Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
SparkySpark
KVRian

1237 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Tue May 01, 2018 10:32 am Looking for atmospheric synth

Hi all,

Am looking for a VST synth (not samples) for atmospheric pads, basically a sound that is so beautiful the listener wants to cry (I am thinking of adding vocals via MMorph as well). Not my usual style so I am thinking freeware or low-cost for now. All ideas are highly welcome!

Thanks!
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22881 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Anti-Logic
KVRist

155 posts since 4 Mar, 2014

Postby Anti-Logic; Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Adonis (very tweakable too)
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=384

Protoplasm (wave-table based though, but still great sounding)
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1038
chk071
KVRAF

16797 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue May 01, 2018 12:47 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

SparkySpark wrote:Not my usual style so I am thinking freeware or low-cost for now. !

I would have proposed Waldorf Largo, but, doesn't quite fit the free/low cost requirement. You should consider it anyway though, if beautiful and atmospheric sound is your thing. :)
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Wow,

Thanks for the great replies. For anyone else finding this thread, be sure to check out those links. BTW, I also found another of Serrano's synths, the Orpheus string synth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEbry2lkBo). Even more astonishing perhaps: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... 17&id=2445 (STS-17 by HG Fortune).

Like someone else wrote, I can't believe ProtoPlasm is free. ...and the first one with the weird name :wink: thats quite an unusual synth, so thanks a lot for that one.

On a personal note: Serrano and the late HG Fortune have been a part of my KVR experience since years back. In fact, this is my post number 1000! :o ...and it's posted in the Getting Started forum! :D Like The Smiths (Morrisey) once sang: "that goes to show how little you know". :lol: :lol: :lol:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue May 01, 2018 4:22 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

chk071 wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:Not my usual style so I am thinking freeware or low-cost for now. !

I would have proposed Waldorf Largo, but, doesn't quite fit the free/low cost requirement. You should consider it anyway though, if beautiful and atmospheric sound is your thing. :)

Thanks, yes it's beautiful, and much in line with the PPG. I love everything coming from these firms (like PPG Wavegenerator :love: )!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
mgw38
KVRian

1003 posts since 26 Jul, 2015, from Philadelphia

Postby mgw38; Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

"No samples" and "low cost" rules that out somewhat but imho the by far best atmospheric pads instrument is Luftrum Lunaris for the Kontakt Player.
twitewhite
KVRist

45 posts since 7 Mar, 2018

Postby twitewhite; Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Look up HG Fortune. You can find his synths at http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=HG%20Fortune. Incredible moving atmospheres for free.
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue May 01, 2018 9:57 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Thanks for the Kontakt synth - hadn't heard of it.

The quality and ingenuity of the HG synths are remarkable! I wish someone had ported them to 64 bit, but I assume a bridge will do.

Thanks again!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
jabe
KVRAF

1700 posts since 8 Oct, 2008, from UK

Postby jabe; Thu May 03, 2018 3:12 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

I thought all synths were meant to be atmospheric?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9, 32&64, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.
simon.a.billington
KVRian

1383 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Postby simon.a.billington; Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 am Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Reaktor has a few I believe, plus it gives the opportunity to design your own. Of course, this can get complex quite quickly.

You can also layer simpler pad sounds to get something more lush or to add more motion. The advantage here is the sparse layers can be panned independently or processed differently with eq, compression, reverb delay or whatever. This has scope to create some incredibly complex or detailed sounds that you couldn’t get for a standard plugin.
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Fri May 04, 2018 5:03 am Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

simon.a.billington wrote:You can also layer simpler pad sounds to get something more lush or to add more motion. The advantage here is the sparse layers can be panned independently or processed differently with eq, compression, reverb delay or whatever. This has scope to create some incredibly complex or detailed sounds that you couldn’t get for a standard plugin.

This is an interesting concept indeed. I have layered bass sounds, snare drum sounds etc in the past, but never pads. In addition to what you state above, they also have the advantage of the included pads being able to change over time via automation, such as going down in volume during verses.

Thanks for the brilliant idea!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
Try-Harder
KVRer

19 posts since 15 May, 2018

Postby Try-Harder; Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Omnisphere 2... You won't stop crying after your wallet weeps..
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRist

442 posts since 18 Sep, 2017, from Planet Earth

Postby VELLTONE MUSIC; Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 am Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm Re: Looking for atmospheric synth

Thanks for letting me know about firebird and tone2. Actually their Electra and its new Atmospherica soundset would be awesome but it is out of my price range for this project.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
Next

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)