Vengeance Producer Suite - AVENGER - 1.8.5 the main thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VPS Avenger

jmg8 wrote:What did you mean by "Strg and left mouse button"
STRG(german keyboard)->CTRL on your keyboard.

I use the magic trackpad, so I have to use a shortcut. The shortcut then seems to react different (like above described) then a right-mouse click...

STRG+Left Mouse is the shortcut for the RESET of the button on PC
(same as middle mouse or doubleclick)

No man, please try the shortcut for right mouse button emulation yourself on a knob and see - on macos of course.
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

msvs wrote:I already gave the answer on the previous pages somewhere. We will take a look at the panning with 2/4/6 Unisono in the future.

A problem for example with the 2x Unisono is the following: Many other Synths do not have a Mix slider in the Unison, they switch hard to the new setting. But we have!
So we Mix (add) the Unisono Signal to the original (centered) voice. This is good for just having "a little bit of Unison". So far so good... but in case of 2x Unisono it would have to change the panning and the pitch of the original voice, too. Its no longer just a mixed/added signal.
This would require some major changes in our signal code to work. Its way more work for this little "detail" than you would expect. Also, phase problems could occur, especially with 4 or 6 - we dont know yet. But we will take a look if its feasible, when its time. At the moment we are still working on other things. The most easy thing would have been, just to omit 2/4/6 or the MIX slider from the beginning, (then we would have no discussion now) but we wanted to give you the possibility to select them. I often used 2x in many patches for example, without problems, you can easily compensate if necessary.
For sure we can compensate it, but it can be tedious and when you work with precise values it's important to be able to put the beating frequency back in tune to avoid phase problems with other instruments. This could be more feasible if we knew how much the maximum spread of the 2/3, 4/5 and 6/7 voices, so we could simply digit in the fine tune knob the value we want, but unfortunately we can't dial in knob values like we can for macro values (that would already be a very good addition, and right now double click on knobs is redundant since it does the same thing as ctrl+click. Not to mention that it would definitely ease the procedure of tuning oscillators more precisely. It would really be nice if right click could open a contextual menu with copy/paste/reset to patch value, but right now it's binded to the inner knob in some cases (even though alt+click is not doing anything yet and it could be used to control the inner part of the knobs, while leaving the right click to the more obvious contextual menu).
Coming back to the panning "problem", it can't be solved in the current state of the unison because it's strictly tied to a mechanism similar to the chorder (it keeps adding voices singularly) hence why I wasn't asking you to rework the existing feature.
Incidentally, the main oscillator is what commands other voices, moving it to one side to solve the panning issue (which I keep calling issue but really isn't since it's a design choice, regardless of how impractical it is for my own needs) would move everything.
Something that could really help me is using the chorder section to control new voices, but most importantly to use only chorder voices, while disabling the main one. But again, it probably isn't possible yet because, by design, everything revolves around the main oscillator which dictates everything for other voices.
Another possible solution (which is perhaps the most friendly one) is exploiting the "mix" slider and allow it
to go above 100% so we would actually decrease the volume of the main voice when going all the way up and fake a 2-voice unison by actually using 3 voices (one of which, the central one, would have its volume down to 0) so we can spread the voices correctly with the pan slider
. If I figured out how the code works (which hopefully isn't the case) this would require you to untie the volume of the main oscillator from the volume of the whole oscillator section but as far as I can see that's the painless route, since otherwise you would have to write a different unison and implement the switch between the two in the current UI.

Please, consider this option. As far as I can see it's the easiest way to have the classic unison by using v-saw.

There is a standard shortcut for right mouse button emulation on macos (if you don't have a physical right mouse button, e.g. using track pad 2 finger touch). This shortcut is here on strg+lmb ( I am using a Windows keyboard on macos, IT IS NOT THE WINDOWS STRG).

now it seems to me that avenger does not take that into account.

I got a feeling cinematic 2 exp is going to come out when the new version 1.4 is available 8)

Harking back to the gui size debate.

I used to make powerpoint slides years ago.

We had a rule.

If there were more than 6 or 7 lines of text filling any slide, the detail was lost, if the whole slide could be seen.

It didn't matter how big we projected the slide on a screen, or even if we viewed it on a small screen.

If there were more than 6-7 lines the text wasn't clear, unless we zoomed. And then the whole was lost.

I used to get paid £1,000 a day for knowing this (and a few other things).

More than 6 or 7 lines of text on a slide was the hallmark of an amateur, who didn't know basic rulesof what visibility is & isn't..

I feel Avenger gui has some related problem of this sort.

Too much tiny detail vis a vis the whole - just like the powerpoint slide problem.

In practice, the Drum Machine is a pain to programme. Too small & fiddly. So I don't use it much, in spite of the good sounds.

It should be dockable, like Studio One panels. Then any given area can be zoomed so it's comfortably visible, on its own, on screen 2, without the clutter of the rest.

GUI size & readability is my only big issue with Avenger, which is otherwise perfect.

I'm prob wasting my time saying this. But hey this is KVR and I'm a user.

There's some maths about sight & content, detail & the whole, that's missing from the Avenger GUI equation.

I'll wait a year for it, which is reasonable, as it's a big job.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Yeah I would prefer a tab for a couple of things, I don’t think everything on a page is necessarily a beneficial design goal.

Everything is on one page because you can't drag and drop modulation if they are on separate pages. With that said, the preset browser and piano keyboard don't use modulation, and if sections were collapsible it would be a non-issue.

kevvvvv wrote:Harking back to the gui size debate.
<...>
Thanks for bringing this up (again), I'm completely with you on this. On my 22 inch display, even if I enlarge the UI to almost fullscreen, most text ist still awfully tiny. Readability is made even worse by the sub-optimal choice of font type / blurry rendering. And no, I don't think that upgrading to e.g. 24 inch (which I plan) will fundamentally improve the situation

yellowmix wrote:Everything is on one page because you can't drag and drop modulation if they are on separate pages. With that said, the preset browser and piano keyboard don't use modulation, and if sections were collapsible it would be a non-issue.
This is not a valid reason. For d'n'd modulation, you need only clickable labels of the mod sources / destinations, not their full control panel.

Request for the stepseq it would be great to click on one bar and select 2x or 4x like in the drum section. Thank you

yellowmix wrote:Everything is on one page because you can't drag and drop modulation if they are on separate pages.
I don't know if desirable, but no: typically in UIs you drag stuff to the tab which you'd click to go to the new area, wait for a short moment, new page comes up, drag to target location and drop.

But hey, I guess Avenger GUI has not been built with reorganisation in mind, themes cannot do anything (I guess) - i.e. we will not see this.

I agree, the font is not optimal.

delete (sorry)
Last edited by godly on Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Return to “Instruments”