mementus wrote:I already have Serum and was thinking to buy Syleth1 for its presets. My goal is to produce electronic music
Dont waste all your time demoing. We are all so different, and so is software. Trust your own musical taste!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Buy the synths that you feel connected with!

Sylenth1 is from the best out there (in everything, sound, GUI, workflow and CPU usage). But there are others as well that maybe better or maybe not. Mostly it depends on personal taste to judge which synth.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut! You need to experience with every synth catching your eyes and ears till you find your favourite(s).

I have Sylenth1 and I like it a lot. But I use Massive and Dune 2 more as I connect with their sound more. However, all three are different in character and there are sounds that I can't replicate. It is art more than science, so opinions and taste play the main part in choosing and using the right synth.

I vaguely remember Massive, there was some aliasing and the browser kind of paralyzed my old computer. Haven't demoed it on my new computer, though. Maybe it was a graphics card issue...

Oopi wrote:Isn't Sylent1 like hundred years old. It may have been good in the last decade but nowadays it would be like going to the store with wagon. I think buying Hive, Rapid, Avanger, Falcon, Halion 6, Spire, Dune2 and Ana2 would be a good choice.
I know right. That's why nobody wants to buy vintage hardware anymore. :ud:

ATN69 wrote:- Hive from U-he
- Dune 2 from Synapse
- Spire from Reveal Sound
- ANA 2 from Sonic Academy
+1 I'd at least demo Hive since its a more modern version of Sylenth1. and I really like the quality modes which can give your sound another drive.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I vaguely remember Massive, there was some aliasing and the browser kind of paralyzed my old computer. Haven't demoed it on my new computer, though. Maybe it was a graphics card issue...
You know FLS? You are unique! You are almost always the exception for the rules :lol:

I haven't noticed aliasing in Massive. Maybe there is, but sure it doesn't affect the overall music because the sound is great for me, and definitely I have no GUI/perfomance problems with it ;)

Sylenth1 and Massive were the 'holy' duo for EDM years ago, then came new synths like Spire, Serum, Dune 2, Hive etc. Some replaced Massive and some replaced Sylenth1 but the idea stayed almost the same that usually two synths complement each other. I think it is a good idea as one is 'cold' and the other is 'warm' sounding so there are some nice variety in the sounds. Just one way to look at it of course, in the end there are no rules! Just use whatever inspire you and make the job done :D

marzelli wrote:
- Dune 2 from Synapse
+1 I'd at least demo Hive since its a more modern version of Sylenth1. and I really like the quality modes which can give your sound another drive.

i own (& like hive), but it's like the polite cousin of sylenth1, and (for me) could not replace it...

EnGee wrote:You know FLS? You are unique! You are almost always the exception for the rules :lol:

I haven't noticed aliasing in Massive. Maybe there is, but sure it doesn't affect the overall music because the sound is great for me, and definitely I have no GUI/perfomance problems with it ;)
Just did a little search on that issue. Seems I was not the only one judging from the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVbXlXCUAqU

I had not googled the issue back when I demoed it, after all I did not own it so I didn't really care.

fisherKing wrote:
marzelli wrote:
- Dune 2 from Synapse

i own (& like hive), but it's like the polite cousin of sylenth1, and (for me) could not replace it...
I owned Hive for a short time. Never got warm with the sound really. Let's just say i can understand that it doesn't replace Sylenth1 in any way. I actually felt like low passing every sound, which is weird, because i usually tend to dial a bit of highs in with most synths. Hive has something harsh and cold about its sound, which is just unpleasant for me. To each his own.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Just did a little search on that issue. Seems I was not the only one judging from the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVbXlXCUAqU

I had not googled the issue back when I demoed it, after all I did not own it so I didn't really care.
I don't have such a problem and I couldn't noticed any change in the speed of browsing when I change the options as indicated in the video!

Maybe it is related to Ableton Live?! I don't know. I don't have it installed to test (Live), so I tested in Cubase 9 and I have no problem at all :)

To the OP...you already own Serum, is there something you're finding in Sylenth1 that you're not getting with Serum? Almost every soft synth out there sounds great. i should know, i own most of them. :dog: The best reason i've found to change/augment synths is workflow. i would argue that even synthesis type is less important.

They're obviously very different synths, but Serum can do a lot more than just the aggressive stuff and can edge into VA territory quite easily. In fact, i bought Serum recently after years of trying to avoid it and found that it sat in the mix very similarly to the way hardware would. It's a solid synth even for just electronica stuff.

i would only avoid Massive as a choice because you already have Serum (both wavetable synths), and the extra options and flexibility Massive gives you won't be of use if you're not programming that much.

Also, just to be an asshole...i'm a preset tweaker myself and don't usually create my own patches from scratch. But if you're trying to make electronic music specifically, i would strongly suggest getting a moderate grasp of synthesis (even just the subtractive elements and not wavetable stuff in Serum) so that, whatever synth you have, you can get it to sound the way you want it to, even with just presets. Just knowing how to fiddle with your envelopes, LFO's and filter will get you a long way.

Adam Szabo‘s Viper is the best, CPU-friendly synth right now, comes close to zhe Virus and has grrreat fx. For less than 100 bucks.

Syngularity wrote:Adam Szabo‘s Viper is the best, CPU-friendly synth right now, comes close to zhe Virus and has grrreat fx. For less than 100 bucks.
Is it available for mac yet? It sounds sweet!

I like Sylenth a lot. No matter how old it is, there is something special about its sound which makes me always come back to it. It's not my main synth anymore but i think I have some Sylenth's sounds in almost every track I've made, it's especially good for various psytrance/acid SFXes and sequences. Serum + Sylenth seems a perfect match, i think I could make music with these two only and be happy :)

Spire is an obvious contender, it has more features and more polished "EDM-friendly" sound but misses some of that Sylenth's warmth and fatness. I prefer Spire for some sounds and Sylenth for some others. Another synth you should check out is Viper, it has big and warm sound similar to Sylenth in some aspects and I think it can cover all the same grounds + some extra stuff which can't be mede in Sylenth since Viper has FM, more waveforms and much better effects. It's currently Win 32 bit only, Win 64 bit is expected soon.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

simmo75 wrote:
Syngularity wrote:Adam Szabo‘s Viper is the best, CPU-friendly synth right now, comes close to zhe Virus and has grrreat fx. For less than 100 bucks.
Is it available for mac yet? It sounds sweet!
Sadly not, currently.

Return to “Instruments”