Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mholloway
KVRian

824 posts since 10 Jan, 2009, from Portland, OR, USA

Postby mholloway; Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

I own both.

I use Presswerk regularly. It's one of my go-to, frequently reached for tools. I love the UI, the sound, the workflow with it. Love it on drums and on bass, it's a key part of my rhythm section mixing.

I can't remember the last time I loaded up Pro-C2. I should probably sell it. I'm sure it's fine, but I have no need for it. Honestly it doesn't seem to do anything better than what I can achieve with Ableton's native compressor (for my needs, that is, so don't come at me with BUT IT HAS...;) ) other than I suppose slicker UI, but meh.

Presswerk is golden, imho.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER
AdamWysokinski
KVRist

133 posts since 16 Feb, 2017

Postby AdamWysokinski; Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

I've tried both, got TDR Kotelnikov GE.
pekbro
KVRAF

1719 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 am Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

I have them both. IMHO, Presswerk is definitely a more comprehensive, flexible
and ultimately more interesting compressor than Pro C2.

However, if none of that particularly matters to you, I would certainly get Pro C2.
While IMO, it's not the finest compressor available, it definitely is not a bad one.
I doubt many would argue that it wasn't at least in the same league as any competition
they'd be willing to pit it against. While, in terms of shear visual feedback about
what it's actually doing to your audio, it's likely, 2nd to none. Add that to great sound,
precision, usability and efficiency, you can't really go wrong. :shrug:

If what you want is a great, 'go to' compressor, Pro C2 is a fine choice and
certainly one of the best. Overall, Pro C2 ranks very high, make no mistake.

-Cheers
epiphaneia
KVRist

457 posts since 29 May, 2011, from Germany

Postby epiphaneia; Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 am Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

I always hated compressors, as I never got anything useful out of any of them - and I tried literally dozens. Sometimes the sound bothered me, sometimes the GUI, sometimes I just couldn´t stretch things as far as I´d have liked to.

However, I still followed the advice of a friend to give Presswerk a try anyway, and I decided to buy it after 30 minutes of demo-ing. It´s transparent when I want it to, and it colors the sound drastically when I want it to.

It boils down to a question of taste/personal preference though. Fidelity wise, I hold Fabfilter in equally high regard as u-he.
Caine123
KVRAF

5058 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 am Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

I got c2 now too... even i got already too many but it makes so much fun to also see what happens. Soundwise i dunno how transparent it is. I start to not give a cent anymore and concentrate more on workflow, fun. If i want to saturate i use some saturation plugins.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
timwest
KVRer

21 posts since 20 Jan, 2018, from Sydney, Australia

Postby timwest; Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:22 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

I love presswerk! The saturation section can make some delicious sounds! So sexy ;) Pro-C, I'm guessing is good for the clean stuff. :)
dangayle
KVRian

593 posts since 29 Mar, 2014

Postby dangayle; Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

For what I do, I put Presswork on my master with VCA-type settings. For individual tracks, I tend to use one of the Glue (Ableton or Cytomic) compressors or Pro-C2. Pro-C2 mostly on vocals for some reason, like if I’m editing voice overs or podcasts. But to be honest, I don’t really get excited about using Pro-C2, even though I really really love Pro-L2.
elxsound
KVRAF

4510 posts since 18 Aug, 2007, from NYC

Postby elxsound; Wed May 16, 2018 6:26 am Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

They are simply different tools...

I don't own Presswerk anymore, but I actually want to buy it back again.

Pro-C2 doesn't have saturation. This is the one of the biggest differences beyond the obvious UI. Pro-C2 has several different compression modes, which means different curves for attack/release, but it's not a 1:1 hardware emulation with modeled hardware saturation, so the different modes just affect the way it attacks and releases.

In addition to that they've added Auto Release (very useful and Presswerk does have an auto-adapt release), a "listen" mode to hear exactly what is being compressed, a stereo mode (so R/L can be compressed independently for dynamic stereo sources) and a number of other features for better controlling and visualizing how compression is applied. Overall, Pro-C2 is just a clean work-horse compressor.

I honestly think you need both, especially if you've already placed Presswerk with saturation, but realize you need more compression. Pro-C2 in series is great here.
nicksohn
KVRist

454 posts since 6 Dec, 2014

Postby nicksohn; Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

analoguish work - presswerk
non-analoguish work - pro-c2
plexuss
KVRAF

1905 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Postby plexuss; Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

nicksohn wrote:analoguish work - presswerk
non-analoguish work - pro-c2

That's a good way to put it! :tu: :phones:
MogwaiBoy
KVRAF

2475 posts since 26 Nov, 2015, from Way Downunder

Postby MogwaiBoy; Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

Analog character isn't strictly about harmonics. Despite having a reputation for being comparatively "clean", Pro-C2 does actually have a lot of 'character' in the different style modes.
sqigls
KVRAF

2923 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby sqigls; Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 pm Re: Fabfilter Pro C2 vs Presswerk

the envelopes have character.

I'm tempted to think if you owned Presswerk and Pro-C2, you'd have all compression bases covered.
but my Dynamics plugin folder would tell a different story :P

it's like, an artist doesn't just have one red in their paintbox... it's good to have different shades on-hand
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects