Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Loopcloud from Loopmasters

Loopcloud 2.0 is out now, and it lets you demo the award-winning Loopmasters catalogue in your DAW, in perfect sync with your projects, for free! Preview millions of sounds – whether you own them or not – straight from the cloud, and only pay for what you need.

Read more at www.loopmasters.com
MattmaN
KVRist

338 posts since 6 May, 2005

Postby MattmaN; Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 am Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

Gear lust will keep people buying DAW's. Ableton will be fine because of Push. I do see more DAW's beig pressured to have their own dedicated controllers both due to Ableton having so much success, and Cakewalk being free means extra value from other DAW's may need to be attached to keep interest (good advertising helps also). Also IPad apps are competition, and a kid with an old IPad 2, and Beatmaker 2 for $12 can be the next Premo.

Seamless integration with fancy looking controllers like Push/Maschine/MPC Touch/etc. is what will keep the DAW market going strong with "producers".
JohnNoizz
KVRer

4 posts since 27 Feb, 2018

Postby JohnNoizz; Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

Well... I don't know if you already know this but, I was doing some tests with this great DAW and while doing some modifications discovered something quite interesting, if someone is having problems with Cakewalk such as freezing or crashing with a plugin you can try changing the audio driver from ASIO to WASAPI.

Here's the thing, I was having trouble with some plugins like CodeRed from Shattered Glass Audio, the moment I load the plugin on Cakewalk it crashed and closed, I left it as it was, I went to something else, testing with different audio drivers because I wanted to know how those others drivers works with this DAW and then again made some test with CodeRed just to be sure and I realized that it works very well with WASAPI!
Went to ASIO again, load CodeRed, Cakewalk crashed and closed, changed to WASAPI, load CodeRed and works very well without a problem.

If this is useful for someone...
dellboy
KVRist

443 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Postby dellboy; Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 am Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

After giving this a daw a miss for being unreliable I thought I would have another try after a few weeks. But its the usual problem that I had a while back, the daw not seeing my midi and usb controllers. It seems to be hit or miss on the day.

Is there some sort of way to get it to recognise them ?

Or does this daw have known problem with midi devices ?

Other daws I use have no problems in detecting them.
soulone82
KVRian

799 posts since 16 Aug, 2010, from almost everywhere...

Postby soulone82; Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 pm Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

dellboy wrote:Other daws I use have no problems in detecting them.

Keep using those then, no?
lanfear
KVRist

49 posts since 21 Dec, 2004

Postby lanfear; Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

JoseC. wrote:I've been using Ableton for years, too, and one of the things I like the least about it is navigation, especially using two screens. No screen layouts, limited keyboard shortcuts...

Sorry for briefly going off topic:

@JoseC - I am a long-time Sonar user but I'm very interested learning a little about Live. After testing Live in a few short sessions, I immediately reacted on exactly the two questions you mentioned:

- It does not seem you can customize keyboard shortcuts at all in Live? (Example: three fingers for for hiding/showing browser is really cumbersome! :P CTRL-ALT-B! )
- How to work best with two screens in Live? Any tips for a Sonar user?

Thanks! :)
JohnNoizz
KVRer

4 posts since 27 Feb, 2018

Postby JohnNoizz; Tue May 22, 2018 2:54 pm Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

New update available!!! Installing now
dellboy
KVRist

443 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Postby dellboy; Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 am Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

I love this daw.

Its a fun daw.

Love the console view. Set up a track with a five bar loop. Lets say bass. Record a riff, drag and drop it into the console view cell - and it loops just like Ableton - magic.

leave it looping and drag 5 bar piano, drums, etc into the lower cells and they sync.

Add another instrument, hit L to disable looping - and hit R for record and play a melody to the accompaniment you have just made.

Instant song play along fun.

Whats not to like. :)
JoseC.
KVRist

338 posts since 14 Nov, 2005, from León, Spain

Postby JoseC.; Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am Re: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

lanfear wrote:
JoseC. wrote:I've been using Ableton for years, too, and one of the things I like the least about it is navigation, especially using two screens. No screen layouts, limited keyboard shortcuts...

Sorry for briefly going off topic:

@JoseC - I am a long-time Sonar user but I'm very interested learning a little about Live. After testing Live in a few short sessions, I immediately reacted on exactly the two questions you mentioned:

- It does not seem you can customize keyboard shortcuts at all in Live? (Example: three fingers for for hiding/showing browser is really cumbersome! :P CTRL-ALT-B! )
- How to work best with two screens in Live? Any tips for a Sonar user?

Thanks! :)

Yep, the three pronged stab to get the browser when you are used to hit just "B" is annoying :) You cannot do much about the shortcuts, you are stuck with defaults. On top of those, you can only configure some key presses to remotely control GUI widgets, and that cannot be done globally but only by project. You cannot change existing shortcuts, or import other DAWs shortcuts, or assign key presses to actions. I wish CbB had CTL-D, though. :)

The second screen implementation is limited, the GUI seems to be designed for single screen use, and when you add another screen you actually feel like what you have are two single screens, not a dual screen configuration. You need to be aware of where you are because GUI keyboard shortcuts will work in the active screen. There are no screensets, or lenses, so you cannot really customize your workspace. No tips, really, just get used to it.
Sonar Platinum lifetime license, Live 9, couple of laptops, an iPad, a handful of hardware synths, a bunch of soft ones, the usual key and pad controllers and some guitars. Oh, yes, and a harmonica or two...
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)